Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Suggestion] Harsher/faster penalties for Leaving/AFK in a promotional match

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaawn

10-05-2014

Players are particularly upset and let-down when someone on their team leaves the match or AFKs during a promotional match. I think the game should alert all players in a match during the loading screen that it is part of someone's promotional series (but not WHO). Then, if anyone in that game quits or AFKs, harsher penalties should be applied to the offending account and more quickly than normal.

This would compensate for not being able to dodge a promotional match, serve as an extra deterrent for bad behavior during important matches, AND I think it would help stave off the toxicity that brews when someone "ruins a promo." People will feel a bit of comfort if the game makes it clear that any "leavers" will incur harsher penalties.

Obviously there may be some kinks to work out with this, but I think overall it is a simple idea that would improve the collective morale of all players.

odd 1nt3g3r5

10-05-2014

The problem with this is that no summoner ever gets to choose to be in a promo match, theirs or someone else's. And harsher punishment on a promo match is just arbitrary. It's literally the exact same offense. I like the sentiment but this isn't a fair proposition.

Jaawn

10-05-2014

Quote:
odd 1nt3g3r5:
The problem with this is that no summoner ever gets to choose to be in a promo match, theirs or someone else's. And harsher punishment on a promo match is just arbitrary. It's literally the exact same offense. I like the sentiment but this isn't a fair proposition.

This doesn't really matter though, since you should never leave the game or AFK or be toxic in general. I don't think we need to be protecting people's choice to be toxic. You shouldn't be toxic every once in awhile because you've calculated the risk of getting banned or something lol...you should just not be toxic ever.

I think the notification that it is a promo is enough.

Verideathul

10-05-2014

Quote:
Jaawn:
This doesn't really matter though, since you should never leave the game or AFK or be toxic in general.

There's already a system in place for that known as Leaverbuster.

Quote:
I don't think we need to be protecting people's choice to be toxic.

So my power goes out, and you just happen to be in your promotional match. I get punished harder for something i did not do?

Quote:
You shouldn't be toxic every once in awhile because you've calculated the risk of getting banned or something lol...you should just not be toxic ever.

Agreed...but leniency is leniency for a reason. They can use it as they please.

Quote:
I think the notification that it is a promo is enough.

Do I get the option of declining being in someone else's promotional game if this system were to be implemented?

Jaawn

10-06-2014

Quote:
Verideathul:
There's already a system in place for that known as Leaverbuster.

I know, I'm saying leaverbuster should be slightly quicker/harsher if someone leaves after being notified that they are in someone's promo match.

Quote:
Verideathul:

So my power goes out, and you just happen to be in your promotional match. I get punished harder for something i did not do?

That shouldn't be an issue. No system should apply a penalty for a single AFK/Leave incident. If you are having power or network instability, and you STILL queue for games, repeated events should be treated the same as someone ragequitting in several games. One leave or AFK due to power is understandable, multiple are not. After the first, you should stop playing ranked for that day.

Quote:
Verideathul:

Do I get the option of declining being in someone else's promotional game if this system were to be implemented?

No, and you shouldn't. The point of the notice is to let you know that this is an important match for someone, and you should respect that by being a bro and being on your best behavior.

Verideathul

10-06-2014

Quote:
Jaawn:
I know, I'm saying leaverbuster should be slightly quicker/harsher if someone leaves after being notified that they are in someone's promo match.

I disagree.

Quote:
That shouldn't be an issue. No system should apply a penalty for a single AFK/Leave incident. If you are having power or network instability, and you STILL queue for games, repeated events should be treated the same as someone ragequitting in several games. One leave or AFK due to power is understandable, multiple are not. After the first, you should stop playing ranked for that day.

Oh trust me, if you want to throw additional penalties already on top of the twice as tough on ranked Leaverbuster systems, along with the soon to be upgraded Leaverbuster system, you've got issues.

Quote:
No, and you shouldn't. The point of the notice is to let you know that this is an important match for someone, and you should respect that by being a bro and being on your best behavior.

So why am I forced to be subjected to higher standards that I don't want to be, simply because the system placed me within someone else's promotion match? Quite frankly, if anything happens IRL or emergency wise where I get DCed or otherwise am unable to play, I don't deserve such heightened punishments for using up the leniency I have in a manner I see fit.