How important are aura items?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XrBob

01-20-2010

Starks's fervor, aegis of the legion, soul shroud, mana manipulator, enervating locket. They all provide buffs to not only you, but to your nearby allies as well. This can absolutely turn the tide in battle. How common and important are they? Should every tank build an aegis? At least one dps have starks? I'm not sure the other 3 or others I'm forgetting are as popular or useful, but still can be great, especially mana manipulator in early laning.

Navoc

01-20-2010

Everyone having an aegis can REALLY make a difference late game. It's one of those items that if you have space and gold, getting 3 or 4 of your team to pick them up isn't bad.

Unless you have only 1 physical DPS, I would always recommend getting a starks. It's a very valuable item, and can benefit everyone (but synergizes best with physical DPS).

Innervating Locket is great on Soraka and Alistar (and maybe a few others).

Mana Manipulator is a great early game item in a few cases

- Your lane partner is a mana user
- It's used in another items recipe

Nicelikerice

01-20-2010

The aura items are very important to the success of your team. Even though aegis was nerfed, it is still a pretty substantial buff for the team. If there is a tank on your team, aegis should be somewhere in the first few items of the build. Starks is also very good, but only essential if you have multiple physical dpsers. As for soul shroud, there is a niche group of champions that the item is good for. It is pretty good on some and fairly mediocre on others. One last aura item that you did not mention, which is very helpful to your team is frozen heart. If the other team is physical heavy, you should be sure that someone on your team gets one. Locket is another niche item. There are about three people who it is somewhat effective one, and for everyone else it is useless. The problem with locket is that is it somewhat inferior to other catalyst items. When given the choice of locket, veil, or rod 99% will chose the later 2.

tl:dr
Aegis - ESSENTIAL
Starks - If multiple physical dpsers - ESSENTIAL
Soul Shroud - Fills a niche role for certain champs, if not one of those - NON ESSENTIAL
Frozen Heart - If the other team is physical heavy - ESSENTIAL
Locket - Kind of fills a niche role (i think its a pretty lackluster item) - NON ESSENTIAL

JunkRamen

01-20-2010

Aegis is a must for any team.

Stark's is great if you have multiple physical carries.

The rest of them aren't as important but are still pretty good buys if anybody can fit them. Not a lot of characters can comfortably fit something like Soul Shroud into their build.

AmyOverlord

01-20-2010

Aegis seems weak as hell, to be honest. Doesn't seem worth the 2k gold it takes to build it. It gives like, what, a whole 20-25 armor/magic resistance?

Fexii

01-20-2010

@AmyOverload You're missing the point. During a gank when all 5 players are together, the total effect of Aegis is +115 armor, +120 magic resistance and +50 damage. That's a lot of extra firepower the other team will need to bring yours down, all thanks to one item.

Voidgolem

01-20-2010

True, the amount isn't much. However it's applied to your entire team during the teamfight, the cumulative effect out-weighs many other items of equal or greater price.

...granted, if your team insists on going solo all the time, an aura item is substantially less valuable (You'll also probably lose to ganks)

Slide

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicelikerice View Post
Aegis - ESSENTIAL
Starks - If multiple physical dpsers - ESSENTIAL
Soul Shroud - Fills a niche role for certain champs, if not one of those - NON ESSENTIAL
Frozen Heart - If the other team is physical heavy - ESSENTIAL
Locket - Kind of fills a niche role (i think its a pretty lackluster item) - NON ESSENTIAL
QFT except Frozen Heart. When the aura becomes multiplicative (so it does more then cancel Berzerker Boots) it will be a phenomenal aura. Till then, not essential as an aura item.

EDIT: According to the tooltip in game Aegis affects all allied units. That means creeps too. Tell me adding 10 damage to each creep in a wave is lackluster in any way, and I will show you a player who doesnt understand strategy or game mechanics.

Of course there is the other players and its bonuses for the cost when spread across 5 players is incredible. People always seem to forget about the creep wave though. Its HUGE when pushing the last 2 towers and nexus as it increases the damage your 3 lanes of accumulated creeps do by a substantial amount and makes them last on average 1 extra tower hit.

Prospero

01-20-2010

I suspect the tooltip is wrong. Last time I was running with an Aegis I checked a minion and there was no modifier icon for Aegis on it.

Koozer

01-20-2010

The Aegis DOES affect minions. You just have to be close enough. Talking of minions, do the health regen/lifesteal auras affect minions too? I would think minions that can regen their health would be pretty powerful.