Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why dont we get loss prevention for afk's?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

vontar

10-04-2014

I'm silver five, working hard to get higher, playing support. Start a queue, everything's great. Begin game, 1:55, adc not leashing, still at platform. Wait, no jungler either? Jg AND adc both d/c at 2 minutes. Loss at 15 minutes. No loss prevention. Why, why would a 3v5 not get loss prevention? What did I do wrong that makes me lose LP?

Naelarstrasz

10-04-2014

It would be noble intent to allow loss prevention for AFK's, however, toxics would get power.

Losing? Harass someone into quitting.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

10-04-2014

You didn't do anything wrong. It's just that most of the "solutions" cause more problems than they fix.

TheRikari

10-04-2014

Quote:
Naelarstrasz:
It would be noble intent to allow loss prevention for AFK's, however, toxics would get power.

Losing? Harass someone into quitting.

but the mute button exists

Mars Ragnarok

10-04-2014

Quote:
TheRikari:
but the mute button exists

It sure does, but that doesn't stop people from being toxic.

TaisisKitty

10-05-2014

People should not be punished for having an afk on their team or many afks rather. your logic that "punishing afks in ranked/giveing loss prevent when 3 out of 5 people afk will cause more harm then good" is laughable. I lose more and more respect for this board every time i come here. why does this place even exist when every person who brings up a good point is flamed and told to be silent?

Are we not suppose to be looking for solutions here, if not why does this board even exist?

Jubbinaut

Recruiter

10-05-2014

Quote:
TaisisKitty:
People should not be punished for having an afk on their team or many afks rather. your logic that "punishing afks in ranked/giveing loss prevent when 3 out of 5 people afk will cause more harm then good" is laughable.

Some information:

Leaverbuster is an automated system designed to detect all forms of disconnection, afking, and idling. It issues bans fairly rapidly once players cross the threshold of the acceptable leaves-to-games ratio, and can eventually lead to permabans.

Leaverbuster was recently (or will soon be) tuned to be somewhat less lenient.

Leaverbuster considers Ranked leaves more harshly than any other, with those counting for twice what leaves in any other format do towards bans.

In short: Leavers get banned. None of the regulars here would ever claim that they shouldn't be. Nor have they.

However, adjusting LP for the players left in a game is problematic. Either both teams must be adjusted (which is unfair to the team that is stuck gaining less LP than they should because of something they had no control over), or LP inflation leads to an artificial raising of rank for every player. This is discounting the potential for abuse (duo-queue with a trash smurf friend who disconnects every time it looks like you're going to lose; abuse, berate, belittle, and generally harass some random player into leaving as soon as it looks like you'r going to lose).

There is some good news on that front. They're working on a system to simply cancel and requeue games where someone doesn't connect or disconnects for the first x amount of time (I assume 5 minutes). Additionally, there's the statistical view of Leavers, which indicates that over time, players tend to be unaffected by them. That is, so long as Player A leaves fewer games than the average, he's statistically more likely to play against leavers than he is to play with them.

Buff0815

10-05-2014

Quote:
Why, why would a 3v5 not get loss prevention? What did I do wrong that makes me lose LP?

Loss prevention is for a problem on Riot's end with their servers.

Quote:
There is some good news on that front. They're working on a system to simply cancel and requeue games where someone doesn't connect or disconnects for the first x amount of time (I assume 5 minutes). Additionally, there's the statistical view of Leavers, which indicates that over time, players tend to be unaffected by them. That is, so long as Player A leaves fewer games than the average, he's statistically more likely to play against leavers than he is to play with them.

So why do I still get stuck with leavers? Believe me, I'm all for harsher punishment (see my post http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4919920)

Jubbinaut

Recruiter

10-05-2014

Quote:
Buff0815:
So why do I still get stuck with leavers? Believe me, I'm all for harsher punishment (see my post http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4919920)

Most likely a combination of lack of awareness (it's not always evident when a player leaves on the opposing team) and negativity bias (the tendency towards remembering the bad things that happen more than the good things).

Or, to put it more plainly, you're not seeing the leavers on the other team, and when you do see them, you aren't remembering them as well or clearly as you do the ones on your own team.

There's also the oddball chance that you're a statistical outlier on the "always on my side" part of the bell curve. It's not likely, but I suppose it should be mentioned, as it is possible.