Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP Corki: The Misunderstood Yordle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

h3w0

01-29-2010

Quote:
OffConstantly:
I am interested to know what the high level attack DPS Corki does for HP. A tri-force or mallet has often not been enough and by the time I build a veil, I either have given up early DPS or the game is late and I've been squishy for too long to get fed. I don't have the best teammates in my premades most of the time, so protection from being FFed is not likely. When I am focused I usually find myself thinking AP Corki with a Rylai's and possibly a rod could get out of this situation, whereas DPS Corki hits harder but falls faster. Any thoughts?

That's another reason I prefer the AP build to ATK; you have a lot more hp to throw around. With atk build you have less hp, but a build that requires you to be even closer to the action. When I do play atk i have to have some for of hp supplementation. At the very least a frozen heart, probably with a catalyst (to be made in to banshee veil) as well. I usually build catalyst and then wait 2-3 items to finish the veil, you should never have to rush it first thing. I just find AP to be so much more survivable, getting to hug your rocket range and fly around with much more HP.

Fantajim

02-10-2010

Thx for this guide. Really helped me with my first game, carried my team and went nuts! xD

AP all the way ;D

Cereal

Adjudicator

02-11-2010

Quote:
h3w0:
That's another reason I prefer the AP build to ATK; you have a lot more hp to throw around. With atk build you have less hp, but a build that requires you to be even closer to the action. When I do play atk i have to have some for of hp supplementation. At the very least a frozen heart, probably with a catalyst (to be made in to banshee veil) as well. I usually build catalyst and then wait 2-3 items to finish the veil, you should never have to rush it first thing. I just find AP to be so much more survivable, getting to hug your rocket range and fly around with much more HP.

EXACTLY

I completely agree with you. Here's my justification for AP over ATK.

ATK takes longer to become effective. It also requires you to be much closer to the enemy (and typically with less hp) than AP builds.

In addition, other than gauntlet, you are really putting all your "damage points" (from your build) into your attack, which attacks ONE champion at a time. At higher levels there are far fewer opportunities for one on one fights, meaning you are far less usefull and die much more.

I'm used to getting mejai's then straight to zhonya's, unless I really need the hp. I need to get rylai's more. I still usually end up with ~600 AP late game. Even if I can't 1 v 1 a full grown tank, which I often CAN, but even if I can't, I can still send them running or at the very least escape.

Meanwhile that rarely occurs as mentioned above (higher ELO, less 1 v 1 stuf). What does happen is their Teemo, TF, and whoever else are all clustered together get phospho bombed for like 400 dmg a pop, blinding the WHOLE team 35%, while being pounded with artillery from a safe distance. Eventually, I either valk over, if I KNOW it will finish them, or valk away to not only escape, but give my team a safer path to do so (fire trail does tend to deter all but the healthiest of pursuers. I'll take damaging AND reducing the effective damage of an entire team anyday over attacking one target and doing piddly aoe magic damage.

And don't remember who said this, but mana is rarely a problem. Get your catalyst, use your mana wisely. Gank a lot, and pit stop for golem, blue pill, and you are set. Here's to all of us who are sick of being mocked for using AP Corki (even though we pretty much all get our satisfaction when game is over and they friend us after we owned).

Peace

ps

Also, armor is far more commonly used than mr, so when you go atk, it is more often reduced and by more than AP is reduced. Making your money count!

h3w0

02-13-2010

The cheaper to Void Staff in the recent patch is definitely helpful for this build. It is not nearly as much of an investment to go with one earlier on. I find myself building one much more often just out of convenience.

On a side note, since everybody got Corki I've been seeing much more AP builders nowadays. Trinity-force builders still outnumber us, but I went from seeing maybe 1 other AP corki a month to seeing 2 others in just my last play session.

I'm not a fan of all this haunting guise I'm seeing other people get on him now though. His AP ratios demand you get soulstealer/AP items quick or you can be irrelevant mid game. And with sorc boots and atleast 10 mpen from runes, anybody with default magic resist is going to 0 already, and void staff is there for if needed for more. For the guise you usually end up trading mobility or power, which can be much more useful early on.

quitetroublesome

Recruiter

02-13-2010

I purchased Corki recently. So far I've only been playing DPS, and I find this whole discussion to be rather interesting. From a observer's point of view, I find AP to be better because being useful Early and Mid can win you the game, while being useful Late depends on your teammates.

