League Of Legends as an E-Sport

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuJu

02-11-2011

I am in no way trying to Bash League Of Legends for what it is but after almost 2 years playing League Of Legends(Beta & Retail) I still find League Of Legends to be lacking competitively and as an E-Sport. Some of you might take the blame on Observer mode and Replays however this is not the case in my own opinion. Why? The reason being is that this game simply lacks the dedication of the community and possibly the management of LoL's E-Sports scene itself.

Let me break this down into 3 simple parts.

A) What is E-sports

B) The State of LoL

C) LoL vs Other Games

Mind you all of his are simply of my own opinion and you can take it with a grain of salt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A) What is Esports?

Copy Paste from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Electronic Sports, abbreviated e-Sports is used as a general term to describe the play of video games competitively. Other terms include competitive gaming, professional gaming, cybersports and V-Sports.
Games that are considered Electronic Sports normally belong to the Real Time Strategy, Fighting game, First Person Shooter, Massively Multiplayer Online and Racing genres. They are played competitively at amateur, semi-professional and professional levels including in professional leagues and tournaments.
Simply put, E-sports is the competitive aspect of a game. Some games are popular in this category and some simply are not, for example an extremely popular E-sport at the moment is SC2 where players earn salaries from their respect teams along with the community hosting many tournaments where first place can fetch you 5k in a semi major online tournament or you can attend the "GSL" which offers you a first place of 86,000USD during the opens and 50,000 for the Code S tournaments. Now we have the generally popular Esports which are basically, "Halo, SF4, CS" and yes unfortunately HoN which is ahead of LoL in this category BUT not by a long shot. All of the games in these category are well respected and have respectable followings of players.

B) The State of LoL

Now this is where it gets tricky for me. I am in no way an high ELO player for League Of Legends but I am the founder of Clan INN which is a competitive League Of Legends clan and I know where the competitive scene is at the moment due to our players constantly giving me information about it such as the top teams, tournaments etc etc. Now the state of LoL as an E-sport is no where near enough as the games I listed above in part A and the reason being is is that LoL that:

1. LoL is always Portrayed as too casual compared to other games. Whenever or not this is true or not but from the many competitive players that I have met most of them are usually interested in sticking with HoN or Dota instead simply due to how big the competitive scene is in those games due to simply harder game mechanics, a more "serious" audience and most importantly the "Money" involved. I do realize that Season 1 of LoL offers 100,000 USD to the winning team but that is pretty much the only major tournament other than WCG. Winning Riot points from the smaller tournaments isn't going to promote LoL as an E-sport at all. My suggestion is that LoL should have a "Tournament Page" just like hon does. @ http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/tournaments.php, however with a twist. This page is where players can post their own tournaments in instead of for tournaments in the Season one circuit page All we really have is the "competitive" page that no one really looks at judging from the view counts. Hell even look at Team Liquid: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=36

It is absolutely stunning at how many community organized tournaments there are for SC2.

2. The game and the community is not dynamic enough: This goes back to the first point. League Of Legends does not have the mechanics of a "Popularized" E-Sport. One of the amazing things of Dota was how skilled players could Juke around the tree's. In LoL we have brush but most of us would agree that juking with brush isn't the same as the tree system in Dota and to me it seems like a really lazy way of trying to introduce a new game mechanic. Now I do realize that this isn't going to be changed but maybe we could add a new strategic element to LoL? Characters on High ground will have increased sight and vision of the area in order to give a "High ground" advantage where players on lower ground will not be able to see those on higher ground and this will possibly encourage more strategic depth. Maybe heroes should be able to dynamically change the game a bit more just like Anivia? Singed's fling should be usable on teammates along with alistars headbutt etc. Masteries could also use a face-lift as well but I won't get into that.

3. There is not much E-sports coverage: Do we ever see CEVO results on the front page of LoL? Do we ever see special reports on top LoL teams? I do realize that there ARE results and articles on the front page but the general LoL populace are generally ignorant about what is going on, maybe some of this coverage should also be shown in-game as well? Or possibly these needs to be more displayed more clearly. Many SF4 players know who Diago Umehara is, Many SC2 players know who IdrA is and only a handful of LoL players really know who HotShotGG is.

