Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I have never understood the mentality of having to comeback from a league game.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Night of Ni

10-04-2014

Like the title says, i have never really understood the playerbases opinion on having to have to comeback from a gold deficit to win a game. ANY other sport/game I have played, or watched, or coached, I have never seen a team just "quit" the second they fall behind. Thats what competition is about isnt it? Proving you are better than your opponents?
So where did this mentality in league come from where after first blood, or first dragon fight loss, or hell even being down an inhib come from, where people just want to give up so easily? Can someone please try and help me understand?
I have an example of this with a game i JUST played, although this subject has been on my mind quite a bit. Here it is: http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1568442724/39052586

Was this game hard to win? You bet your ****ing ass. But was it worth the effort? Omfg yes. It felt SO good coming back from this and taking a victory after a 10K GOLD LEAD by the other team. Just stop raging, focus on YOUR game-play, and start winning games guys. Its really not complicated. I feel you guys get so god damn emotional about one loss, you lose your sight on how to become a better player and just blame others/give up. Just please try and focus on YOUR gameplay and not give up after one stinking team fight.

CaesarFlickerman

10-04-2014

I'll tell you what it is.

While that above game may have been a good feeling, I promise you that is a one-off instance. Most of the time, if you're getting **** stomped in the beginning and middle of game, you'll probably get stomped in the end. Yes, it is completely possible to turn things around and capitalize on mistakes, but trusting (stranger, this is always forgotten in professional teamwork comparisons)teammates who put you in compromising positions along with the morale of the team combined with probably having been through that grief before makes people just want to mercy kill it and move on.

Simple as that.

A Night of Ni

10-04-2014

Quote:
CaesarFlickerman:
I'll tell you what it is.

While that above game may have been a good feeling, I promise you that is a one-off instance. Most of the time, if you're getting **** stomped in the beginning and middle of game, you'll probably get stomped in the end. Yes, it is completely possible to turn things around and capitalize on mistakes, but trusting (stranger, this is always forgotten in professional teamwork comparisons)teammates who put you in compromising positions along with the morale of the team combined with probably having been through that grief before makes people just want to mercy kill it and move on.

Simple as that.

You have the EXACT thought that i just described. We were down 10K. They WERE stomping us. look at how slow we progressed at closing the gold gap. Just get that "they are stomping us, its not fun" **** out of your head for whatever reason you have it there in the first place. Its a competition. Work to get to where you want to be, it doesnt come free.

Cya In Tribunal

10-04-2014

Uh because in football if I'm down 14-0 the opposing team doesn't get to spend it's 14-0 lead on bigger pads or more steroids to make them stomp me harder? How in the butt**** is your analogy at ALL relevant?

Snowballing is not a thing in real life. It is a thing in video games. Games are lost early and mid because of SNOWBALLING, not because of quitting. You're an idiot, and nobody gives a **** about your tryhard thread.

Cynicatt

Recruiter

10-04-2014

The games that are the most fun are always the ones where you make an amazing comeback. And those are always the games where everyone(even the enemy team) says the game was fun.
I don't have fun stomping the enemy team, and it's not fun to be stomped either, so why people give up and get purposefully stomped is beyond me.

Zyras Honey Pot

10-04-2014

When the other team in real sports get ahead they don't get bonuses that allow them to get even more ahead. Like if the San Antonio Spurs are up by 20 points against some other NBA team they don't get to put another guy on the court.

In League when you get ahead, you get advantages that allow you to get even more ahead.

A Night of Ni

10-04-2014

Quote:
Zyras Honey Pot:
When the other team in real sports get ahead they don't get bonuses that allow them to get even more ahead. Like if the San Antonio Spurs are up by 20 points against some other NBA team they don't get to put another guy on the court.

In League when you get ahead, you get advantages that allow you to get even more ahead.

So why do games last longer after first blood? Why not just end it after all first outer turrets are gone? Just because you have a disadvantage doesnt mean you are out of the game. Do you think teams just forfeit if their star goalie was out on an injury? No. They suck it up and play accordingly. Maybe that means they focus all their efforts on defense so the goalie doesnt have to face as many shots, or that means they ramp up their offense so the ball/puck/whatever isnt in the defensive zone for a long time. The "we are behind, we should give up/lose this game is the most ass backwards thinking in a game or sport. You have to adapt and play accordingly when behind. Buy more money on wards, pick someone off. Wait for them to dive you or land a blitz grab on their adc. There is so much to do to comeback from a game, but with everyone thinking the game is already over no one ever tries to capitalize on that and they just top caring.

Nickie

10-04-2014

you know why? because maybe you have a team full of low IQ idiots. Maybe thats the reason youre losing in the first place. Do you think your teams IQ is going to suddenly raise mid game? No its going to remain ******, thats why you give up.

Ophelmark

10-04-2014

Quote:
A Night of Ni:
Like the title says, i have never really understood the playerbases opinion on having to have to comeback from a gold deficit to win a game. ANY other sport/game I have played, or watched, or coached, I have never seen a team just "quit" the second they fall behind. Thats what competition is about isnt it? Proving you are better than your opponents?
So where did this mentality in league come from where after first blood, or first dragon fight loss, or hell even being down an inhib come from, where people just want to give up so easily? Can someone please try and help me understand?
I have an example of this with a game i JUST played, although this subject has been on my mind quite a bit. Here it is: http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1568442724/39052586

Was this game hard to win? You bet your ****ing ass. But was it worth the effort? Omfg yes. It felt SO good coming back from this and taking a victory after a 10K GOLD LEAD by the other team. Just stop raging, focus on YOUR game-play, and start winning games guys. Its really not complicated. I feel you guys get so god damn emotional about one loss, you lose your sight on how to become a better player and just blame others/give up. Just please try and focus on YOUR gameplay and not give up after one stinking team fight.

Like the Caesar guy said.Like you i had games where either me or other lanes get stomped and made comebacks but for that your whole team has to be focused.And well most homies crack after the first thing in the game goes wrong and start blaming each other.

Daedalus871

10-04-2014

This one game, my team was down by 18k gold. We managed to pull our heads out of our asses and comeback for the win.