Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Constantly being chat restricted because of poor system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

INSTALOCK TEEMO

10-05-2014

The chat restriction system is based on how often you get reported (weighed by how impactful a player's report is), not the content of each report or how severe the offense is.

Which is a problem since people are reporting me for playing Teemo in ranked, especially because of my name. Please expand your chat restriction criteria Riot to other factors, or at least have staff review chat restrictions being triggered.

It is incredibly frustrating to constantly be chat restricted and not be able to chat in ranked games and only rely on pings.

INSTALOCK TEEMO

10-05-2014

Another thing I'd like to add is how some players who report you back, for reporting them. So if you report a player in a game for being toxic, and tell him you are reporting him, he reports you back.

However, if you have been previously chat restricted, you may get a new chat restriction based on your history, whereas your report for his offense will be meaningless if he doesn't get consecutively reported.

PrivateBaldric

10-05-2014

Quote:
INSTALOCK TEEMO:
Another thing I'd like to add is how some players who report you back, for reporting them. So if you report a player in a game for being toxic, and tell him you are reporting him, he reports you back.

However, if you have been previously chat restricted, you may get a new chat restriction based on your history, whereas your report for his offense will be meaningless if he doesn't get consecutively reported.

Then don't tell them you are reporting them. Telling someone you are reporting is antagonizing. It serves little to no purpose. It also more or less guarantees you get reported in return.

Just report them if you are going to do so. Don't ask others to do it and don't announce it. Save yourself the trouble.

INSTALOCK TEEMO

10-05-2014

Well you at least have to tell the enemy team to report them... especially if they are only being toxic in ally chat

PrivateBaldric

10-05-2014

Quote:
INSTALOCK TEEMO:
The chat restriction system is based on how often you get reported (weighed by how impactful a player's report is), not the content of each report or how severe the offense is.

Which is a problem since people are reporting me for playing Teemo in ranked, especially because of my name. Please expand your chat restriction criteria Riot to other factors, or at least have staff review chat restrictions being triggered.

It is incredibly frustrating to constantly be chat restricted and not be able to chat in ranked games and only rely on pings.

The restriction system uses a program to parse chat for offenses if someone is reported. For very minor offenses it handles those directly (similar to leaverbuster in a way). I believe anything 10 games and under is automated. I'll see if I can find the quote.

Should the player in question cross a certain threshold the player is flagged for review. At which point their chat is manually reviewed. If within certain tolerances they can receive an increased chat restriction or if warranted is escalated to a time ban.

The specifics of how the above works is undisclosed to prevent gaming the system.

In either case it is not merely number of reports otherwise every player would receive a chat restriction as its known and stated by Riot that nearly everyone receives some reports. Those are then vetted and processed. If nothing untoward is found nothing happens to the reported player and the reporter loses report weight.

I would like to invite your attention to something.

Quote:
(weighed by how impactful a player's report is)

You can't determine report weighting if there is no review of those reports.

PrivateBaldric

10-05-2014

Quote:
INSTALOCK TEEMO:
Well you at least have to tell the enemy team to report them... especially if they are only being toxic in ally chat

Why? One report is all that is needed to flag the game for review. What would you gain by having the enemy team report? The system works off number of game reported. Not the total number of reports.

For example:

Player 1 receives 9 reports in 1 game = 1 game flagged

Player 2 1 report per game for 9 games = 9 games flagged.

The system would flag player 2 for review. Same number of reports in total. It is because player 2 is likely to have negatively effected more people and that makes it worth it to take a look at their behavior.

A large % of players go on tilt on rare occasion. Who hasn't had a game go badly in every aspect? Occasionally they snap. Riot is after the chronic rule breakers and the above ensures that happens.

INSTALOCK TEEMO

10-05-2014

Good point, but report weighting can include frequency of reports by the reporting player. For example, if someone who never reports anybody reports somebody, that is given more weight than someone who reports somebody nearly every game. This has been confirmed by Riot previously.

I would love to believe that the system parses for offenses, since its simple and can look up obvious curse words from their language filter, including racist, homophobic, sexist terms.. because I never use that kind of language (outside of the one game that I got my 14-day suspension based on, mind you) and I am constantly being chat restricted.

So I do not believe the system is parsing any chat at all. My guess, based on my experience of having about 20 game restrictions 4-5 times in a row, is that it is simply based on frequency of report, and then an automated chat restriction is applied.

The sad part is that people playing ARAM or dominion will rarely get reported because it's a lot more casual, and each of those games are weighed the same in terms of matchmaking as Summoner's Rift, whether normals or ranked. And if they do get reported, its much more unlikely to be consecutive ones.

I'd imagine if you look at how often people are chat restricted that play a lot of ARAM or Dominion to be very low, whereas its much higher for ranked and draft players.

INSTALOCK TEEMO

10-05-2014

Quote:
PrivateBaldric:
Why? One report is all that is needed to flag the game for review. What would you gain by having the enemy team report? The system works off number of game reported. Not the total number of reports.

For example:

Player 1 receives 9 reports in 1 game = 1 game flagged

Player 2 1 report per game for 9 games = 9 games flagged.

The system would flag player 2 for review. Same number of reports in total. It is because player 2 is likely to have negatively effected more people and that makes it worth it to take a look at their behavior.

Many people go on tilt on rare occasions. Who hasn't had a game go badly in every aspect? Riot is after the chronic rule breakers and the above ensures that happens.

Tilting is very common in ranked. I've gone from Platinum 3 to Platinum 5 this week. Previous I went from Platinum 2 to Gold 4. Streaks are very common as well, I've had the opposite climbing up similarly.

I would not call it "rare" at all

PrivateBaldric

10-05-2014

Quote:
INSTALOCK TEEMO:
Tilting is very common in ranked. I've gone from Platinum 3 to Platinum 5 this week. Previous I went from Platinum 2 to Gold 4. Streaks are very common as well, I've had the opposite climbing up similarly.

I would not call it "rare" at all

The ranked player base is the smallest percentage of players by mode (ranked vs normal). When I talk about rare its on a per person basis. They are looking for chronic offenders.

INSTALOCK TEEMO

10-05-2014

Quote:
PrivateBaldric:
The ranked player base is the smallest percentage of players by mode. When I talk about rare its on a per person basis. They are looking for chronic offenders.

Yes, chronic offenders like me who get reported for playing Teemo in ranked.

Good one, Riot.