Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

New Jungler, looking for tips.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BParisien

10-05-2014

Hi lads,

New Jungler here, however not a new player. Although I have a fresh account, I am not new to the game. There has been changes since I left, but I am quickly learning. I am not by any means a great player, but a decent one I would hope. I have NEVER tried Jungling before. I have been watching hours of YouTube guides, plays, etc. I have looked up guides but I am still a little confused. I have chosen my Jungler (Kha'Zix), know my item build, stat distribution, masteries, runes, etc. However, what I am lacking is the actual Jungling aspect. I know why you Jungle, and that I should be focusing on ganking and helping out the team. However, when I'm not helping the team take down towers or ganking, do I constantly repeat the same rotation? That's fine if its the case, and I will learn as I play, but I'm looking for insight if I am constantly doing the same route. I would like to follow a route, as I start out and am new to Jungling.

Here seems to be the only "route" I could find: http://www.wikihow.com/Jungle-in-League-of-Legends
If you find a better route, then please link me it I am not trying to be linear in jungling, however this will help me get a feel for Jungling. T

Thanks in advance,
Bparisien

BParisien

10-05-2014

Also, on the minimap I never really payed attention (was playing a bot game), and I saw that there are little mini cursors as to where things spawn in the jungle. I think that's very useful for new junglers like myself, and was wondering if it is like that in normal games?

MiLdLYirriTaTed

10-06-2014

Jungling is a role that requires good decision making, so it's very situation based. You should read more guides and play more games, because there is no one size fits all for jungling. I'm a Kha'zix main as well, so I will attempt to answer some of your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Yes, the minimap is exactly the same in PvP as well, however it only gets updated dependent on your vision. Meaning that if you saw that your golems are up 10 minutes ago and never went back to check, mini map will still show a cursor that they are still up, however if the opposing jungler decided to invade your jungle and take your golems, when you come in the golem camp you will find nothing there even though there was a star in the minimap before! (after seeing that they are gone, the minimap will appropriately show no cursor at that camp anymore).

There are 2 general routes for all junglers unless you are doing something funky.
Route 1: Start at blue golem camp, use smite to kill blue faster/take less damage, then do either wolves OR wraiths, not both, then do red lizard camp (smite should be back off of cooldown at this pt, so use it again!) At this point you can opt to gank bot, gank mid, or continue to farm if neither lanes present an opportunity.
Route 2: Same as 1 but in reverse. Start red, use smite, take either wraits or wolves, not both, then take blue with smite, gank mid or top if the lanes are gankable. Otherwise continue to farm.

Certain champions like Lee Sin and rengar benefit more from Red buff than blue buff since they use no mana, so they opt to use Route 2 more often. Most junglers use route 1 because they are blue buff dependent early game.

*IMPORTANT*
You don't HAVE to gank. If opponents are playing safe, warding and staying close to his tower you will not kill him if you gank. So instead of wasting time with that, go back to farm.

As per your question on what to do if your lanes are not gankable, you can opt to either go back to farming in your own jungle, or go to the enemy jungle, drop some deep wards and start to take his jungle (this is a very high risk high reward move, it can outright win you the game or make you a liability if you are careless).

Counter jungling is a whole different game and you should look up guides on how that is done, when to do it, etc. It is always a good idea however to buy wards, go sneak into the enemy jungle between your routes and ward the enemy red, or enemy blue, or in the bush between the enemy middle inner turret the wraiths. You want to ward these areas because you want to know where the enemy jungler is at all times, it provides safety for all your lanes AND gives you an opportunity to go sneak into the enemy jungle with a buddy and 2v1 the enemy jungler.

As per Kha guides, make sure you are using the updated ones. Back in the day you would evolve Q or E first and max Q first, and never evolve W. However, in light of recent nerfs the modern Kha build focuses on evolving W and maxing W first, evolve Q last (max Q second). Occasionally you can evolve E first if you are ahead and are killing things left and right.

MiLdLYirriTaTed

10-06-2014

Of another note, vision is a BIG deal and as a new player this is one aspect of the game I completely ignored. Your eyes should constantly be on the mini map to see how your laners are doing, and likewise you should always be warding everything (which requires you to buy wards constantly) so that you have more vision. There are certain junglers who focus exclusively on vision, like nunu, and carries the team on objective control alone.

Unfortunately warding is ignored in lower levels, but once you start to do it, you will see how useful it is and how it can save your lives/get kills. Look up guides on places that should be warded (ofc you are limited to 3 wards so you cant ward EVERYTHING -- but you can ping areas that need to be warded to your teammates).

