Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Constantly being chat restricted because of poor system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

INSTALOCK TEEMO

10-06-2014

For another example of Riot's poor decisions: see the honor system in bot games. Nearly all players that have ribbons have them from bot games.

PrivateBaldric

10-06-2014

Quote:
INSTALOCK TEEMO:
Good point, but report weighting can include frequency of reports by the reporting player. For example, if someone who never reports anybody reports somebody, that is given more weight than someone who reports somebody nearly every game. This has been confirmed by Riot previously.

They do not want to ignore the person who legitimately reports just because they report often. Weighting is based on the legitimacy of reports not the frequency. I would be interested to see Riots confirmation about frequency of reports over legitimacy. The only reference I can find in that regard is for people who abuse the system. Which they will occasionally do ban sweeps for those cases.

Quote:
I would love to believe that the system parses for offenses, since its simple and can look up obvious curse words from their language filter, including racist, homophobic, sexist terms.. because I never use that kind of language (outside of the one game that I got my 14-day suspension based on, mind you) and I am constantly being chat restricted.

So I do not believe the system is parsing any chat at all. My guess, based on my experience of having about 20 game restrictions 4-5 times in a row, is that it is simply based on frequency of report, and then an automated chat restriction is applied.

It is your right to believe how you choose. However at the announcement of chat restrictions as a separate system (previously it was tied in with tribunal time bans) they stated they were using a complex machine learning approach coupled with manual review. They literally fed the history of the tribunal through the program to teach it what to look for. It is significantly more complex than a basic keyword search.

Barring that if its a significant number of well weighted reports but the program finds nothing it is possible that it is manually checked for accuracy. That is just speculation on my part though it would seem prudent to do so.

While it is not a verbatim statement about frequency vs. legitimacy this quote shows that they punish needless reporting.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=28544918#post28544918

This link (same discussion) supports that reports are vetted.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=28546428#post28546428

Mentions false reporting setting your weight to zero.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=28548543#post28548543

I will continue to look for the quote that states that the only time weighting is effected by frequency is when the reports are frivolous. Which would mean they are checked for legitimacy. Overall that discussion I've been pulling from has some enlightening information on the report system if you're feeling up to reading Lytes' 140 something replies lol.

Quote:
The sad part is that people playing ARAM or dominion will rarely get reported because it's a lot more casual, and each of those games are weighed the same in terms of matchmaking as Summoner's Rift, whether normals or ranked. And if they do get reported, its much more unlikely to be consecutive ones.

I'd imagine if you look at how often people are chat restricted that play a lot of ARAM or Dominion to be very low, whereas its much higher for ranked and draft players.

While they may not get reported as often its also likely people are less toxic in a less stressful environment. Other than that I'm not sure what you are trying to convey with this section of your post.

Edit: this with the rest would seem to clarify my ramblings above.

Quote:
a) If you use the report button responsibly, you never have anything to worry about. Remember, reporting someone is telling Riot that you feel that this player does not belong in the community. It's a very serious tool to use and we take it very seriously when a player is reported. The players given 7-day timeouts had often reported over 1000x more than a typical player and used reports to bully, threaten or otherwise create negative experiences for hundreds of others.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=28542568#post28542568

Edit2:

Finally found it.

Quote:
The number of reports made per game varies a lot depending on the territory or the game mode; however, you're an interesting example. You've actually reported players in about 30% of your games give or take which is a really high number compared to the average. However, your report weights are near perfect and you currently have a clean Tribunal record.

This is why I keep saying it's not about the number of players you report, it's all about whether the players show behaviors that warrant reporting and how you communicate with other players about your reporting actions.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=28549619#post28549619

PrivateBaldric

10-06-2014

Quote:
INSTALOCK TEEMO:
For another example of Riot's poor decisions: see the honor system in bot games. Nearly all players that have ribbons have them from bot games.

I agree on this one. The honor system was good in theory but poorly executed.

PrivateBaldric

10-06-2014

Quote:
INSTALOCK TEEMO:
Yes, chronic offenders like me who get reported for playing Teemo in ranked.

Good one, Riot.

I can't help that you feel that way. I can only show you the information on how the systems work. If you truly wish to know why you were sanctioned my best advice is to submit a support ticket. As breaking meta is not a punishable act (nor is champion choice) It might be worth finding out what caused your restrictions.

Assuming you are willing to entertain the idea that its not just number of reports.

lol its georgie

10-06-2014

my last chat restricted game I got reported and have to wait another 15 games

INSTALOCK TEEMO

10-06-2014

Quote:
PrivateBaldric:
They do not want to ignore the person who legitimately reports just because they report often. Weighting is based on the legitimacy of reports not the frequency. I would be interested to see Riots confirmation about frequency of reports over legitimacy. The only reference I can find in that regard is for people who abuse the system. Which they will occasionally do ban sweeps for those cases.

Your link already showed Lyte saying that they look at who reports, not how often. So if you have been punished by tribunal previously, your reports become much more meaningless.
Quote:

It is your right to believe how you choose. However at the announcement of chat restrictions as a separate system (previously it was tied in with tribunal time bans) they stated they were using a complex machine learning approach coupled with manual review. They literally fed the history of the tribunal through the program to teach it what to look for. It is significantly more complex than a basic keyword search.

Quote:

While they may not get reported as often its also likely people are less toxic in a less stressful environment. Other than that I'm not sure what you are trying to convey with this section of your post.

Because not getting reported in ARAM/Dominion lowers your average reports/game. And no one ever gets reported in those modes, and therefore more casual players never get reported because of these less stressful games adding to their average.

PrivateBaldric

10-06-2014

Quote:
INSTALOCK TEEMO:
Your link already showed Lyte saying that they look at who reports, not how often. So if you have been punished by tribunal previously, your reports become much more meaningless.[quote]

He also mentions later that you can regain report weight my using the report system accurately and responsibly. Your statement supports that its about report validity and not volume. Which was what I thought we had been discussing when I made that post.

[quote]
Because not getting reported in ARAM/Dominion lowers your average reports/game. And no one ever gets reported in those modes, and therefore more casual players never get reported because of these less stressful games adding to their average.

Its also follows they are getting less reports in those modes because they are being less toxic if at all. After having reviewed many tribunal cases during its run Dominion and Twisted treeline came up the least. ARAM came up more often then you might think with Summoners Rift coming up the most.

If you're implying that toxic players are just as toxic there but use those modes because people report there less to lower their % of reports per game played I would ask you for confirmation. It is not my experience that they are reported any less in those modes. It is however my experience that the average player is more relaxed in those cases.

People that want to be toxic will continue to do so regardless of mode. I've done reform card reviews with many players that didn't think Dom, TT, and ARAM counted toward tribunal cases. While its possible toxic players go there to "hide" for a while it doesn't make a difference if they are going to be toxic.