Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So I found out why I was banned for 12 days.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UltimaGalaxy

10-04-2014

Toxicity breeds toxicity. When you react poorly to another player, instead of having to deal with one jerk ruining the game, they have to deal with the jerk plus the guy yelling at him. Retaliation is never okay, as it can only make the situation worse, never better.

Additionally, the context of your logs are meaningless. You're the one being judged, not your team.

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Quote:
Kaowru:
Continuing

26:11] Kaowru: Learn to play*
[26:12] Kaowru: period
[26:26] Kaowru: Blitz, people?
[26:30] Kaowru: He needs to learn to deal?
[26:33] Kaowru: he was *** talking us all game
[26:45] Kaowru: Legit all i said before this whole ordeal was "HELP ME TOP PLEASE"
[26:52] Kaowru: and even so, i still managed to take my advantage back
[26:56] Kaowru: both ways?
[27:01] Kaowru: what a sanctimonious *** you are.
[27:14] Kaowru: Cuz unlike him, im not screwing the unit
[27:33] Kaowru: and you have been filling our game with mediocre support play
[27:51] Kaowru: Ive been last pick
[27:57] Kaowru: still did legions better than you.
[28:03] Kaowru: idunno
[28:08] Kaowru: guess im flooding your chat
[28:16] Kaowru: Since u wanna take that dbags side
[28:55] Kaowru: So obvious...
[29:18] Kaowru: Tbh ive grown sick of u
[29:26] Kaowru: what r u talking about? Ur totally taking his side
[29:33] Kaowru: u have been defending his actions all game

Now, you should keep in mind? Riot did not involve the context of anybody else's speech patterns or speech except me. They pretty much just threw everything I said in my face like it was poison. Bro, its like throwing a spit wad, it's annoying to have it thrown in my face. But its as if Westburo Baptist Church has crumpled a piece of the bible up and spit it at me through a straw because they think I'm a homosexual.

I mean, seriously. I can understand this kind of ban if I was actually the kind of toxic Wad I was actually badmouthing in the context of what I posted above.

That J4? HE went afk, intentionally fed the enemy team a few kills, played recklessly and cursed at us for sucking and blatantly blamed us for his failures to perform.

He was nearly the epitome of a toxic player, only thing stopping him from being an epitome was a death threat, homophobia or racism, but he was still a massive jerk.

And yet, because I was fed up with him and his rudeness, I'm being banned? Jesus, this makes about as much sense as America's justice system.

Here's the deal, make a smurf; use that account when you desire to use the in-game chat, and when you play on your main, either mute or do not respond to anyone regardless of the circumstance, if you really want to avoid any consequences on your account consisting of most value.

The majority of the people who roam these forums are more likely to side with Riot as opposed to you as the consumer, they will atempt to use a typical and generic defense tactic similar to: "League of Legends is Riot's intellectual property, and as such; they are able to do whatever they see fit with it's consumer-base", basically; you are an expendable piece of trash in the eyes of most of these people, and to Riot; so are they.

People can only empathize with your case once they've been banned for a similar matter, and are usually less likely to sympathize with your cause if they are strong advocates for Riot games, and as you have said yourself; have a high superiority complex in terms of their "morality", or arbitrary standards of what is acceptable(in which case Riot's perspective is all that matters).

Before riot arose to become proportional to a few modern-day conglomerates(i.e. Microsoft, Google, Apple), they wouldn't particularly ban any one individual for quote, "toxicity", unless they individual scenario was severe to the point you would be eld to believe that individual had a severe psychological issue. Anyways, with such a large playerbase, Riot no longer needs as many consumers to maintain a decent profit from their content, so therefore; their playerbase has become expendable, and no longer does the average player with reasonable inquiries on quite a few circumstances in the community and amongst the Riot Devs, actually matter as much, as they are usually emt by aggression and overall vitreal from the rest of the community, and publicly humiliated by the Mods/Admins themselves.

Riot needs to understand, that without the consumer; without your player-base, your intellectual property is subjective, your intellectual property has no value, and many of today's corporations need such a refresher as well, to "keep them in-check".

EDIT: Downvotes, but no official responses; figures...

Jubbinaut

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Quote:
shadowmark2013:
you are an expendable piece of trash in the eyes of most of these people, and to Riot; so are they.

This is a rather unfair and unrealistic generalization. My goal, and I assume the other regulars here share it, is to help keep players from running afoul of the behavioral systems again. Attempting to help people learn to avoid further problems doesn't sound remotely like viewing them as "expendable" to me.

Quote:
People can only empathize with your case once they've been banned for a similar matter

I find this unreasonable as well. I sympathize strongly with players who have been banned, particularly those who have done so by retaliating. It's an extremely understandable position to be in, and one I might have found myself in once upon a time. That does not mean that I believe that toxic retaliation is or should be acceptable, only that I can fully understand how a player could be baited into it, and how much that sucks.

As such, my goal with such posters is to help them learn to avoid that.

Quote:
Anyways, with such a large playerbase, Riot no longer needs as many consumers to maintain a decent profit from their content, so therefore; their playerbase has become expendable

Actually, it's not unreasonable to state that, in order to make profit, Riot needs as many players as possible (http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/11/5991115/league-of-legends-riot-monetization). The gist of the article I linked (at least the relevant part) is that Riot has a 3.5% conversion rate of downloads to paying customers. Their entire business model is based upon the size of their player-base.

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Quote:
Actually, it's not unreasonable to state that, in order to make profit, Riot needs as many players as possible (http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/11/5991115/league-of-legends-riot-monetization). The gist of the article I linked (at least the relevant part) is that Riot has a 3.5% conversion rate of downloads to paying customers. Their entire business model is based upon the size of their player-base.

