Help with Irelia, Stumped

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flygoniq

02-03-2011

I bought Irelia quite soon after she came out and I have been playing her quite a bit, jungling (only one game with her not jungling).

I've had problems with her playstyle and also some questions I have.

Ok so first of all, everyone knows bladesurge doesn't go through terrain and turrets, but very often, when ganking I experience an extremely annoying problem. Her bladesurge seems to stop at minions almost every time, making chasing nigh-impossible for me in early game ganks. The range on her E is annoyingly small, as combined with my problem of being unable to bladesurge the full distance, my ganks almost never work unless I'm coming from behind. TBH an easier way to fix E would be to make it a next autoattack effect, as it would be the same, but that's irrelevant.
I don't really understand Irelia's W skill usage. Everyones yelling oh hey 75 true damage per hit, that's bs, but come on. It lasts 5 seconds and CD is 15, not to mention the fact that when an enemy is running you'll probably only get 3 hits before it deactivates, even with E and Frozen Mallet, which I believe is rather hard to deal with.
I'm also confused about how to use her ult. It doesn't do much damage. I understand the CoolDown is crazy low, especially with my CDR, but it still can't be used twice in the average teamfight, and if you were to hit every enemy champ with all 4 blades, the damage it deals is almost negligible. Perhaps it is best used to heal on minions, but I need help here.
I feel that when compared to other "tanky" melee champions (not saying DPS/AD), Irelia doesn't really compare. Renekton's stun is easier to land, deals more damage, and procs on hit effects, not to mention that it's not conditional. His Q will almost always do more damage than Irelia's hiten style, has a shorter cooldown, and is AOE. His dash is vastly less glitchy and the fact that it is a double dash provides so much more utility than just refresh on Cooldown during teamfights and jukes. Their ults are too different too compare, but suffice to say, Renekton healing 600 HP is so much more than Irelia's heal (Using all four blades you'd have to deal a nigh-impossible... 3000 damage with it). Oh sorry forgot about the cooldown

Everyone tells me that Irelia can lifesteal extremely quickly and stay alive, but that doesn't happen. This is rather theoretical, as during a teamfight, I find it difficult to find enemies that are standing still for me to utilize my full AS. In fact, this is my main problem. If I could surge and equilibrium without fail, this might happen, but as of now this is difficult.

The final thing I have to say is, Yeah, Irelia is totally a carry. Alright, let's gank and get some kills early game. I wish :\ Ashe has volley, MF has awesome ult, Corki has missiles, Akali has massive burst... When we get to Irelia, we have to ask this. How does she steal kills? She utterly lacks early game burst damage. Compared to many other carrying champions I feel she needs too much more gold to do even COMPARABLE damage

This is just my opinion, and I really do believe that Irelia is better than this, and that all these problems are occuring because of something I'm doing utterly wrong. Anyone who can genuinely give some advice and not just a TL-DR is truly appreciated, because I REALLY love Irelia but 80% of the time I can't do **** with her -_-

P.S. My builds:
Kage's Lucky Pick, CDR boots, Nashor's Tooth, Trinity Force, Frozen Mallet, Abyssal Scepter, Deathfire grasp (AP build). Start with green elixir of agility for jungling.

AS build, I honestly haven't used in a while
Madred's Rzor
Trinity Force
Defensive boots
Bloodrazor
Frozen Mallet
Starks Fervor
Guardian angel
Defensive Item

Flygoniq

02-03-2011

Bump (Really need help)

slimey bee

02-03-2011

Stop jungling with Irelia. Best advice I can give.

Recknar

02-03-2011

Irelia jungles quite well, ganks very well and can counter jungle very well
Well heres what I can try to answer
Irelias W is great because after 3 levels in it she's always at full health in the jungle and it makes it very difficult to push her out of lane, also the only way to "counter" true damage is stacking health, the damage really does add up
Her ult is good for finishing people off when chasing and for healing her in fights, it can be used while attacking and running so you should be popping it and using it to damage/heal up all the time
If your playing like a carry you should be waiting till CC's done, jumping on their squishies, stunning and tearing them to pieces while you use your ult to tank
Your builds a problem as well, getting upgraded boots and a big damage item (TForce/Bloodrazer) is very important, but if you keep trying to get more damage items right after your just going to get torn to pieces, if your dieing or taking too much damage, stop building damage and get situational survivability, you need to be alive to do damage

BigBlueFish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2011

Irelia's ult is for healing. Her Q has a few quirks that you get used to over time. Max Q and E first, ignore W until later, unless you need the HP regen for laning.

As for burst, get a Sheen --> Triforce, Black Cleaver, then defense items.

SirCumference

02-04-2011

You're doing it wrong. I almost always max E first because early game it gives you burst, max W next and only 1 point in Q until later because all you need is the dash portion of it, since it doesn't add as much damage as E early even if you're going AD.

I like to build Tanky on Irelia and honestly I think Nashor's tooth is a waste on her, like a big waste. I like to player her a bit more tanky and grab a phage, atma, fozen mallet, banshees, sprit visage, stuff like that. Trinity is also very good on her.

Valhirien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2011

If u're building bloodrazor then don't waste money on Triforce. Those two items don't work all that well witch each other, in fact they're parts of different builds, different approaches.

Also, your so called "AP build" is actually lacking in terms of AP and has ridiculous CDR overkill.

Flygoniq

02-04-2011

For the CDR build I meant merc treads, not CDR boots (my bad).
Thanks for the advice. Trinity is not just very good, it's a core item that should be present in most builds imo. BTW SirCumference, I never said anything about my skill order, I think. I agree that E should be maxed first. As a jungler, I get W to 3, Max E, then Q, then finish W.
In an AP build, Nashor's tooth has every stat Irelia needs. AS, AP, MP/5, and CDR. I use this build when my team has a tank with a brain, which is usually the game I win.

However, after all these comments, there hasn't been much on her playstyle tbh. What do I do in a teamfight? Should Irelia be a carry? Should she be a tanky DPS (Very hard to do without a carry's amount of kills btw)? Should she be last or first in a teamfight (understanding this differs from classic DPS-Burst AP-Tanky AD)? How should I make the most out of Trinity Procs? Would like to hear from a master.

TheLonePube

02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygoniq View Post
However, after all these comments, there hasn't been much on her playstyle tbh. What do I do in a teamfight? Should Irelia be a carry? Should she be a tanky DPS (Very hard to do without a carry's amount of kills btw)? Should she be last or first in a teamfight (understanding this differs from classic DPS-Burst AP-Tanky AD)? How should I make the most out of Trinity Procs? Would like to hear from a master.
Built tanky-triforce, Irelia is the following simultaneously: an AD carry, a carry assassin, and an offtank. In team fights, let your main tank initiate before you go in. Once the battle has begun, Q-dash onto their carries and kill them. Irelia is naturally tanky with her W and R. If you use these skills properly (especially the R), you can heal yourself A LOT in team fights. Save the R for when you're getting beat on. You also get a lot of healing from your Q+triforce+vamp sceptre combo.

Legendary Jason

02-04-2011

Irelia's ult can give u alot more health to lane longer similar to mundo's ult .
get tri force as fast as possible . in team fights kill squishy people first. last couple of games i carried with irelia as solo mid . always get merc treads they best boots. then, black cleaver, phantom dancer, banshees and youll be very powerful . the problem with her is she cant 1v1 some dps people like olaf xin etc. max e first because it does good damage