Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Executioner's Calling and Atma's Impaler

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

10-04-2014

I have a question. When do I buy these items? And should I be thinking about buying these at all?

KMannnnn1

10-04-2014

Atma's impaler is pretty much only useful on a late game garen or sion, once you already have a ton of health stacked. Still probably not the best pickup though.

Executioners calling...I hesitate to say never, but there are legitimately next no no situations where the grievous wounds are worth not having stats.

10-04-2014

Okay thank you

Big Dirty Deuce

10-04-2014

very situational items. the only time I'd get that executioner calling is because you didn't have ignite to kill mundo or against aatrox. other than that not really worth getting. the atma is only good on garen really it helps peel with his spin as well

67chrome

10-04-2014

Quote:
KMannnnn1:
Atma's impaler is pretty much only useful on a late game garen or sion, once you already have a ton of health stacked. Still probably not the best pickup though.

Executioners calling...I hesitate to say never, but there are legitimately next no no situations where the grievous wounds are worth not having stats.

Basically this. To expand on it:

Atma's is actually ok on a wide range of bruisers, they all auto-attack a fair deal and make use of the crit - many with monster AD steroids - but it's such a late game item you'll hardly run into the situation it's really worth picking up.
The average LoL game only lasts ~33 minutes and sees 11,000 gold per player, or 3 major items. Atma's is more of a 45 minutes in, 15,000 gold per player, 4th major item kind of deal. SO you'll generally never see it.

-------

And Ex Calling is pretty awful. If you didn't run Ignite, your mid-lane can't get Nomicon, and you're having issue with rival sustain - getting sustain yourself in life steal, spell vamp, or something like tear/chalice to just use your own sustain skills or poke your opponent to death are probably better ideas anyways. If it's a Mundo or Swain - CC in something like Cutlass, Kingblade, Mallet, Rylie's, or Twin Shadows is probably a better idea. If it's an Aatrox - try Thornmail. Even going for AoE clear to force your opponent to deal with minions, or match the push power of a sustain beast like Mordekaiser, is probably a better idea, grabbing something like Shiv or Tiamat.
It's AA requirment and non-existent duration make Calling 100% useless against in-lane heals via champions like Sona, Raka, Janna, Nami, Kayle, Gangplank, Tryndamere, and Mundo. The AA requirement and non-existant duration also make it pretty awful against durable champions like Mundo, Swain, and tanktrox. Focusing those guys instead of their teammates is generally sub-optimal.

Think the only time I got calling and felt good about it, at least in it's current incarnation, was playing Garen vs. team mega-derp sustain (Raka, Nami, Sona, Nidalee, Taric) in ARAM. Was playing litterally the only bruiser that scales damage with critical strikes, and the 5v5 fights meant diving on someone's face that was going to try to heal after the silence wore off. Lost that game in style.

Ex Calling in season 2 was as legit as gentleman bears wearing top hats and monocles though. You could stack 2 and wind up with 30% crit and 36% life steal, for less gold than a Bloodthirster, and the grievous wounds was an 8 second duration active you could just tag Mundo with on a drive by.
You could also rush 2 after a Brutalizer and proceed to grape things with the mega-AD/AS steroids on champions like Yi, Fiora, and Xin'Zhao making crit and life steal worthwhile right out of the gate. Good times.

NeoScout

10-04-2014

Atmas is good with health, buy it on Garen, bruiser gangplank, old sion,