FPS cap?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Customs

01-20-2010

I was just wondering, is there was anyway to cap the fps in-game?

Fr05tbite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2010

When you say "cap" do you mean literally put a max limit on the FPS or do you mean "capture".

If you want to cap then go into the menu in a game and click video and check the "vertical sync" option. this will cap it at your monitors refresh rate which will work.

If you want to capture the FPS the get FRAPS.

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

01-20-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

In the video option menu in-game, enabling v-sync should cap your FPS at 60.

Customs

01-27-2010

Ahh when i say cap i want to put an actual cap on the FPS. It would be ideal for me to cap it around 30 of that is at all possible.

ie. /console maxfps 30 (WoW)

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

01-27-2010

There is no console command to set a max fps (no console for that matter).

Also, is there a specific reason you're trying to cap your FPS? Just because you have a higher FPS doesn't mean your stressing out your card. Case and point, if you run Half-Life at 800x600 (or lower O_o) on a system with a GTX 275 you'll be running something like 200 FPS, that's also not stressing your card. Versus trying to run Crysis on max settings at 2560x2048 you'll be chugging along at low FPS with a stressed out card.

FeLpZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aregionius View Post
There is no console command to set a max fps (no console for that matter).

Also, is there a specific reason you're trying to cap your FPS? Just because you have a higher FPS doesn't mean your stressing out your card. Case and point, if you run Half-Life at 800x600 (or lower O_o) on a system with a GTX 275 you'll be running something like 200 FPS, that's also not stressing your card. Versus trying to run Crysis on max settings at 2560x2048 you'll be chugging along at low FPS with a stressed out card.
i dont think hes worried about "stressing his card out" and wants a constant fps

Mr Montana

01-28-2010

Just a General question. Will this provide smoother gameplay?

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

01-28-2010

Constant FPS will not provide smoother gameplay. The only thing that will provide smoother (Graphically related) gameplay is ensuring that your minimum FPS does not drop below 30-32.

Customs

02-03-2010

I only wanted to know this cause of some heat issues when on a laptop capping the fps would decrease the heat generated.

meh