Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Mundo: Carrying more than a Cleaver

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gumb E

Recruiter

02-27-2010

I'll add you to my friends list. We've got some medium-skill players who do pretty poorly in solo queue, but coordinating over Ventrilo we're pretty awesome as a premade. Karthus's ult + communication = OP, lol. There's 6 of us in theory, but there's usually 4 of us on at a given time, so we'd love to help you test your Mundo-ing!

Azghyn Nite

Recruiter

02-27-2010

Does mundo even do that good?

Xeroxhands

02-27-2010

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet (TL;DR) but there is something you should strongly consider when Mundo has a health pool under 3k (this happens often with DPS Mundo build):

If your team has committed to a fight or you have committed to a gank, pop your ult BEFORE running into the fray. DPS Mundo can be somewhat fragile and you really can't afford baby-nuking yourself in the middle of a fight where you will most likely get focused into the ground before your regen even means anything. Popping ult early allows you to go into the fight with full health, and a good ~10 seconds left on your regen.

EDIT: Whoever mentioned Dodge runes on Mundo may be on to something. My previous build was split down the middle crit dmg/atk spd so I'd start with 19% boost to each stat, but starting with 11% Dodge coupled with Ninja Tabi and the inevitable Phantom Dancer in a DPS build will put you in the ballpark of ~40% chance to dodge, which plays into this style of build very well.

Also, for what it's worth, my blue pills are as follows:

1. Brawler Gloves, 2x HPot
2. Zeal, Boots of Speed
3. Lvl 2 Boots (varies), Cloak of Agility
4. Phantom Dancer
5. Phage
6. Frozen Mallet

Most games are over by then, but it's worthwhile to note that after this point there is nothing wrong with buying team items if needed (auras etc.)

EchoRex

02-27-2010

Quote:
Azghyn Nite:
Does mundo even do that good?

Mundo's damage potential has always been a solid choice, but previously he has been limited by how Sadism works and heal reductions, but mostly limited by the absolute **** builds most people use.

Before the Spirit Visage changes, Mundo had the potential to do well, but definitely felt the impact of not having a truly ultimate 'R' ability due to how heal over times work. At this time Mundo was reliant upon getting early kills to really be a Carry.

After the Spriti Visage changes, Mundo still felt the lack, but was able to compensate by making each tick huge. At this time Mundo just snowballed continuously through out the game until he reach critical mass.

After the destroying of Executioner's Calling most recently... Mundo can just rofl-stomp if he gets an early kill, or is allowed to roam farm at will.

Quote:
FanciestPants:
So...after that very wordy post, what's your preference? Should i just dive straight into more damage, or should I focus on getting more overall hp/armor? Or would attack speed/overall lifesteal be more usefull in this stage of the game?

That was generally the point in the game that I finished the Banshee's before the Spirit Visage change, and would suggest making a Banshee's for anyone who is having some survivability issues.

The name of the game isn't so much increasing the sheer amount of health, but to reduce the incoming damage so that the mechanics of heal over time effects, which Mundo has more than enough of with natural growth, can play a part.

It isn't odd for this build to reach 150+ armor/resist with ~40% dodge if you so wanted to tweak it back into the old build, with Banshee's being a core item instead of taking Spirit Visage and then taking a Guardian Angel late game.

EchoRex

02-27-2010

Since Riot decided to gut Executioner's Calling, I'm going to be playing around with not using a SV. Though the prevalence of Ignite still may force it to be taken.

But that decision can be made at the loading screen.

Against a team that has one or maybe two Ignites, I would suggest going back to the old build of:

Quick match, low gold:

Doran's (Aegis if you get voted into being its carrier)
Ninja Tabi
Zeal
Zeal
Executioner's
Negatron Cloak

Building into:

Banshee's
Ninja Tabi
Executioner's
Phantom Dancer
Phantom Dancer

Last slot for an Last Whisper, Guardian Angel, Infinity Edge, Frozen Mallet, whatever.

For heavy ignite team compositions, yeah stick to the new builds using the Spirit Visage as a rushed core item.

AnAmericanZombie

02-28-2010

I played a similar build that had great results but it went more like this

Emblem
zeal
zeal

emblem to starks
then got PDx2
then Bloodthirster

then the game ended with us winning =)

EchoRex

03-10-2010

That works, but never expect to get to that much gold earned normally.

Including just boots, you're looking at a ~14k gold build where as most games are only reaching the 7k, 8k, maybe 9k range of gold earned. It speaks well that you built the base, and very helpful, items first for most of your build then expanded, rather than trying to rush one item at the detriment of everything else.

It is always good to know thats where you want to head to with your build. But most players, and many guides for that matter, fail in their itemization due to not having a low cost core build that they build off of to reach that kind of end game perfect scenario build.

I always build towards a ~7k build that is strong combined with the champion abilities versus other similar price range builds, then build up from there. Doing so usually avoids those awkward points in a game where you are too fragile to capably fill your role, or too low damage to fulfill your role, but sturdier than what is called for if you were dealing relevant damage.

(Also, Updated builds/runes for builds on the previous pages)

xSJx

04-11-2010

This is an awesome mundo guide.

Inarus

04-18-2010

what do you think about doran's shield + pot as starting items?

Yellow Jester

04-19-2010

Good guide, i read a lot of mundo guides and I get a lot of mundo opinions from them. Yours is a very good guide and I will try out your advice.

EDIT: Also I came to the bead + potions build on my own but I haven't had anywhere to go from there. I tried trinity force but it didn't add that much, I'd prefer constant damage over once in a while trinity force.

EDIT: Why no last whisper? Nobody seems to want to put a last whisper into their builds, but why? It's 40% attack speed, 20 damage, AND 40% armor pen. As mundo you're highly resistant to CC effects. Who usually has the CC effects to initiate conflict? the tank. Rammus taunts, Amumu stuns, alistar pops, blitz pulls, poppy pushes, etc. So as the tank they have no doubt got huge armor. So why not just say "**** that" and eat them?

My personal additions to this: I don't know if you can crit towers or whatever, but I generally see mundo as the ultimate tower pusher. he's fast, strong, can dish out damage and recover from it, and get away clean. He's almost the ultimate pusher. Once you get your ult and start eating people you're unstoppable. So I generally try and get a few hits in on the tower whenever I feel like I can get away with it.

I'm going to suggest a weird build right now. Start with cloth armor or a mantle and X amount of potions, build a guardian angel first. At early game you don't need items to put out the hurt. Level cleaver most and your other two abilities evenly, because they both scale at the same rate and having a 55 damage agony and a 55 damage masochism is better than an 85 damage version of either. Build a last whisper. Then build Zeal into Phantom Dancer. Then pick up a sword of the occult and start getting kills.

The last 2 items are spirit visage and stark's fervor. you may want the spirit visage first. After you get your ult you can stay forever so don't worry about when you get everything.

I'm going to give this, and other builds, a try tomorrow. I've got one idea that starts with Hearts of Gold and builds a lot of Sunfire Cloaks.