AP Corki: The Misunderstood Yordle

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

h3w0

01-26-2010

It took me a few days to get back to this, I'll try and answer all questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keftes View Post
I've played against you and i can agree that you're insane with that build...

P.S How do you manage to stay in lane early game vs an aggresive ashe / trist / teemo? If they pack good lifesteal / hp regen they should be able to push you and make you farm less gold. How do you keep up with just 2 HP pots and no regen?
None of those champs really pose that much a problem (tristana being the most threatening) out of that group. If they come with lifesteal they seal their fate, as you can easily burst through it past level 3 leaving them with no regen. Against big hp regen, you just have to make the call if you are going to burst through it, or conserve and just outfarm them.

With corkis phos bomb range its not too hard to keep the other champ far away and your hp up, and if you get low, a quick blue pill -> buy/heal -> tp back out will keep your exp and money coming in early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrax
i just got a question because your guide made me curious of trying corki. considering the spammability of his spells, won't sheen make some sense anywhere in the build? or to put it another way: why don't you think it's viable in your build?

ty in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0123456789
One thing I don't agree with this guide is the fact that there's no sheen. Spammable rockets+spells+sheen=win.
Building a sheen (that would turn into lich bane) works out alright, but often with AP corki, you need to stay very far out of the fray. If you've been ganking and have some charges saved up on stealer, you are likely a focus target, and have to carefully manage your positioning in ganks to take as little damage as possible. If you've been the one on your team raking up the kills, you have a lot of damage invested in your champion and have to try to keep yourself in the action as much as possible, which usually means you pepper with spells from afar, while diving in for the finishing blows.

It works good though don't get me wrong. It could be a pretty nice alternative to soulstealer in a game where you think you wont be able to amass a lot of kills. And if the other team decides to not build magic resist (happens more often than you'd think) it could be a strong candidate to go in place of the void staff on this build. I don't think its a great early item to rush though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bombardier
...more on atk vs. ap corki...

I agree AP is for earlier shutouts. The reason I'm unimpressed with how atk corki plays is because he is basically a "im gonna farm for the first 30 minutes before I can carry my weight in team fights' kind of style. Lots of champions can do that. Few can be the unique ganker an ap corki is.

And I don't think its fair to compare the potential dps at 45 minutes in the game for both builds as the metric for which one is better. Many games are decided long before an atk corki really starts to shine.

AP style is dependent on ganking alot early on and using your momentum. Atk can be much better for more passive farming play styles, as you don't have to have kills, only farm, to guarantee yourself some late game relevance.

But not all games go to late game. I've been against many an atk corki (or any atk carry) I was able to shut out early on with AP power and never have them be able to get back into the game competitively.

Wolfy2032

01-26-2010

Yes ive played against him too hes good and he makes his build work problem is it really relies on ganks. If yor enemy team is smart enough to adjust to your ganking you wont be fed as much. Now im not doubting your skill in doing it you did great in our game that AP tristana yes ap tristana made me rage.

I played a bit of corki when he was free and i did mostly the physical attack build and i found a WAY to gank early as physical corki and still get kills not as hard hitting as your build but it still got kills and helped farm. It completly revolved around getting hp + some sort of slow + move speed. Ive litterally been able to farm a Zerker Treads and Frozen Mallet by the 12 min mark just by creeping and occasionaly going for a quick gank. Theres times the farm fails and people are harassing me so I need to get some heart of golds but they give gold and they let you gank and stay in fight long enough to do huge damage. All this leads to your big items later on and you get them pretty fast if your making use of all your farming potential.

This is what worked for me and is just my opinion i am in no way shape or form a corki pro. Also kudos that corki did great our game id love to play you again to get my revenge.

Beegly Boogs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2010

MRgrimm doesn't play AP.

/thread

xrats

01-26-2010

I am a tristana user and i dont think corki is such a great thread.Tristana has range while u dont.You both have an escape/chasing way which is similar.Your level 6 cannot harm a good player who knows how to move and take cover from his creeps.

In addition to this tristana has range to spam u.Since corki depends on his mana to spam a wits end(usually my first item ion tris for reasons i wont analyze here cause thats not our point in this thread)solves this problem.Of course, this doesnt mean that tristana owns corki in solo but i dont think that tristana is another simple target.

