How Do You Get Really Good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tpazolite

02-09-2011

So yeah, how do people get really really good at this game? My competitive experience only lends itself to Starcraft and Starcraft 2, and in that game what you can do to improve is usually very obvious.

In LoL and other Mobas though theres alot of external factors and the team based element that makes it really hard to see how you can get really good and better than other people.

Obviously working as a team and synergy is important, but how can someone like me who's got nothing to prove himself find a good team to play with? And even then, what makes the best players better than I am?

shmoah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-09-2011

in league it took me a while to get good, lots and lots of practice with different champs and strategies. honestly most of the advice i give to people if you want to get better is to do solo que if your lvl 30, even if you lose a lot you learn from what you did wrong and improve, if your not lvl 30 i would say to go into normal games with a team or alone and practice getting last hits, and if you cant find people to play with use the looking for group chatroom in game.

C0heed

02-09-2011

It's not a matter of getting "good", just knowledgable. There are a lot of heroes and you have to know what skills they have. Once you know their skills/range, it's just a matter of learning positioning.

That and you need map awareness.. something a lot of Starcraft players neglect. It's absolutely vital in LOL.

xSidewinder

02-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0heed View Post
It's not a matter of getting "good", just knowledgable. There are a lot of heroes and you have to know what skills they have. Once you know their skills/range, it's just a matter of learning positioning.

That and you need map awareness.. something a lot of Starcraft players neglect. It's absolutely vital in LOL.
Map awareness is an integral part of competitive Starcraft. If you don't scout or take map control, you lose.

Koulas

02-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0heed View Post

Wait what? You worship the minimap far more in Starcrafft than in LoL

ChineseWoman

02-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koulas View Post
Wait what? You worship the minimap far more in Starcrafft than in LoL
HELLLLL NO starcraft 2 has a lot of minimap controls too especially when the game isn't 1v1 anymore, it's just different elements of map awareness and can't really compare because it's two totally different style of games
k enuf about sc2

I'm not that good either but when I see people who ARE decent enough, they play defensively

in fact SO defensive that the enemy almost NEVER has a chance to even hit them and

NEVER over extend at all so they're ungankable (k i exaggerated a little bit)

however, when I see GOOD people, it's all from experience and psychological aspect

They KNOW when to tower dive, when to be at low health and lure into towers for a kill

w/o dying, when to gank, and etc etc. map awareness being also important

soooo in conclusion, LEARN FROM EXPERIENCE... is all i can say >_>

Eppa

02-10-2011

Generally the 2 things that are the most important are: Early game mechanics and game play. Mid game decision making.

ExistentialWhoa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-10-2011

Map awareness - Know all 5 characters locations and if there are MIA's, assume they are jumping you.

Farming - creep kills should be a source of pride for everyone. The fact that people see there kills as the only source of getting fed is a silly mistake.

Team Fights and Advantages - The OP talked about Starcraft. The key idea in top end sc2, and in LoL imo, is capalizing on mistakes, then quickly getting all you can get SAFELY from that window of oppurtunity. For example, 5v5 in mid. Your team kills 2, loses none. After they die, your team pushes the turret and gets aced by the remaining 3 and the 2 that respawned. This is horrible. And common.

You killed 2, take all 5 and kill dragon. Push back all 3 lanes and return to spend money. Then regroup and repeat.

You dont win games by pushing small advantages until your team gets blown up and loses all that ground. Small victories will aways be smarter than huge attacks.

Team Comp - Everyone has there one champion they play best. Mine happens to be Jax. To be a truly great player though, you need to be versatile. Not only does it serve your team well, but there is no greater tool against a champion then playing that champion. After I played Yi, I smashed other Yi's when I was on another champ. There is a differance between reading a champs abilities versus using them. The more champs you know, the harder it will be to kill you.

Other than that, use wards. Use hotkeys. Communicate well. Be civil. Smoke trees.

Daganth

02-10-2011

It is really just a matter of experience, knowledge of champion abilities and game mechanics, and a bit of luck. The real key is how you apply that knowledge.

I'd say the #1 thing that people need to do is learn to gauge the strength of opponents/champions at particular points. My top frustration is when I go into a team battle and because of my experience i know we should roll them only to find that my timid inexperienced team mates basically bait and leave me the second I get hit by anything.

I would highly recommend if you are a newer player to get familiar with a tank, carry, and support champion. As these roles on a team are very important because Team composition is half the battle.

DD DoubleDiamond

02-10-2011

Everytime I play with a sc "pro" player it's just depressing how incompetent they are. I think it's mostly just them being out of their element, but you're given one champ to control with a low action minimap, it shouldn't take you more than 10~ games to learn what's going on, yet I see them at level 30 just struggling to jungle.