Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Gangplank Rework ideas

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GOODY 12

10-05-2014

Gangplank has always been my favourite champ and now I hear they're planning a rework which got my mind exploding with ideas, so here is my proposed rework for gangplank. Some feedback would be unreal.

Original Abilities:

Passive (Grog-Soaked Blade)
Gangplank's basic attacks and Parrrley apply a poison that deals magic damage each second and slows Movement Speed. Lasts 3 seconds and stacks up to 3 times.

Q (Parrrley) Cost: 50/55/60/65/70 Mana Range: 625
Gangplank takes aim and shoots an enemy unit with his pistol. If Parrrley deals a killing blow, he gains extra gold and half the Mana cost is refunded.
Gangplank shoots a target unit for 20/45/70/95/120 (+100% Attack Damage) physical damage. If Parrrley deals a killing blow, Gangplank gains 4/5/6/7/8 extra gold and half the Mana cost is refunded. Parrrley can crit and applies on hit effects as if a melee basic attack.

W (Remove Scurvy) Cost: 65 Mana Range: Self
Consumes a large quantity of citrus fruit which clears any crowd control effects on him and heals him.
Consumes a large quantity of citrus fruit which clears any crowd control effects on him and heals him for 80/150/220/290/360 (+100% Ability Power) Health.

E (Raise Morale) Cost: 50/55/60/65/70 Mana Range: 1300
Gangplank fires a shot into the air, increasing nearby allied champions' Attack Damage and Movement Speed.
Passive: Gangplank gains 8/10/12/14/16 Attack Damage and 3/4/5/6/7% Movement Speed.
Active: Gangplank fires his pistol into the air, disabling his passive boost but increasing his Attack Damage by 12/19/26/33/40 and Movement Speed by 8/11/14/17/20% and nearby allied champions' Attack Damage and Movement Speed by half that amount for 7 seconds.

R (Cannon Barrage) Cost: 100 Mana Range: 25000
Gangplank signals his ship to fire upon an area for 6 seconds, slowing enemies and dealing damage in random locations within the area.
Signals Gangplank's ship to fire upon an area for 6 seconds, slowing enemies in the area by 25% for the duration. Cannonballs rain upon the area, each causing 75/120/165 (+20% Ability Power) magic damage.

And now for my proposed idea

Passive (Drink Up Me 'Hearties)
In a drunken rage every fourth auto attack damages his target for 120/155/190% (levels 1/9/18) of his total attack damage. (Can stack on Parrrley)

Q (Parrrley) Cost: 60 Mana Range: 625 Cooldown: 5
Gangplank takes aim and shoots an enemy unit with his pistol. If Parrrley deals a killing blow, he gains extra gold and half the Mana cost is refunded.
Gangplank shoots a target unit for 20/45/70/95/120 (+100% Attack Damage) physical damage. If Parrrley deals a killing blow, Gangplank gains 4/5/6/7/8 extra gold and half the Mana cost is refunded.Parrrley can crit and applies on hit effects as if a melee basic attack.

W (Remove Scurvy) ( Cost: 65 Mana Range: Self Cooldown: 20/19/18/17/15
Passive: gangplanks movement speed is increased by 6%
Active: Consumes a large quantity of citrus fruit which clears any crowd control effects on him, heals for 80/150/220/290/360 (+100% Ability Power) while removing his passive and increasing his movement speed by 10/15/20/25/30%.

E (ARRRRRR) Cost: 50 Mana Range: 500 Cooldown: 18/16/14/12/10
Gangplank fiercely jumps to a target unit fearing all enemies in a 400 unit area for .75/1/1.25/1.50/1.75 seconds.

R (Cannon Barrage) Cost 100 Mana Range:2500 Cooldown: 125/110/95
On first upgrade Gangplank signals his ship to fire upon an area every second for 7 seconds. The Cannonballs cause 75/120/165 (+20%AP +10%AD) in the 2500 unit area as well as slowing the enemies movement speed for 35%. On second upgrade of Cannon Barrage Gangplanks crew enhance his cannons to fire at an increased speed of every .75 seconds for 5.25 seconds. On the third upgrade Gangplanks crew enhance his cannons further by knocking an enemy up when they receive damage from the first cannonball. Every successive cannonball acts as if it were on the second upgrade.

Reasons For Change:
Gangplank has 3 iconic abilities (parrrley, remove scurvy and cannon barrage). Removal or a drastic change to any of these abilities would change the overall feel of gangplank, whereas I would like it if gangplank was still gangplank but just more viable to the current meta.

Gangplanks grog-soaked blade slow passive has been removed in favour of a gap closing jump and to make up for his lost slow I've given a slight 10% slow increase to gangplanks ult.

Gangplanks E has been a mediocre ability for a while now and many people believe he deserved another damage ability as he really only has two (Q/R). Clearly I believe a jump would benefit him more, but I also believe he does need another attacking ability hence why I have given him an additional 120/155/190% additional damage through his passive in replacement of a whole new ability.

Gangplanks ult has been know to fall off considerably when in late game, well I have added three major changes to his ult to allow a more effective late game ability. The first is the increased speed on his second upgrade, the second is a small ad ratio of 10% and the third is a small knock up, combined this should make a devastating late game ult.

Gangplank's current abilities don't work well together and they don't allow much for play making. With these new changes it allows for gangplank to fight in areas only dreamt of before. For example gangplank was never much of an initiator, now with his new abilities he has the ability to Ult jump (E) into an enemy team fearing them in his ult and allowing the fight to start giving his team the upper hand. Another example is while he's in lane he can combine his Q and passive Drink Up Me Hearties for additional damage and poke. Before gangplank was a click and point champion, but now with his new passive gangplank while still being click and point has to be concious of when to use his Q as it is much more beneficial when combined with his passive.

These new abilities are set around the pirate theme. Pirates are known for their drinking, hence his passive drink up me hearties, which applies drunken rage. Pirates are known to be feared which is why his knew e has a fear to it. Pirates are fighters and love to cause havoc, I see the best way to express this in Gangplank is to make him a good initiator or at least the ability to do so. And of course pirates love treasure, which the bonus from his q has always done and remains to do so.

Gangplank has always been able to do all the roles, not well, but all the roles. I saw this as an opportunity to make him just a little better at all the roles since people love to build gangplank in many different ways and play him in all different roles. For top and mid his duelling abilities have been increased. For jungle he now can clear faster with his passive and he has two separate crowd control effects ( a fear and a slow) as well as a movement speed boost. As a support he is able to poke with q and cc with his ult and e.

Parrrley, Increased Movement Speed, Global ult, and Remove Scurvy are traits that I believe true Gangplank players love about him and definitely would not want to have removed in his rework.

Potential problems with potential solutions:

parrrley combined with his passive and crit could potentially produce too much damage to resolve this critical damage would do a percentage of damage less ( similar to yasuo's passive of 25% reduced critical damage to steel tempest)

Lets hear some feedback, I'd love to hear it!