@Riot: I will give any red $50 that can justify this.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheAngel Lucifer

02-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShurelia View Post
Lock in speeds up champion selection. But you do have a point.
And I believe you missed the point completely.

It should take time to think out the best strategy in picks and bans. Not dur dur instalock Teemo ftw

sammich kek

02-09-2011

To be completely honest I am not sure why the chat box for champion selection even exists in 1000-1300 elo..

I practically have to BEG people to talk... and they still remain silent until I click my champion.. which if it is lets say Janna someone will finally speak up with a simple "no" "no" "no"

So by that point I am just happy with a response... I say "you want Janna?"

they say no...

So I say please elaborate?

they say nothing..

I lock in Janna.. they proceed to lock in Karma.. suddenly it makes sense...

TLDR.. I can't pick a new champion and set masteries + runepage in 20 seconds... use the effing chat.

Byerley

02-09-2011

Quote:
Where's her $50 *****?

Also, listening to your team over your own judgement at low - mid elo is a terrible idea. Yet, people always seem to cave to pressure. I don't understand it.

Morinav

02-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel Lucifer View Post
And I believe you missed the point completely.

It should take time to think out the best strategy in picks and bans. Not dur dur instalock Teemo ftw
Nah, she didn't miss the point.

She was just saying that the design decision behind the lock-in button was to speed up champ selection, which I wholeheartedly expect.

However there is an unintended consequence that hurts how the game is played, it can hamstring team communication and pre-game strategy. A ready system would strike a better balance between speedy champion select and fostering team communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Violet View Post
Where's her $50 *****?

Also, listening to your team over your own judgement at low - mid elo is a terrible idea. Yet, people always seem to cave to pressure. I don't understand it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinav View Post
The following justifications I have deemed unacceptable up front.

4) "We don't want people to waste time at champ select": Yes, I agree. This is particularly true for arranged 5v5 when you know your teammates and likely have already communicated a great deal on who's going to pick what. In solo queue you have to get to know a player in a very short amount of time, thus there's very rarely a glut of free time. In the cases where there are, the ready check will fulfill the same role with considerably less danger.
Also, listening to their advice is never bad. Taking their advice might be, but listening won't hurt you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaozUT View Post
I agree that there should be a ready check rather than a lock, just because it doesn't really take anything away from the game while it avoids stupid mistakes like accidentally locking in, or locking in and then realizing there is no jungler and being unable to change your pick.

But as for the example you gave for ppl insta-locking bad picks, I don't think this feature would prevent idiots from just ready-checking their bad picks instead...
Yeah, I know. It's not meant for those people. It's meant for the well intentioned but misguided.

Bumbah

02-09-2011

Quote:

If anything, slow it down, so the team can communicate which champs to ban, which champs they normally play, etc. I feel it's too rushed atm. Also, please remove free champs from ranked games. Holy free Corki week has caused me 6 losses in a row Batman

Byerley

02-09-2011

A teammate can always screw you over even if it takes 30s longer. Why should a pre-arranged have to sit through a ~5m champion select?

Morinav

02-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Violet View Post
A teammate can always screw you over even if it takes 30s longer. Why should a pre-arranged have to sit through a ~5m champion select?
Read the post, mang. I address all of those points. I mean the very top of the post reads "ranked solo queue", and I acknowledge that this is not really a big problem in arranged ranked since you know your teammates already.

Also, why do we speed limits? An idiot can still crash his car into you and kill you. We have them because it strikes a very good balance between risk and reward, between speed and safety. They're meant for reasonable people who aren't *******s hell-bent on murdering you.

LiFTeDyourFACE

02-09-2011

What OP posted needs to be done. It makes sense and (for now) seems to have no draw backs. Only thing is, you will still have the random troll who no matter how much you talk to him, he is still convinced that Mord mid is a great idea because Mord needs the solo or else he's gimped.

Frinall

02-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinav View Post
Read the post, mang. I address all of those points.

Also, why do we speed limits? An idiot can still crash his car into you and kill you. We have them because it strikes a very good balance between risk and reward, between speed and safety. It's meant for reasonable people who aren't *******s hell-bent on murdering you.
Morinav - you are right on all points, and the reds would be foolish not to implement something like this. I've only been playing the game for 2 weeks, and even I realize that there is absolutely no reasonable counter argument to this. Even before you get to ranked team comp can be huge, and people who insta-lock instantly put their team at a disadvantage, to the point where I don't lock, I wait for the rest of the team to pick and try to fill the gaps they left in their wake.

Don't listen to the trolls. Anyone with an fungus level IQ or better can see that this would benefit everyone involved.

Hueho

02-09-2011

Good post, OP.