MF: Items, Runes, Masteries, and Summoner Spells

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShallowJam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2011

Been playing MF this week and really enjoying her, but having a hard time tracking down a good way to build her.

Runes:
Right now im running armor pen reds, manap5/lvl yellows, CDR blues, and health quints. not necessarily looking to break the bank on new runes right now, but these seem to be working fine. any suggestions and discussion still welcome.

Masteries:
im doing 21/0/9 which i think is pretty standard. even though her abilities dont crit, im still taking the increased crit damage mastery at the bottom. I think i'd rather have the points there than in an extra couple % attack speed. again, discuss.

Summoner Spells:
I have run different spells almost each time i've played her. combinations of flash, ghost, and ignite ostly. Im wondering about exhaust too. I definitely like either flash or ghost, but something like flash and exhaust might do. escaping 1v1s seems to be the focus of my summoner spells because im not usre if its just me, but i always die in 1v1s against bruisers. ignite doesnt seem to be that useful.

Items:
This really is the most important issue, isnt it? I usually start with a dorans blade and then a BF sword for a bloodthirster, and i think thats a great starting item. Then i get merc treads. after that is where im not sure what to do next. Frozen mallet seems good but i feel like i lose a lot of damage if i go for that. Infinity edge is a nice item, but it has crit, which MF doesnt need, right? I remembered hearing her abilities cant crit, and she isnt really an autoattack champ, so IE seems really expensive for what you get on MF. the run speed on phantom dancer seems nice, but a large component of it is crit, and it seems wasted. i usually end up getting last whisper next, and then madreds, but that is usually a build for eating tanks. if the enemy team isnt tanky, these items seem like a waste.

Advice? discuss.

soxfan3247

03-08-2011

I've also been playing her a lot this week, and I've found that vamp scepter is a good starting item, especially if going mid. It helps you stay out longer and builds into bloodthirster, which really helps miss fortune out a lot.

The way I've played her is AS/AD with crit so i usually go with berserkers instead of merc treads. The frozen mallet's slow would be very nice and give her some survivability but i generally go all offense and grab a phantom dancer and infinity edge followed by items depending on opponents team comp (i usually go with last whisper, but occasionally go with a defensive item if i seem to be getting targeted).

As for her abilities, they don't crit, but the idea that she is not an autoattack champ is false. End game she can shred opponents with her autoattack (while using her other abilities in between) and with crit can be hitting for 800-1000 before armor.

Planarian

03-08-2011

I'm just getting the hang of MF myself but have had good success (depending on team in solo queue heh) with the following setup:

Runes:
ArPen reds & Quints
mp5/lvl yellow
flat MR blues

Masteries:
21/0/9, going for AS over crit where possible

Spells:
I prefer TP and Ignite. Ignite + impure shot shuts down tryn/self-healers, even with Cleanse. Use IS or Ignite, they pop cleanse, pop the other one NO HEAL FOR YOU! TP for map mobility and backdooring/tower defense. If I can't escape with Strut and/or Make it Rain slow then I'm gonna turn around and try to rape face as much as possible before I go down. I find by not running Flash/Ghost it keeps me hyper aware of positioning and map awareness since I don't have a margin for error.

For my core set I start with Meki pendant +2 pots. From there I go into Chalice so I can spam double-up and make it rain to harass and/or zone in laning phase, mostly make it rain. Most people are really nervous about engaging or moving in for harass when slowed, plus if timed right it's a great last-hit creep wave AoE. I'm probably mid so I want to push (ward the river and watch mia's people!) to allow a window for meto help side lane gank where opportunities arise. Lvl 1 boots and then straight to either BT or LW. After that I usually finish my boots, berserkers or Ionian but most likely berserker. Chalice gives better MR than mercs and if I'm CC'd I'm usually dead anyway so why go mercs?

At this point laning has just about ended, I've hopefully got a few side lane ganks in, the mid turret down, and I've either got my LW or all but the last part of the BT if things are going well.

