AP Yi vs. AD Yi and Dorans Ring

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGreyMan

02-08-2011

In the past few games I've tried playing AP yi and I feel that it's very viable and very strong. I start out with a doran's ring, and with a few mana regen runes I can pretty much dominate whichever lane I choose to go to (preferably a solo). Doran's ring lets me constantly spam alpha strike to harrass, and HP regen isn't needed because you can just use meditate. Also, AP yi seems to have much better farming power than AD yi early game because of the ability to constantly spam A-Strike to farm. Usually when I'm in a 1 v 1 lane I can win it easily with minimal effort; when there are 3 or less creeps less I just alpha strike one and if the enemy champion is anywhere close they will get hit for a healthy chunk of damage. I've also noticed that alphastrike seems to do quite a lot of damage early game. With this insane farming ability and strong lane dominance, I've been able to pull off several kills early game in most all of my games, giving me plenty of gold to get lichbane, rylais, and whatever other AP items I need. AD yi, on the other hand, gets bullied in a lane and takes forever to become a carry, which mostly happens in the transition to mid - late game. AP yi can carry the second he grabs a doran's ring and gains a few levels. Sure AD yi can jungle, but why jungle when you can just go AP and dominate? What do you guys think about my analysis? AP>AD or AD>AP?

Now, because just a single doran's ring can give such good lane dominance to an AP yi, do you guys think it would be viable in an AD build as well? I mean, 470 gold is a small investment in the main scheme of things, and it will help the carry get farmed super fast.

Basically: AP or AD and why?
Doran's ring viable starting item for AD and AP yi?

MindGamez

02-08-2011

I play AP Yi just because it feels more consistent in terms of killing power.

I always know how much damage I will deal with my Alpha+Lich bane.

Auto attack champions are just way too inconsistent for me. You can get stunned, slowed, or silenced at an inopportune time and have the enemy get away at low HP because your auto attack bugged or you gave the enemy too much time to react.

Ap Yi is all about surprising the enemy with mobility and burst damage. Alpha strike feels so satisfying when you hit 4 enemy champions with it. It also just feels so much better knowing that you're untargetable for a brief second while the AoE mayhem erupts below you. Also, spamming Alpha strikes 3+ times within the span of a few seconds just makes you feel broken as hell.

AD Yi offers more sustained damage, but I just hate the inconsistency and the fact that my opponent can react to it by moving away or preparing a trap.

Meditate also feels practically useless as AD Yi.

I love tanking 3+ enemies with it while my team takes advantage.

All in all, AP Yi suits my playstyle a lot more than AD Yi.

Oh and yeah.... Doran's ring is the perfect starting item for AP Yi and lane AD Yi.

Doriantv

02-08-2011

Both Yi builds work, but DPS Yi is generally superior. AP Yi does well when your team is already winning, and wants to secure the win, but it will never help your team win to begin with. DPS Yi, given the chance to DPS, does the most damage out of any autoattack carry in the game.

TheGreyMan

02-08-2011

Actually Rocketball, I see it the other way >.> DPS yi only does well when your team is winning because by the time he gets powerful it will be lategame when the game is already decided anyway. AP yi is a superpower early and mid game while not so good late game.

RoflTroll

02-08-2011

Ring (cloth armor if jungling)
Sheen / Boot
2 Zeals
skill and item after all depends on who the enemies are.

Final build is to be:
Boot
Triforce
Phantom
Last Whisper
a lifesteal item (if I get to jungle, Wriggle will suffice).

Usually my game ends after Wriggle, 2 Zeals and Last Whisper (boot's usually Merc).
450-ish speed without Highlander, and close to 570 with.

If team's losing, go backdoor.

kwjnfkjsdg

02-08-2011

AD Yi is lightyears ahead of AP Yi.

AP yi relies on a burst combo for most of his damage, and puts out shabby dps while his Q cools down, while an unhindered AP yi can rip apart a whole team in the time it takes for little AP yi to finish his meditate.

i always run cleanse/exhaust with yi, so i'm not terribly scared of cc. very late game, i'd also replace my zerk boots with merc treads asi already have enough attack speed. i also build my Yi slightly tanky to give him a little more survivability.

doran's ring is probably the best starting item for any yi. alpha strike is one of the best farming skills in the game, so it works out. and even if you plan to get some early game kills, most your damage will be coming from your alpha strike anyways.

Superdadd

02-08-2011

I agree that AP Yi helps put the nail in the coffin if you are winning, but has a hard time pulling a team back from behind. That beind said, AD Yi has the very same problem.

AP Yi trying to Alpha a team with huge HP and MR is just not really contributing anything. That being said, AD Yi against the same team is likely just getting blown the F up instantly.

