Champion tiers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Wrath of God

02-04-2011

sorry to be a noob, but anyone want to explain the tiers, or who is in each tier or how they are classified, or how to find all this info? i cant search LOL and the knowledge base is worthless for that, so.... yeah. i keep hearing about the tier system and this person went up(or to this tier) or down and i just want a more defined explanation of it...

anyone want to help me out?

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-04-2011

Tiers aren't really useful to newer players. They only apply assuming both teams have high levels of skill, are effective with most champions, and can work together well. (It's really primarily useful in ranked games that use the ban format, and players are more effective at countering.)

Really all you want to make sure right now is that your team composition is somewhat normal (you have one of most roles), but all champions are equally viable at low levels.

ShadyGrave

02-04-2011

highly, highly recommend you ignore tiers. tiers are purely subjective and imo bad influence especially on new players. anyways i think your talking about champion tiers. basically people rank champs based on how powerful they are on a premade team of 5v5 or 3v3. first tier is generally champs that "excel" at their role and are a must pick. 2nd tier is basically just slightly worse than 1st tier, so on and so on.

now i want to explain why i dont like tiers. for months eve was considered one of the worst (if not worst) champ you could select, therefore she was put at the very bottom on the tier list. someone found out a nifty way to build her and jungle with her and overnight she was the best champ you could select.

by using a tier list you immediately limit yourself to some champs whether purposely or not. that really can be horrible, especially since many of the champs that are "low tier" are some of the most entertaining or rewarding to play.

Slade

02-04-2011

Elementz basically made a tier list of where each champion in his opinion belonged for high ELO players. I'm not sure where it is, but you can easily google for his tier list. I wouldn't regard it though if you are new to the game. It won't have much effect on you. Play whichever champion you deem fun and just roll with the game and have a good time.

You can read up on all the classifications on his post and his tier list.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=109533

There's the link for it.

TimeZoned

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2011

BTW here is the latest tier list from Elementz i've seen on the Internet.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/95443...gends/57772822

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

02-04-2011

Huh.

'Ignore tier lists, they're largely useless except as a mental exercise or debate topic between more experienced players.'

'Hey guys, look at this tier list I found!'

Interesting... >.>

fooolishfool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2011

Everyone has some idea, based on the games they have played, which champions they like to see on their team / don't like to see on the other team, which champions can go either way, and which champions they don't really like to see on their team - this is all a tier list is (yes, you too have your own personal tier list). Not everyone has seen every champion played recently, or even better, has seen every champion played well recently, which is why it can sometimes help to see how what you think compares to what other, perhaps more experienced people think (especially when their explanations of changes/etc. are at least somewhat explained); and obviously, peoples opinions change as they encounter new ideas and see playstyles change, hence the Eve example from above.

In any case, the best thing you can do is to try and play every champion, since then you will have the best idea of what they are good at and how to work with/against them: this'll give you a baseline idea from which you can form a better opinion of the various champions abilities as you get more experienced.

Also, in general people's opinions of champions changes significantly every few weeks, so champions considered powerful when you are level 1-10 will likely not be nearly considered powerful when you get to level 30 (possible exceptions being riot's "target" champions like Annie and Ashe, they won't really change).