Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Mundo: Carrying more than a Cleaver

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SedulousTurtle

05-23-2010

Quote:
Kilt:
So, just tried out DPS mundo for the first time -- went masochism as my first skill, and red barred twitch at level 1.

I think I'm in love.

Kilt this is so true. I crit'ed an Ashe to death at lvl 3 earlier today -- I was confused where she went at first (we were in the bushes) and then I realized...oh, I just took out ALL her remaining HP in one hit. So satisfying!

But then I got overexcited from that, played over aggressive, and helped us lose the game...its true, Mundo talking like a big dumb animal makes you want to play like one...but if you're a careful, thoughtful person, like Mundo is in his off-time, then you can def. surprise people with a powerful addition to your team's DPS/chasing/retreating abilities.

But, yes, never forget to squish that glass cannon rat first .

OatmealCookie

05-27-2010

So, I really do enjoy DPS Mundo, but sadly I have much more success with a tanky Mundo in solo-queue. I guess it kind of goes for all melee in solo queue though. Or am I doing something wrong?

If I go spirit visage -> DPS items, I still feel fairly squishy, and tend to get focus fired in teamfights, even with a maintank in the mix. I can usually make it out alive with my Ult going, but I maybe get 2-3 hits off before I get too low and have to back off and am essentially reduced to spamming cleavers.

When a teamfight is brewing, I tend to harass with cleavers,fairly well I might add, until somebody gets mad enough to initiate. At this point I run back a bit, let the tanks go in, pop masochism and burning agony and go after squishies and exhaust any enemy carries that are in range.

Am I just approaching teamfights wrong? Or is that just how it is in solo queue? Thanks for any advice.

EchoRex

05-29-2010

Its a problem for every non tank melee in solo queue.

Which is one of the reasons why I am strongly advocating a mid game Aegis of the Legion, after a Recurve or Zeal at a minimum for attack speed, for people who are starting to really learn Mundo. Survivability with Mundo is knowing when to activate and then what to do and where to move to after activating your Sadism and Burning Agony. This comes with lots of practice in reading the various scenarios you will find yourself in and knowing the other champions' abilities.

As I've posted elsewhere "tank" Mundo does not do well. People get a sense of doing well because they are ridiculously hard to kill and are not a threat to the other team. This means they survive better than everyone else on their team and are ignored so they can run in circles doing ~30 DPS from BA, hitting once every 1.3 seconds for 200, with an occasional Cleaver getting assists and kill stealing (not last hitting, kill STEALING, this type of build is not actually contributing with such **** damage and no CC or team buffs).

I'd suggest the build at the bottom of the original post; Or, pick either Build v1 or Build v2 with a Heart of Gold instead of the Leviathan, this will buy you some solid, non stack reliant, additional health and a decent armor bonus, and then if you go with the Merc Treads instead of the Ninja Tabi your Magic Resist should be decently buffered also, allowing you to continue with a solid DPS build from there on out.

If you manage to finish out which ever build you went with, I like Build v1 personally for this due to the excessive move speed and higher end cost for the build, take that Heart of Gold and make a Randuin's.

EDIT:
This will leave you at somewhere around 180 Armor, 100-120 Resist, on top of your 75-85% crit rate at around 1.0-1.3 attacks a second.

>Leaguecraft Link< (http://www.leaguecraft.com/builder/Dr.+Mundo/1c79ffd1d3f168163ff0223cead5deba) Dodge Seals could be interchanged easily, just gains even more hysterical PhysCarry smashing power.

EDIT2: Yeah, that above build is a monster that is designed for champion killing. It turns into demanding focus fire and being able to win even then by having better eHP for attrition fights.
_

Yellow Jester

05-29-2010

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in Twisted Treeline a fat mundo is king. Not too fat, not like 2 warmog's fat, but for me, I do this:

Dorans + pot
Phage (5-7 minutes) + boots1
Atma's Impaler (you rush this **** right away)
Boots2
Trinity Force

Reasoning: You're way harder to kill, and you can afford to leave burning agony on forever. That's a lot of damage over time if they engage you and try to run. It basically ensures that they can't run, because you're slowing them and dealing huge damage.

I'm considering what would happen if, rather than phage, I went with a Giant's Belt, and then went Phantom Dancer after boots2. It'd probably be better. For summoner's rift (haven't tested this yet), I'd be inclined to try starting with Doran's + pot, and then on first trip back getting boots, Giant's belt, and as many cloaks of agility as possible. Build one into Infinity edge, one into Phantom Dancer, and one into Atma's Impaler. I've done the math and Atma's impaler, even with just a giant's belt, is extremely efficient for mundo. It adds ~50 damage, 18% crit, and phat armor. Phantom Dancer is an amazing item, but zeal stacking is good too. You give up dodge but gain more attackspeed and a bit more movespeed. Problem is, they're not as versatile as Cloaks of Agility.

Crit chance is amazing for Mundo. Just 3 cloaks of agility (2700 gold) adds about 100 damage per shot average, and it gets more ridiculous from there.

EchoRex

05-29-2010

If you're not getting an early Zeal, at the least, that build is going to be quickly irrelevant in fights. Like, before you go past the Chain for the Atma's at the latest. dealing 200 damage every 1.2-1.3 seconds quickly loses its mileage as people's health quickly jumps up from leveling and itemization both.

For TT an Aura build is pretty much as solid as you can expect to find without going for full on YGB/LW rush. Aegis, Stark's, Mercs, SV, and a Phage if you're looking for even more HP.

Low cost, and provides significant buffs, attack speed and damage.

Plus, it gets you "fat" if thats what you prefer, though it isn't actually the best way to run to get the most out of Mundo.
_

Yellow Jester

05-29-2010

^I was considering that an early zeal rather than early phage would be better, but having 1500 HP at level 4 sets you up for a great late game, because percent-scaling items are worse early game than they are late-game. The same logic applies to runes. Do you want flat HP for an extra 100 HP at level 1, or do you want HP per level for an extra 200 HP at level 18? Now apply that to anything ever.

Titan III

05-29-2010

Really nice guide, except for one thing-cleanse is completely useless. If you get merc treads and pop agony when u get CC'd, that'll be only 20% of how long the snare/stun/fear would actually last.

EchoRex

05-29-2010

No, CC reduction stacks Multiplicatively not, not Additively. This means that you're only reducing CC by ~60% not 85%.

Not to mention, Cleanse gets rid of Exhaust, Ignite and other Healing Reduction effects, Silence, and Morde's Ult to name a few.

Whatev

05-29-2010

Quote:
Echo7:
No, CC reduction stacks Multiplicatively not, not Additively. This means that you're only reducing CC by ~60% not 85%.

Not to mention, Cleanse gets rid of Exhaust, Ignite and other Healing Reduction effects, Silence, and Morde's Ult to name a few.

Have you noticed how people always theorycraft based on max level skills in spite of the fact that maybe one in ten games is decided by what happens after you hit level 18?

EchoRex

05-29-2010

Quote:
Whatev:
Have you noticed how people always theorycraft based on max level skills in spite of the fact that maybe one in ten games is decided by what happens after you hit level 18?

Yes.

Which is why I always give a low gold item build, which will most likely be the one achieved, and then expand it into the end game build. Doing so doesn't always make the most explosive build possible, Build v2 for example, but they are always going to be competitors through the most important portion of the game, mid game, when people are flailing away with builds that only become viable late game.

This is another recurrent theme in how people refuse to change the order in which they take abilities, take items, and roam the jungle or stay home in their lanes. They try to force the game into being a mainly PvE game for the first 30 minutes, and get destroyed by people playing the game as it is and maximizing what is possible with what they have.