I myself think AP Yi is extremely strong, but more importantly to me, he fits my playstyle, and I have a ton of fun playing him. I love harassing tower huggers by taking 1/5 chunks of their life from literally 2000 range away. I love when the teamfight initiates, waiting until all AOE is blown, then Alpha striking someone low, getting the kill, and immediately alpha'ing again, and probably scoring another kill and immediately alpha'ing again.

I see AP Yi as an executioner. As soon as someone in the other team is even remotely low HP, they are at risk of all instantly getting blown up.

That being said... if the game doesn't end shortly after level 18 is reached, AP Yi falls behind a lot more than AD Yi.

So while AP Yi may dominate the earlygame, if the enemy team is such that they will be very resilient, and very likely to reach the endgame, I feel that AD Yi would have probably been a better choice.

Superdadd

02-08-2011

Also, I think that Doran's ring is better on AD Yi actually. I think AP Yi is SO STRONG early game that he doesn't need a Doran's ring (which delays his build).

AP Yi is so strong early game that I think you are better off going Meki Pendant and 2 HP pots, then blue pilling for Tear (similar to a veigar build).

Then you get deathcap and mejai's (order depends on your gamestate, and mejai's is skipped if you aren't getting kills), then turn tear into archangel staff. Then work on lichbane.

By the time you have archangel staff, you'll be rocking roughly 400 AP around level 11-13. At this point, your alpha's will be hitting for around 1/3rd to 1/4 their HP. That means in teamfights, if one person is at 1/4 hp, and one is at half, then those two get instantly blown up and the rest of their team went from fullbar to 1/3 hp (three alphas instantly).

It's the midgame dominance why I'd suggest that item build (tear and boots, cap, sorc boots, mejai's, archangel, then sheen into lichbane)

Getting Doran's Ring delays that build by almost 500g, when the extra survivability is really completely unneccesary.

Fluffy1

02-08-2011

i much prefer AP yi, no matter what happens at least you do a ton of damage before you die if things go bad like a CC heavy team. but i play him more for the fact you cant really counter build against him, he has alot of magical damage and alot of physical damage and having 90% of that damage happen in 1 skill can throw people into a panic buying you more time.

Manicslayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2011

While I prefer AD Yi, I've seen AP Yi carry a game with the right team composition and dominate the middle lane. (I haven't had as much luck with AP Yi, but I've seen its effectiveness.)

Lets match them up:

Farming : AP Yi wins this no doubt, but early game it's about even. AP Yi simply doesn't need the Alpha Strike bonus damage to one shot the creeps. AD Yi really only kills lizard and Baron faster than AP Yi. Either build should fuel a mid game item(s) efficiently.

Survivability: Slight edge to AD Yi. Technically, a stun ruins either Yi's day, but a Yi with 400+ damage and lifesteal can survive longer than AP Yi meditating in most situations. (Again, as long as no stun occurs) AP Yi is near unkillable while Meditate is being channeled, but his main ability to keep him alive can be interrupted by silences and knock ups, not just stuns. Sure, you can run away and heal, but that much time out of the fight means you're not doing your job. AD Yi doesn't have this problem and thus gets the nod.

Damage Output: AD Yi hands down. AP Yi has decent burst damage followed by a mostly ignorable auto attack. AD Yi starts hitting you hard and keeps hitting you hard. If ignored, he will pentakill your team and push towers faster than anyone but a dps Alistar.

Pushing Power: AD Yi. AP Yi clears creeps faster and can amass an army to your enemies tower allowing you to beat on it. Creeps, however, can easily be killed and are predictable. Any decent team will have at least one defender waiting for you there or in the bushes nearby. AD Yi is the best backdoor champ in the game, period. He can appear, kill a tower, and get out before help can arrive unless they have a teleport of some sort or have been waiting for it. I've literally killed the mid inhibitor, nexus towers, and nexus by backdooring before 4 enemies could do the same. (We started roughly at the same time, as I had to wait to make sure they were all there.) AD Yi kills towers faster and that's what helps win games.

Elusiveness:AP Yi. I understand this sort of ties into survivability, but I think it deserves its own area. AP Yi has one crazy ability and that is to Alpha Strike continuously with consecutive kills. Hitting an entire team for over 1k a shot whilst being invincible and untargetable because of Highlander is nuts. Not only is this scary, there is not much you can do about it. AD Yi enters with an Alpha Strike and pretty much runs around beating runts to death trying not to get stunned. Sure, he can also Alpha Strike continously, but it's highly unlikely you'd get kills in a team fight hitting for only 300.

AP Yi is viable, but AD Yi still brings more to the table in most situations. If you need an AP with some dps capabilities however, AP Yi does just fine. All in all, I'll say AD>AP.