Usual suspects revolve around black cleaver, frozen mallet, SotD (to max AS with Impure active). Chalice goes bye-bye late game since Glyphs have kicked in fully and then it's situational items, BV, GA, etc. to take its place.

I don't build for crit though there are some people who love MF crit builds. I just don't see it as cost-effective as straight AD on a gold per stat basis. That's my opinion and fits my playstyle, YMMV.

ShallowJam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2011

i dont see the point of a mana regen item first. tear nor chalice. why would you spam make it rain? it does no damage, pushes the lane too much, and makes ganks, harasses, and early kills harder. if mana is that much of an issue, why not get blue manaregen/lvl runes?

Planarian

03-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallowJamm View Post
i dont see the point of a mana regen item first. tear nor chalice. why would you spam make it rain? it does no damage, pushes the lane too much, and makes ganks, harasses, and early kills harder. if mana is that much of an issue, why not get blue manaregen/lvl runes?
Why do the majority of top-rated MF builds on leaguecraft or wkia recommend manamune? No idea, I think it's a bad idea but chalice gives just enough regen and is cheap as ****.

9 times out of 10 lately my mid opponent is AP or magic damage, the Chalice MR reduces damage dealt to me as even the usual AD carries you find in mid their harassing skills are magic damage. The MR blues+ meki + 2 hp pots allows longer laning before first back and faster regen to harass with DU or MiR.

Make it Rain does damage, admittedly spread out and over time: 95/155/210/275/335 (+0.8) magic damage over 2 seconds and slowing enemies hit by 20/25/30/35/40% for 1.5 seconds. At level 2, a single second of MiR on the enemy (which is more likely than a full 2 seconds even with good placement and the slow effect) is 47 damage.

Make it Rain+Double-Up+Ignite+auto attack=Dead or blue pill opponent depending on your success in harassing up to that combo. Either way they're either under-lvld or easier to zone. MiR helps keep them zoned since I'm putting it between the creeps and opponent.

(47 MiR+86.5 Double-Up [base 51.5 dam @ level 2 plus 35 from Double Up first shot, higher if you can bounce 2nd onto them]+Ignite [100@lvl 2] +51.5= 285)

As mid, I've got better access to go top or bot for ganks and don't always have a jungler in solo queue to rely on for ganking mid so pushing and getting mid tower down fast is a viable strategy but mostly MiR is to keep opponent zoned.

Again, this fits my playstyle and may not be your preference.

AreYouReady2Die

03-08-2011

I quit playing mf for cait's range, but have 100 or so mf games...

Vamp scepter for 21/0/9 or melki's for tear with 21/9/0 or 21/7/2 strength of spirit defense mastery(hp regen off mana) starting item.

Both paths give you enough regen to. Lane well. Manamune is a decent weapon that allows you to spam your double up, and attack speed boost, make it rain, is okay against low mr champs, I tend to level it once for slow only, since its magic damage and were going arm pen.

Best build there is for output is bloodthirster, IE, 2 Phantom Dancers, Frozen mallet, Force of nature. Allows you to sell boots for FoN and still hit close to max move speed with no boots while passive is up, and 3+ when it's down. Merc treads work if the MR isn't needed.

Puts you at 82% crit chance with near max AS with your impure shots on, at 250% damage, with +175 to damage. You can eat mildly heavy tanks in a couple seconds, squishies in about 3 shots.

Atma's impaler is a decent boot replacement if you have flash and ghost, which I used mostly or teleport/flash/ghost/clarity/exhaust.

Another trollish build is 2 Tiamat's with IE, Bloodthirster, 1-2 Phantom Dancers for auto attack aoe spam. One game I quadra killed in 8 shots, but I don't recommend it.

ShallowJam

03-08-2011

and none of the top rated guides on mobafire do recommend any regen item. so... ya. i dont really see how its better to take an mp5 item than runes. doesnt make sense.

IdleAltruism

03-08-2011

Don't take Vamp scepter to start...ever (on any champ). Don't buy Manamune either (on MF, other champs w/e). It is a total waste of gold. It's like getting it on Ashe, it just doesn't make any sense.