Saehwo

10-06-2014

Hi, I'm not really into Jungling (as in I've only played Yi Jungle) but my route is blue/red (preferably blue) immediately to red/blue then to the smaller camps. Is this okay? Any drawbacks?

I do this bc I will already have my W which will give me enough sustain and I'm kinda [VERY] paranoid about my buffs, too.

A BlTCH SLAP

10-06-2014

Quote:
Saehwo:
Hi, I'm not really into Jungling (as in I've only played Yi Jungle) but my route is blue/red (preferably blue) immediately to red/blue then to the smaller camps. Is this okay? Any drawbacks?

I do this bc I will already have my W which will give me enough sustain and I'm kinda [VERY] paranoid about my buffs, too.

The Buff, minor camp then buff route is largely due to the smite timer before it was changed and people got used to having a longer CD, thus going to a minor camp before the stronger buff camp to get smite back up.

With the changes to smite (lower CD, less damage) awhile back you can effectively run from buff straight to another buff with smite back on to finish the large monster off. This method is preferred for me over the Buff --> Minor Camp --> Buff

1. Less time for the enemy to invade and steal your buff. If they decide to do it they may arrive right when you're finishing if theyre expecting you to stop off in between a minor camp, thereby wasting their time or duelling you while you have dual buffs vs their single, both of which are bad engagements for them.

2. Both B-MC-B or B-B-MC path gets you level 3 after the 3rd camp. If you're looking for a level 3 gank starting from blue, having red will help you clear the 3rd camp faster if you went Blue - Red - Camp = able to gank a few seconds earlier. Downside to this is using red buff on jungle monsters and less red buff duration for ganking.

3. If you B-B-MC starting red, you will have your blue respawn earlier than if you went B-MC-B, thus gives your midlaner an earlier blue if you decide to give it up to him.

You'll get a better feel based on experience for the minor camp rotation but it's not always the same depending on which lanes needs to be camped more and what champion you have based on how good their sustain and gank strength.

WW with his huge sustain I can go blue, red, golem, wraiths, wolves, big wraith, wraiths and golems. B for jung item, boots, wards. Wraith, wolves, big wraith then blue for level 6 by ~7 min to gank.

Xin is blue, red, wraiths, level 3 gank, wolves, gank/wraiths and back. He doesnt have the same sustain for as many camps but can gank earlier

BParisien

10-06-2014

Thank you MildyIrritated, and everyone else! This has been a huge help and will change the process on how I Jungle. I am really excited to start Jungling as Kha, as he has a cool feel to the champion, and I love the assassin play style. I am going to play a lot of bot games to feel comfortable at Jungling, and maximize the tools you guys have given me. I really appreciate it. I have one question however, as I'm Jungling, and repeating these routes and ganking, when do I stop ganking and start laning? Is there a certain level? Or do I Jungle throughout the whole game and only come out of the Jungle to help enemies take objectives and help them in team fights, gank enemies? As of right now I am still having troubles finding all of the camps, so I am a little under leveled, but I will figure it out. Lastly, my route right now is ancient golems, wolves or wraiths, lizards, and then big golem, you didn't include big golem? Avoid it or do it? After that, while things are on cool down, do I try and specifically look for ganks or farm their Jungle? I guess it would be cautiously up to me? I'm really curious on when to stop Jungling if there is a point when I should, thanks guys!!

SFG mAEtb0y

10-06-2014

Unless you are playing a particularly mana-hungry jungler (i.e. Fiddlesticks, Amumu) your ideal jungle route depends on whether you are on blue or purple side, because you will want to start on the bottom side of the map. Your most common starting route on blue side will be Red>Wraiths>Blue>Gank, and on purple side it will be Blue>Wraiths>Red>Gank. You should prioritize wraiths for your first clear because they deal less damage and die faster than wolves. After that you will want to farm jungle and gank after clearing all nearby camps. Make sure you take your buffs on time and do not spend too much time looking for ganks, unless you are playing a gank-oriented jungler who does not clear efficiently like Lee Sin or Evelynn. If you are not going to gank early, you can go Red>Wraiths>Blue>Wight>Wolves>Wraiths>Golems>Base or Blue>Wolves>Red>Golems>Wraiths>Wolves>Wight>Base to optimize your route for farm speed. After this first clear you will return to farming the jungle until you get your second Blue or Red, depending on which you took first.
Jungle routes are designed to maximize the efficiency of your clear until you hit a power spike, at which point you look to make plays around the map. There are many possible routes and many variations on those routes which create unique power windows and open up new opportunities. If you want to really become a jungle expert just do it a lot, experiment heavily, and figure out what works.