Fantasy Casting Call: The Dresden Files

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Damoklese

02-15-2011

One of the greatest book series every written is being made into a movie. We need to figure out who will play the key roles. Here are the important roles:

Harry Dresden
Karrin Murphy
Michael Carpenter
Molly Carpenter
Thomas Raith
John Marcone
Ebenezer McCoy
Waldo Butters
Bob(voice)
Billy
Nicodemus

For each part try to make two selections.. a primary and secondary. And keep in mind there is a budget so lets not make every choice a superstar.

(I dont know if anyone will actually even reply to this but I wanted to write down my ideas somewhere hehe)

Harry Dresden: Robert Downey Jr (Nathan Fillion)
Karrin Murphy: Kristen Bell (Julie Benz)
Michael Carpenter: Brendan Frasier (Josh Holloway)
Molly Carpenter: Emma Stone (Ellen Page)
Thomas Raith: Mathew Bomer (Cam Gigandet)
John Marcone: Ben Kingsley (Jason Isaacs)
Ebenezer McCoy: Tommy Lee Jones (Robert Duvall)
Waldo Butters: Seth Green (Johnny Galecki)
Bob(voice): Seth Rogan (Seth MacFarlane)

So there ya go .. im glad I got that out of my system.

UnbeknownstGhost

02-15-2011

The Television series sucked.

Damoklese

02-15-2011

yes it did.. didnt do the books any justice at all. If you havent read the books i highly recommend them.

UnbeknownstGhost

02-15-2011

It's how I know the TV series sucked.

Damoklese

02-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbeknownstGhost View Post
It's how I know the TV series sucked.
icwatudidthar

So what are your favorite books?

UnbeknownstGhost

02-15-2011

Bieng a fan, I shall go as far as to say, all of them. Along with his other series of awesomeness.

Heckhound

02-21-2011

The TV series could have been worse. I mean my God, you should have seen the FIRST treatment that the studio came up with.

It's a ****ed shame that they never showed the 2-hour pilot before moving straight to a series. The pilot was actually kinda neat, and much closer to the books than anything that actually got done during the TV series. Granted, I saw the in-house version, so it had a bunch of cool stuff like actual, recognizable music in the soundtrack--everything from "Superstitious" to the Beastie Boys.

They had an actual Bob the Skull in the pilot, too. I was sort of upset when they replaced him with a human actor, but it was either that or they would have had to go with some kind of goofy puppet-skull, like that cat on Sabrina.

When I write a book, it doesn't matter to me if I burn down Chicago or create a huge fantasy landscape--it costs me the same amount of time and money either way. I'm just typing. But I guess those poor guys doing television had to worry about actually physically creating all the weird stuff in my head, and they had to do it on a basic cable budget--from what I understand, about a quarter of what Buffy the Vampire Slayer had, on a per-episode basis.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they'd had as much time as Buffy to get their production capabilities streamlined, so that they could have done some flashier episodes--to say nothing of being able to develop more characters and more depth. But it could have been worse.

It could have happened /after/ the station changed it's name to the oh-so-ridiculous SyFy Channel. SyFy? I can't take that seriously. My wife keeps calling it the Syphilis Channel.

Jim
(Yes, the author)
(Yes, I LoL)
(Mostly unranked, mostly Cho'Gath/Nidalee/Heimerdinger)

WarTornPanda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2011

Um...That book series is pretty bad actually. I don't understand why people enjoy it. The author clearly put too much of himself into the main character. I felt like I was reading about who the author wished he was, instead of this nerd reject that turned to writing. It's also written in a way that will ensure that eight year olds can understand it. I prefer something a little more profound, as reading that series is not unlike watching Saturday morning cartoons.

Heckhound

02-22-2011

Excellent! You should definitely hit something by someone profounder than me, then.

I'd recommend Milton, maybe Ayn Rand, Hemingway, or one of the other literary luminaries. Personally, I don't feel I'm all that much more profound than the rest of the world, and I'd be sort of an ******* to assume that I was--and even MORE of an ******* to assume that the world needed to hear my profoundness so badly that I should write a book to show it to them.

The Dresden Files are meant to be enjoyable and escapist fantasy. They're written at about an eighth grade level in terms of verbal complexity (which basically just means that I don't go around using words thirty letters long when words three letters long will do). They're popcorn. If you don't like reading popcorn, that's perfectly cool.

I'm not doing much that the Amazing Spider-Man hasn't done before me.

Jim

PS--Sigh. Repeated for the zillionth time: Dresden is not me. Doesn't look like me, walk or talk like me or act much like me. We do, however, share a taste for smartass T-shirts.

WarTornPanda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckhound View Post
Excellent! You should definitely hit something by someone profounder than me, then.

I'd recommend Milton, maybe Ayn Rand, Hemingway, or one of the other literary luminaries. Personally, I don't feel I'm all that much more profound than the rest of the world, and I'd be sort of an ******* to assume that I was--and even MORE of an ******* to assume that the world needed to hear my profoundness so badly that I should write a book to show it to them.

The Dresden Files are meant to be enjoyable and escapist fantasy. They're written at about an eighth grade level in terms of verbal complexity (which basically just means that I don't go around using words thirty letters long when words three letters long will do). They're popcorn. If you don't like reading popcorn, that's perfectly cool.

I'm not doing much that the Amazing Spider-Man hasn't done before me.

Jim

PS--Sigh. Repeated for the zillionth time: Dresden is not me. Doesn't look like me, walk or talk like me or act much like me. We do, however, share a taste for smartass T-shirts.
Holy ****. You're the author? Haha. I don't mean to be insulting. That was just my personal opinion on the series. Your success is testimony to the fact that I may very well be totally wrong.

My father liked the series and sent it to me while I was in Afghanistan. I finished a book and a half, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Serious question. My girlfriend of ten years would ultimately like to be a writer. She's teaching right now, but I think she's afraid to give writing a chance because she doesn't know where to start. Do you have any helpful advice?