Masteries,you really need the 15% MP from the offense tree. MF relies a lot on magic damage early (it really helps her ult). 21 offense is good, but you really don't need it, 9, 11 and 12 are all good numbers to run into offense.

The most efficient Mastery setup, imo, is 9/0/21 for her. 11/9/10 (if you're going for dodge seals, and it's by far the best starter), 11/0/19 isn't bad either. 21/0/9 is definitely solid.

MF is one of the least squishy ranged DPS. She doesn't get close for anything, unlike Tristana and Corki. Because of this I prefer ArPen reds+quints, MP/lvl seals (very easily replaceable), and MR glyphs (flat or per lvl depending on the mood; both are good).

Ghost+Flash are probably the best summoners for her. Ignite is kind of bad on her. There really isn't any synergy there, unlike Tristana and possibly Corki. She could get away with Teleport or Exhaust+Flash.

As for items, it really depends. Starting items vary for her, depending on who you'll face and what you plan on buying. If you're running flat MR glyphs and facing a tough caster mid, starting Null Magic Mantle+2 pots=60+MR to start, which makes you pretty beefy vs casters right off the bat.

If you're facing a weaker ranged DPS, like TF, or a tough melee like Pantheon, boots+3 pots makes you a harassing beast.

Dorans blade works if you're going all out for FB, and Doran's shield works if you're absolutely terrified about the prospects of your lane.

After your initial items grabbing an extra Doran's Blade or two can be very helpful.

For her boots, Merc and Berserkers are pretty standard.

The other items range very wildly for MF. She does pretty good damage all by her lonesome throughout mid game. If you're absolutely dominating, you can go the classic IE rush+ a defensive item. If you're not having a spectacular game, grab Phage->Frozen Mallet+Atmas then a defensive item (Banshees, etc, depending on the enemy team). It works surprisingly well.

After you've grabbed your defensive item on either build, grab random DPS items and win the game. Bloodthirster works.

About MF and IE. Basically, by late game, all your damage becomes auto attacks, so in that regard, you have a nice steroid skill for late game, use it. The Frozen Mallet approach does lack a bit of damage early on, but you should really be focusing on teamfighting and farming as MF when you use that build. If you rush IE, then you can try earlier "carry" attempts. After early game, however, it easily competes with other builds in terms of damage (Atmas makes a pretty significant difference).

Seelyon

03-08-2011

This is the Miss Fortune Guide i run.

Items are pretty versatile, core would be Dorans > IE > Attack Speed Item (Phantom/BC/Madreds) > Banshee's Veil

Runes i like Apen, MP/5, MP/5, Apen. This gives you strong early game harrassment and good mana regeneration.

21/0/9, grabbing neutral buff duration for that extra duration on red buff, nothing special.

Summoner spells you have options. I will always run either Ghost or Flash combined with Exhaust (prefered) or Ignite depending on what the team needs.

AreYouReady2Die

03-09-2011

Kind of have a lot of hatred towards madrids on a ranged armor pen champ. Its pretty weak for the extreme cost. People say, " its a hp stackers nightmare!"
As a mundo mainly player I tend to laugh at madrid's on ad carries, it does decent damage, but with spirit visage, merc treads, warmog, and FoN the 4% hp damage? 1-1.5%, a void staff teemo with madrids? That's a diff story @#*@! Is doing 3.5% or more MUNDO CLEAVA TEEMO'S FACE!.. And hides.

A mf with frozen mallet, IE, high crit, and last whisper usually eats me, even with a full build.

The tryn that skipped IE, for madrids yesterday was laughable as I ate his ult and then him. If your ad, and fighting high hp and moderatly high MR, max ur armor breaking, killing power.

Seriously had 6 AD carries get madrids, and most were nerd raging about how OP mundo is, when the prob was their own stupidity, shouldn't post this, but meh I'm a glutton for punishment, which is why I mundo!