Apart from that i think that corki is a good hero but few out there know to play him.He has enough ways of buildings tha can maximize his potentials.A definately strong hero for good gangs for sure.The biggest problem here is that as someone else here also stated before this gang tactic wont work in high elos over there cause good players wont fall to many gangs.

This will definitely work however vs weak and medium opponents but also others heroes as well(see for example twitch)

h3w0

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy2032 View Post
Yes ive played against him too hes good and he makes his build work problem is it really relies on ganks. If yor enemy team is smart enough to adjust to your ganking you wont be fed as much. Now im not doubting your skill in doing it you did great in our game that AP tristana yes ap tristana made me rage.
Ah yes I remember the AP tristana game. Good old trist did great the first 15 minutes then started feeding hard

As far as ganking goes, in a more competitive game kills surely wont be sitting out free in the open for you. When I'm 5 q'ing with my other higher-level friends, its not uncommon that some of them make conscious effort to channel some of the early game killing blows onto Corki, knowing that if they let him snowball some early on its pretty much gg from firepower. AP Corki plays most similarly to kassadin: You stay out of the action till you see your kills, then go in and do work (except Corki gets to rocket you while he waits). Both champions can go unkillable/very low deaths in games due to their escapability, so you usually don't lose many stealer charges.

It's all about building momentum. For some of your first kills, TP'ing to another lane that extended past the creep wave can be a GREAT asset. I think its a shame how little TP ganking goes on in this game. It's very easy to kill a top or bottom when you TP in behind/right next to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrats
I am a tristana user and i dont think corki is such a great thread.Tristana has range while u dont.You both have an escape/chasing way which is similar.Your level 6 cannot harm a good player who knows how to move and take cover from his creeps.
I am generally not too threatened by tristana as Corki. Corki has MORE range with his phosphorous bombs aoe explosion (about 760 total range or so). Any time trist comes in to start hitting, she gets bombs dropped on her. They have similarly small life pools and a leap each. Once corki hits 6 his range advantage is even greater. If the AP corki blows all his mana early on it can be a problem. And as far as AP corki only working against noobs, I think a long list of the people I've run it on would like to have a word with you

Wolfy2032

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3w0 View Post
Ah yes I remember the AP tristana game. Good old trist did great the first 15 minutes then started feeding hard

As far as ganking goes, in a more competitive game kills surely wont be sitting out free in the open for you. When I'm 5 q'ing with my other higher-level friends, its not uncommon that some of them make conscious effort to channel some of the early game killing blows onto Corki, knowing that if they let him snowball some early on its pretty much gg from firepower. AP Corki plays most similarly to kassadin: You stay out of the action till you see your kills, then go in and do work (except Corki gets to rocket you while he waits). Both champions can go unkillable/very low deaths in games due to their escapability, so you usually don't lose many stealer charges.

It's all about building momentum. For some of your first kills, TP'ing to another lane that extended past the creep wave can be a GREAT asset. I think its a shame how little TP ganking goes on in this game. It's very easy to kill a top or bottom when you TP in behind/right next to them.

I am generally not too threatened by tristana as Corki. Corki has MORE range with his phosphorous bombs aoe explosion (about 760 total range or so). Any time trist comes in to start hitting, she gets bombs dropped on her. They have similarly small life pools and a leap each. Once corki hits 6 his range advantage is even greater. If the AP corki blows all his mana early on it can be a problem. And as far as AP corki only working against noobs, I think a long list of the people I've run it on would like to have a word with you

Yea my friends do the same with me for any carry they let me get the first few kills to get my good items and i just become sexy. I really wish i solod mid tha game could have given you a harder time and called mias.

Heres the thing though its not that you wont get kills tha stops you in the real games its just smart players and intelligent decisions that stops you again this rarely happens in pubs but im sure once in a while you go agains tthat team that just always gets away with 1 or 2 hp for some odd reason they just get away perfect time every time. That is my one problem with this build theres no like middle ground theres just need to do really good or you become useless in which case i hope you have a hard carry as back up.

EroticBadass

01-26-2010

I play AP corki and people really underestimate the damage he can do from really far away. Towards the end he can do around 1000 damage from a Big One to 2-3 champs depending on how close they are to each other. You can also follow this with more missiles and once a few enemy champs are down you are safe to valkyrie in for really big damage.

