Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Can you be punished for reporting someone?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krigjer

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Let me elaborate. I had a Gnar in my game today that immediately started insulting our Lee Sin jungle because the enemy jungle killed him twice. I mean real insults. 'You piece of trash, I hope you die irl, I hope you get cancer' etc.
I stuck up for Lee Sin. I told Gnar that I understood he was upset but that insulting Lee Sin did nothing and I didn't understand why he was being so rude. I encouraged my teammates to report Gnar for his behavior because such comments are entirely unnecessary.
Gnar told me he was 'counter-reporting' me and that I would also be punished because League punishes anyone that opens their mouth and that arguing is bannable.

I'm not worried, because if I get banned for sticking up for someone then this isn't a game I need to devote my time to anyway.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Quote:
I encouraged my teammates to report Gnar for his behavior because such comments are entirely unnecessary.

You were fine up to this point. Asking for reports is often a toxic behavior in its own right and can contribute as much or more to the problem as the original offender.

You should only respond to someone who is being toxic if you can do so in a non-toxic, non-disruptive way. Most of the time it's better to fall back on "Mute, Report & Move On."

Shelzin

10-04-2014

Shelzin:

Don't threaten to report.. Don't tell people you are going to report... Don't ask people to report someone else. All that does is create negativity and get you reported, and punished by the tribunal. Ignore and report after the game... That easy.

Riot Lyte quote (http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=9314350#9314350)

There's an interesting tidbit here. We ran a language processing analysis once on 'good' players and 'toxic' players and tried to determine the most common words used by these populations.

It turns out that for some of the most toxic players in the world, the most common word they use is "reported."

BillyTheAttorney:

Why does it matter if the other team reports someone on your team? What does it accomplish?

1) It does not get them to the Tribunal faster. 1 Report = 9 Reports for the sake of Tribunal threshold.

2) Do you report someone because someone says so? Especially on the other team? Or do you just report people that you see doing something wrong yourself. Wouldn't other people also think similar thoughts as yourself?

3) Do you get annoyed when the enemy team brings their problems to all-chat? Why should it be different when it's your issues with your teammate?
--------------------

I'm not here to sit and say "who's wrong and who's right" If I knew that, I'd make a lot more money than I do. But what I do know is that it's hard enough in this game to fight the 5 people on the other team without trying to also play four other champions and fighting with my teammates as the same time.

Who cares? You aren't going to convince people they're wrong (even if they are) when they're denying it. A lot of minor annoyances add up over a game. Sure we get frustrated, but the constant small bickering is just adding to your frustration and continues the cycle.

DreamKrusherJ:

What is so difficult to understand about this statement:

"In this game, no matter what your teammates are doing, there is never a valid excuse for YOU to be toxic."

dota isbettter r

10-04-2014

According to you there is no reason to be toxic because your not the one actually playing the match. If someone cursed at you and was deliberately trying to annoy you and no matter what, would not stop I grantee you would be pissed and not just "move on".

"In this game, no matter what your teammates are doing, there is never a valid excuse for YOU to be toxic."
What a load of bull. Try doing it yourself I guarantee you can't.

Who defines toxicity the players or the mods? Tribunal system says players do, therefore if the players in his match all agree that suggesting to report him is not toxic then there is no problem with him doing so.

PrivateBaldric

10-04-2014

Quote:
dota isbettter r:
According to you there is no reason to be toxic because your not the one actually playing the match. If someone cursed at you and was deliberately trying to annoy you and no matter what, would not stop I grantee you would be pissed and not just "move on".

Who defines toxicity the players or the mods? Tribunal system says players do, therefore if the players in his match all agree that suggesting to report him is not toxic then there is no problem with him doing so.

No one is saying you can't be pissed. What you can't be is toxic. Or to clarify you can't let your pissed off attitude bleed in to the game. The second you start typing something that is toxic you are on track to be punishable.

Quote:

Considering the vast majority of players never see so much as a warning your guarantee is worthless and unfounded.

As for suggesting everyone report. To what end? The system does not work off of number of reports. Its number of games with a report regardless of how many individual reports are in it. So all suggesting everyone report does is put someone on the spot and adds to the vitriol flying around.

So while you think its ok the reality is its pointless and antagonistic.

Be as angry as you like. Everyone gets angry once in a while. What separates you from a punishment is keeping your trap shut. Its called self control. What you are advocating is the "they started it" nonsense. No one cares who started it. Don't add to it.

Or lose your account.

Shelzin

10-04-2014

Quote:
dota isbettter r:

You obviously have a problem with empathy. I do that... Not just in a LoL game either.

Quote:

I can... I do. I don't chat at all during the game.

Quote:

*blink*blink*

If you tell someone that you are going to report them, and ask others to do the same... Are you wise enough to realize they are very likely going to report you back, and then it's a hell of a lot more people defining it than are just in the game?

Do you get that? Are you stupid enough to believe that the person you are asking to be reported WON'T report you back?

Really?

Edit: You have a stupid name by the way.

Landrein

10-05-2014

Quote:

I understand how you feel, and it is very hard to keep my mouth shut, but unfortunately, this game has a tendency to punish the aggressed just as much, probably more then the aggressor. Think about how many trolls are in this game, then remember that those are the same people who are running the tribunal. Riot is trying to amend the disciplinary system to at least get rid of some of the trolls so you don't feel the need to defend yourself. But until they figure it out, its sad but true that the best way to handle it is to do nothing. At least, then, you don't have to deal with the added insult of being harassed and then punished for it.

Quote:
Quote:
I can... I do. I don't chat at all during the game.

I highly doubt it.

Quote:
If you tell someone that you are going to report them, and ask others to do the same... Are you wise enough to realize they are very likely going to report you back, and then it's a hell of a lot more people defining it than are just in the game?

Do you get that? Are you stupid enough to believe that the person you are asking to be reported WON'T report you back?

I'm wondering how calling someone stupid isn't toxic. Or do the rules of manners only apply in game. another reason to suspect that your responses in game are a little less angelic and a little more human than you let on. The truth is the disciplinary system is broken, which is why punishments against trolls are so inconsistent that even the trolls don't expect to actually be punished, while their victims are often punished for even the slightest of responses. This obviously breeds frustration which provokes even otherwise reasonable people to choose to defend themselves in chat as they don't feel the system will do so. Yes, riot understands this, and yes they are trying hard to fix it, which I appreciate, but please don't act like the frustrations of other people are unfounded or "stupid"