C) LoL vs Other Games

Now when compare LoL to other games as an E-Sport many players would agree that the LoL scene doesn't look too promising compared to other games. The casual approach is fine and all but reaching the top echelon of completive play isn't worth it when there are long queue waits and a shortage of mainstream tournaments where teams can get recognition. Also do realize that the ESL is here which is a generally decent sized tournament with 35,000$ in prizes but as again the general public doesn't really know about these due to the lack of E-sports promotion. Chances are that the general HoN player is more knowledgeable of his game.

Look at the SC2 competitive scene, there is SO much E-Sports promotion that more and more tournaments are appearing and the general player knows "Which player is ownage", "which team is the best" due the top 200 players constantly being posted every week on the front page news It would be great if Riot perused this more in getting more and more League players interested into LoL E-sports. I do realize that observer mode is eventually going to be implemented and another great way to promote LoL is "Casting" which is done very often in SC2 and in HoN where we would have commentators providing coverage of the game sports style in order to show everyone what is going on.

I do realize that LoL does go towards a casual approach as stated above but I do believe that Riot should introduce the concept of E-sports step by step to newer players in order to fuel up more hype and interest in the scene. It would be great if more coverage was posted in the game client for everyone to see along with community tournaments etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway in conclusion this is what I feel about LoL as an E-sport at the moment, the scene is there but it isn't exactly doing stellar compared to other games. Look at it this way, when DOTA 2 comes out I believe that most of the competitive will probably leave LoL and LoL will be known as a game of "Casuals" which it is already known for and if this is the case what is the point of hiring RiotMarcou? I used to play League Of Legends quite a lot but as of late I am a Masters SC2 player who still loves to appreciate League Of Legends that I always try to fit 1-2 games a day due to how fun this game is. It's really disappointing how LoL hasn't taken big steps into the world of Esports and in my opinion LoL deserves to be up there with SC2/SF4 etc and completely beat out HoN in the completely since we all know LoL has the superior general game play anyway. This is what I see and this is my own opinion on things.

Thanks for reading!

ByakuyaYO

02-11-2011

I agree with your entire post +1

And I would like to see LoL as a competitive esport, because I'll probably still play it even when I get a new PC.

The tournaments page is a wonderful idea. Tencent allegedly bought Riot for $400 million, so surely they could fire up more contests as a way to get people playing more seriously.

League of Legends blog for those who may be interested: http://riotoflegends.blogspot.com/

SuJu

02-11-2011

Thanks, It's awesome to see people who agree with me.

Yugi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2011

Omg.

Esport league of legends plox
then I'd be athletic. mentally.

Iceyou

02-11-2011

Yep, just bringing this up.
HoN has a tournament page with major gaming companies sponsoring them. Clearly they are doing something right

bomberfox

02-11-2011

Good post, I generally agree with most of it. I would love to see a lot more depth introduced in terms of characters with higher skill caps, different map/terrain dynamics, mastery expansion, etc. However I have hope for Riot and LoL, I acknowledge that they are a young company and this is a relatively new game, so I feel that this game has nowhere to go but up.

SuJu

02-11-2011

It is going to go up but at a very slow rate for a game that was made to be an E-Sport generally. HoN is ahead of us, granddad CS is above us, SC2 is the moon and SF4 is the top floor of your apartment. LoL just seems like a basement to me.

ByakuyaYO

02-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceyou View Post
Yep, just bringing this up.
HoN has a tournament page with major gaming companies sponsoring them. Clearly they are doing something right
Did you even read what OP said? He mentioned that.

SuJu

02-11-2011

If there is a community tournament page, it would be a great step into getting the scene going. Everything gets buried in general chat anyway.

Whist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-11-2011

Post makes sense..

I agree when I play lol I just don't get the "holy **** this game is for people way out of my league" kinda feeling...I feel like I have my place as a casualcore gamer.

However, I think that you're wrong about observer mode not being a huge deal...I think it will really skyrocket lol's competative scene...

not only will people be obsessed with downloading pro match replays...but there will no doubt be many people attempting to make a name for themselves casting matching much like people like husky do for starcraft.

If more tournaments and high end play is made easily accessible to the community the community will become more focused on that.

12345 ... 9