In fact, valkyrie can do more damage than the big one in 3 seconds (hard to do w/o a slow though) lol

The reason you are beating dps Corki and most melee champs is because of your 35% blind and because of the simple fact that Corki can unleash 2000+ damage from a distance before they close in with sheen.

Now I won't argue which is better because I love both and thats the reason I love Corki, but I will say that they both are viable despite how he is used in a presently unorganized competative LoL

AIM7Sparrow

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bombardier View Post
Corki's abilities do an amazing amount of damage without scaling them with AP and as most top tier corki players know they are a compliment to his physical dps not the other way around. Notice that his passive is 100% based on physical dps. Don't be mislead by the fact that all but 1 of his abilities are AP. If you go for a purely AP build you are basically worthless once oom which is quite easy to do as any frequent corki player knows. Once again physical carries are just flat out better than AP carries in this game. You may see an AP hero do well in middle from levels 1-6 but after that most physical carries will start shutting middle lane down vs an AP hero. Any time a game gets past the lvl 14-15 mark the viability of an AP corki drops significantly, and I will admit before this point an AP corki is a viable trade off to a physical corki.

The main problem lies in the late game with an AP corki. The main reason is that most heros have the HP to soak up a phos and a few missles. We all know that most team fights are decided within 10 seconds of starting. So in any given late game team fight phos can be used once. Valk will not be used offensively unless the fight is a pushover at which point it wouldnt matter what build you are because you alone do not make any fight a pushover no matter what hero you are with a few situational exceptions. After you drop your phos you have only 2 other abilities. As an AP corki you would be relying on your missles at this point, you may have gatling running but without any physical items, as the OP stated, it is basically a minimal amount of damage and a armor reduction which you can not capitalize on since you dont do heavy physical dps. Also note that most team fights consist of the carry standing behind a tanking class. Auto attacks can pass these tanks where as a missle can not without putting yourself behind their tank/initiator and as corki you are always a top concern of the other team and going this deep without a 150% certainty of success is suicide.

A few points to add.

An AP corki can not kill a decently geared/speced tank. 7 missles + 4 phosph + a few ticks of valk and the weak physical dps without physical items will never be enough to take down a tank. On the other hand a corki with gatling running and a black cleaver against a tank heavy team will do significant damage. Yes you dont want to focus a tank before the others, but if a tank over extends himself a physical corki can capitalize where as an ap corki can not.

While auto attack on corki does not have the range of the missle, which as OP and I agree is the bread and butter of an AP corki, the auto attack never misses (almost never, dodge..) and attacks just as fast as a missle spam would. The auto attack can reach levels of 1000 crits on a decked out corki. I have never run an AP corki to the extreme but i highly doubt anyone has ever nailed a 1000 dmg big-one missle.

A physical corki can melt someone with auto attack/gatling withing 3-4 seconds even with 2500+ hp if they do not disable corki, kill corki, or escape the range of corki. 3-4 seconds only allows 1 phosph, and 3 missles at absolute best if you dont miss. That is not going to kill anyone in 3-4 seconds with over 2000 hp.

A physical corki can take down neutral buffs and the dragon much faster than an AP corki and it can be done without wasting as many missles/mana. Farming the red buff every time its up is almost as effective as having a rylais on corki and still allows you to provide a snare even when oom.

The list goes on and once again let me remind you that it is well known and apparent in the meta game that physical damage > magic damage after the early to mid game stages.
Winner.

OffConstantly

01-27-2010

I am interested to know what the high level attack DPS Corki does for HP. A tri-force or mallet has often not been enough and by the time I build a veil, I either have given up early DPS or the game is late and I've been squishy for too long to get fed. I don't have the best teammates in my premades most of the time, so protection from being FFed is not likely. When I am focused I usually find myself thinking AP Corki with a Rylai's and possibly a rod could get out of this situation, whereas DPS Corki hits harder but falls faster. Any thoughts?

Nanatsu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2010

Wow thats pretty interesting I would have never thought about Rylai's Staff and all of what you said makes sense but this build isnt it kind of a kill or be killed dps battle.

123456 ... 7