Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Jungle Tank Udyr

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zahkara

10-04-2014

Hey guys I just recently bought Udyr and I'm really confused on how to play him. What would his skill order be and his item build as well to be tanky but still deal significant damage.

Lord Khaoz

10-04-2014

Depends , you can build ad, ap or tanky. I'd suggest go find a couple of guides off mobafire.com, solomid.net, or lolking.net and try to find the best build for your playstyle.

Tahra

10-05-2014

With Udyr there's several options to build tanky. The first is by your ability. Turtle stance gives you a shield (and importantly -- Life Steal). So you can build this 1 of 2 ways (or both). Simply leveling up W to max first gives enough "tankiness" for the lane phase. If you want a boost or not to level it up, you can just buy ability power and level to your desire. The AP will increase the shield from turtle stance.

You may want decent damage in the lane phase so if that's the case Id recommend level w once, buying ap, then leveling e once, then q the rest of the way.

After 1 AP piece (at least the 840 gold one) get the BF sword. Start off chasing them down with e, then pop your shield (w), then q. If you are getting low on health go back to W. Always have the option at anypoint to switch to e for stun then run away with the speed boost it gives.

Tahra

10-05-2014

oh, and I don't know why but I can't seem to find anypoint to the "ult" key r for him unless it's to aoe mobs

Unsteady

Recruiter

10-05-2014

Udyr player here - This is what I build when im jungling

I start with a machete and four health pots - standard jungling. Yellow trinket.

When I'm around 1150 gold (~lvl 3 or 4) I recall and get a Madreds and Spirit stone for better clear times.

After that, this is my build order

Wriggles Lantern > Mercs > Triforce

Then I have options.

I can build damage or tank. Usually if I feel I am dying alot I go for tank, but if I'm not having any problems I'll go full damage.

By here, you probably dont need your spirit stone so go and sell it.

Offensive Items: Zephyr, Maw, and then I'd probably get one tank item, either a Frozen Heart or a Randuins.

Defensive: Randuins for sure, Iceborn Gauntlet, and either a Frozen Heart or Thornmail.

Good luck! Add me and we can play some games.

Also, if you are confused about his ultimate, its because he doesn't have one. He just has four stances.

I usually max Pheonix first, get Tiger 2nd but dont max it(You gotta leave one skill at 3), bear third (max 2nd) and turtle stance for the lifesteal and shield. (Max it 3rd)

Masteries: 21/9/0

Runes: Friends say that 9 armor yellows, 3 MR and 6 CDR blues. 9 attack speed reds and 3 attack speed quints are most effective.

The Kayin

10-05-2014

Udyr will get pretty tanky no matter what items you put on him and so he can adapt well to situations. His strengths and weaknesses are always the same though.

I consider him an Off-tank really and he's honestly better utilized as a bruiser. He has great natural damage early game and naturally becomes tanky late game.

If you're going to focus on tank I'd stay away from the Godyr build that TheBossPineapple spelled out. It's a perfectly valid Udyr build so try it out sometime but if you want to focus tank I'd say adapt a little:

- Try Eldar Lizard as first item. It takes advantage of your early game damage and gives you that early game gank damage bonus. Since you'll be building turtle stance instead of bear, SoEL will help you maintain that early game presence.
- Merc Treads if the team has CC and/or an AP threat. If the team is all AD, go Ninja Tabi.
- Frozen Heart + Sunfire Cape for your armor. Udry is in your face so the passives help.
- Locket of Iron Solari for MR - the aura and passive are unbeatable for a tank
- Warmogs never hurts a tank

Your job will be to run in as bear and stun as many targets as you can. Switch to bear to tank. You won't do much damage and you can't split push as well but it should get the tank job done.