I'll try AP for 10 games or so and post back here later on to give my viewpoints.

Balonar

02-13-2010

H3w0 is a merciless killer and one of the best teammates I've ever played with. Listen to this man!

lerio

Recruiter

02-21-2010

I prefer AP corki to atk corki, although I think a mix of both could work well. I havent had a game where i could try to mix out totally.

I have tried an AP and Atk corki, and the AP corki is much better early game than the Atk corki, while the Atk corki gets good later in game when u get allot more stuff, I havent had a game with atk corki where i gotten feed enought / game last long enough for the atk corki to be a good option.

And AP corki is still very good late game I really cant say which one is better late game cause i havent tested them both out late game in a similar envorment. I have played both agianst bots, and late game they both rape bots insanely fast so no real info there.

The main difference bettween AP corki, and Atk corki, is the play style. AP corki can sit farther back and spam his rockets, where ATK corki has to run up and do basic attacks, and since Corki is a squishy character I think it is better to have him sit back and pick em off from afar. Also ATK corki's machine gun skill actually becomes usefull later game, where as with AP corki, the machine gun skill is not very usefull even late game.

To try and get a little mix of AP and ATK corki, what I do is start out with a Haunting Guise, Magic Penetration makes ur hits for allot more, then get sorcer shoes which will pretty much take away all magic resist from ur opponent unless they have m res gear, Then i get Ryle'z scepter for some AP HP, and the slow down which is nice even if u are going atk. Then I get a Madred's Bloodrazor, cause ontop of extra damage and atk spd, it dose extra Magical damage which would make use of your high Magic penetration. Then I get a Rageblade for some AP and atk power. Then I havent decided on the last 2 iteams, I am thinkin two of the following, linch bane, deathfire grasp, rageblade, or nashor's tooth.

The only reason why I do not max out AP with corki as I would with Ryze or Karthus per say, is because the AP effeciency ratio's on Corki are fairly low. The bomb has the highest AP ratio and is only at 1/2. The missles which are the main skill I am interested in are 30% so I think Magic Penetration is a more effective way to go.

Joru

02-21-2010

I have to say, I don't really get AP Corki. In the version of the build where you can't get Mejai's Soulstealer, your only source of AP is Rylai's until like your fourth completed item. That's 80 AP, which is only +40 per Phosphorous Bomb and 24 damage per Phosphorous Bomb. Buying boots, Sheen, and nothing else would practically outdamage that build until the 7000-ish gold point.

I've never actually tried an AP build on him, so there's surely something that I'm just not understanding. But I always thought that the nice thing about attack Corki was that he wasn't susceptible to the early-game weakness that most carries are. Bombs and missiles, even at just base damage, plus a cheap Sheen are more than enough to carry you through the early game while you get your physical items built...he's not an early-game liability like Yi or Tristana. But his AP ratios are so low that it seems like you'd need to stack a ton of AP before it really gets noticeable. I just can't see the payoff compared to a traditional caster.

Phiphler

Recruiter

02-22-2010

The point is that early on you just need mana and HP to kill people, Corki has good enough base damage on everything. MPen runes combines with Sorceror Shoes gives your spells some real force, so before people start buying MGR you can chew them up.
This is the oppertune time to buy and fill a Soulstealer, which compensates for you poor AP ratios with it's massive AP+.
Rylai's gives him utility far beyond his damage, and a perpetual slow will help you and your team get kills you otherwise couldn't. The armour pen of GG still applies.

In the end, it's more about being durable and bursty then dealing massive raw damage, meaning it's a build made more for the actual game then theorycrafted damage charts.

AIM7Sparrow

02-22-2010

I stopped reading when I saw quints for dodge on a carry. right....

Also, I have to say I feel like AP corki is the easy/pub-stomper version. Kind of like Sivir. It's easy enough to max CDR and AP and just spam Boomerang Blade while never getting hit but in higher level play you become more and more useless to your team. AP Corki seems like that exact same thing. Easy to play at a low level, more useless at a high level.