Tank Olaf vs. Off-tank Olaf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cholologist

02-12-2011

I been debating for awhile because I got the Brolaf skin recently (friggin awesome) so I'll be playing tons of Olaf.

My question is whether tank or off-tank is better on Olaf.

My build for Tank is:
Wriggles (jungle)
Merc Treads
Banshee's Veil
Randuins
Guardian Angel
Atma's Impaler

My Off-tank/DPS build is:
Wriggles (jungle)
Merc or Berzeker boots
Ghostblade
Starks
Banshees veil or Randuins
Frozen Mallet

In team fights, I can easily take out 2 of the enemy team's squishy (off-tank build) because my Undertow + Reckless swing just destroys them. However, Ragnarok doesn't block all of the incoming damage so after it wears off, I can get bursted down pretty fast.

Because of Olaf's passive, Vicious Strikes, and Atmas, I think this can make tank Olaf much better than Off-tank since he gains attack speed whether you build it or not. Also the high health is much more beneficial to his W and Atmas. The only problem I see with this is that I won't have enough lifesteal to stay at low health.

TL;DR Full tank Olaf or Off-tank/Damage?

Level 1 Magikarp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2011

Do you also go by metallix78?

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

02-12-2011

imo if you go tank Olaf you should incorporate CDR into there.

Olaf's skills are very powerful as-is (if you are decent at getting double hits from Undertow) and already on fairly low CDs, but reducing them even further means Reckless Swings every 2.4 seconds, and Undertow recharges the instant you pick up your axe (the difference between .5 second between Undertows and 3 seconds between Undertows is huge).

It helps you remain relevant despite having Atma's is your only DPS item and getting Atma's last.

apapersack

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2011

core:
mercs
wriggles
banshees
try to have oracles as often as possible
be green potted late game

"other" items:
randuins
atmas
ghostblade
ga
warmogs
last whisper
starks

if fed:
infinity edge, it's just so lolsy

Moxius

02-12-2011

olaf is not a tank -__-

BroForgotnglory

02-12-2011

Personally i prefer tank olaf. Altho im not a very good brolaf lol.

All in all you should be basing your items off the enemy champions not off of a predetermined build.

Sanman

02-12-2011

Tank olaf unless you're trolling/playing baddies on a smurf.

More health/defense = more time spent at lower health in the heat of battle = more attack speed from passive = more effective DPS.

You should never ever build an attack speed item on olaf, it is redundant and not necessary. Ghostblade is the only one I'd say is okay, because the active helps you chase.

But putting off BV and Omen any longer than is strictly necessary is making your mid game worse, and the absolute last thing olaf needs is a weak(er) mid game.

And yes olaf is not a tank, but building tank on him gets the best results and the best DPS for the buck. Plus it gives you staying power and the ability to initiate if need be/pull off ballsy ****.

Cholologist

02-12-2011

what items should I incorporate to reach max cdr?

I have flat CDR glyphs so thats 5.85%, randuins is 8%, thats only 13%...

Cholologist

02-12-2011

bump.

Analu

02-12-2011

'Offtank' doesn't mean that you have less survivability. It means that you aren't good at initiating or protecting your carries. Olaf can't be a tank.