Studies show, that the majority of free-to-play games, with premium content purchasable with currency (i.e. Champions and skins) trun a much larger profit as opposed to games that require you to pay an initial fee in order to play them, so I consider that data to be... well, more or less insignificant.

I'd have to say, that Riot utilized this information to their own advantage to maximize profits, as most corporations do, even so if only approximately 3.5% of League of Legends players paid for content, and there are about 27 million individuals or person who play LoL, estimating that those customers had invested 50-200$ total in the game, would still turn a profit of approximately $94,500,000 annually, most likely their profit at the end of every MONTH. Quite a bit of money now; isn't it? This is only the conservative estimate as well.

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Quote:
Jubbinaut:

I find this unreasonable as well. I sympathize strongly with players who have been banned, particularly those who have done so by retaliating. It's an extremely understandable position to be in, and one I might have found myself in once upon a time. That does not mean that I believe that toxic retaliation is or should be acceptable, only that I can fully understand how a player could be baited into it, and how much that sucks.

As such, my goal with such posters is to help them learn to avoid that.

Well, I could say that I found the majority of what you had said in that sentence unreasonable as well, about 90% of it actually. Anyways, your case; is an isolated and rather rare occurance by anyone's standards, you as a person, have the ability to both sympathize and empathize with another's short-comings, or furstrations, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the same applies to the vast majority of the League of Legends community, in-fact... based off what I've seen so far, I'd have to say the community is, well, contrary to your statement; or, quite the opposite of what you have said.

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Quote:
Jubbinaut:
This is a rather unfair and unrealistic generalization. My goal, and I assume the other regulars here share it, is to help keep players from running afoul of the behavioral systems again. Attempting to help people learn to avoid further problems doesn't sound remotely like viewing them as "expendable" to me.

Both unfair and unrealistic? I am not entirely certain of that, as from what I've seen, people would prefer to criticize an individual and make such generalizations in-terms of a ban or chat restriction, that an individual is socially inept, unable to functions; and has consistent behavioral issues (In some cases this may be true), I believe you are being a little too generous in-terms of how an individual and staff member would actually react to anothers frustrations in such a situation as this; and once more are usually greeted by rather aggressive and snappy responses, instantly jumping to conclusions and calculating the worth/value of this individual, while also relentlessly chewing away at their resolve until they aren't capable of withstanding additional criticism.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Again, I didn't downvote you.

Quote:
shadowmark2013:
The majority of the people who roam these forums are more likely to side with Riot as opposed to you as the consumer, they will atempt to use a typical and generic defense tactic similar to: "League of Legends is Riot's intellectual property, and as such; they are able to do whatever they see fit with it's consumer-base"

How dare we use a logical and reasonable basis for argument? Yes, League is Riot's IP, but they can't just trash the property for no good reason. They moderate the community because they believe it's best for their bottom line.

Quote:
, basically; you are an expendable piece of trash in the eyes of most of these people, and to Riot; so are they.

This is a ridiculous and insulting way to portray us. No one is saying that you're trash. We're saying we disagree with your philosophy. Have you considered that you might receive fewer downvotes if you could manage to be less rude?

Quote:
People can only empathize with your case once they've been banned for a similar matter,

I do empathize with the frustration that people feel when they are suspended. That doesn't mean that I feel that the punishment was unwarranted.

Quote:
and are usually less likely to sympathize with your cause if they are strong advocates for Riot games,

Yes, it such an awful thing for me to largely agree with Riot's policies. The shame! Let me ask you this, if it's okay for you to effectively label us "fanbois" is it okay for me to label you "a rebel without a clue"?

Quote:
and as you have said yourself; have a high superiority complex in terms of their "morality", or arbitrary standards of what is acceptable(in which case Riot's perspective is all that matters).

I think you mean ethics, but that's an easy mistake to make. "Morals" are personal rules of conduct while "social mores" are synonymous with "ethics", which refer to the rules of a society or community. So, yes, I believe that Riot has the right to set the rules on their property. If people don't like those rules, they can always go elsewhere. I hear Call of Duty has an open and friendly community.

Quote:
Before riot arose to become proportional to a few modern-day conglomerates(i.e. Microsoft, Google, Apple),

A "conglomerate" is an aggregation of companies. I believe you mean monopolies or near-monopolies.

Quote:
they wouldn't particularly ban any one individual for quote, "toxicity", unless they individual scenario was severe to the point you would be eld to believe that individual had a severe psychological issue.

Well, that's a silly assertion to make. Not only do you lack source material, but none of those companies were directly responsible for managing a large online gaming community. You would be better off comparing Riot to Valve or Blizzard.

Even if you do, however, you can't make the argument that there is some industry standard that Riot is violating. The truth is, Riot is doing cutting-edge research in the psychology of community management. No one else is publishing (and inspiring)

Quote:
Anyways, with such a large playerbase, Riot no longer needs as many consumers to maintain a decent profit from their content, so therefore; their playerbase has become expendable,

This segment reveals your ignorance. Riot has one of the lowest pay-for rates among F2P games. It's only about 3% of the player base. They get some of their income from elsewhere, but they rely on being as popular as possible.

Quote:
and no longer does the average player with reasonable inquiries on quite a few circumstances in the community and amongst the Riot Devs, actually matter as much, as they are usually emt by aggression and overall vitreal from the rest of the community, and publicly humiliated by the Mods/Admins themselves.

I can't even...

Quote:
Riot needs to understand, that without the consumer; without your player-base, your intellectual property is subjective, your intellectual property has no value, and many of today's corporations need such a refresher as well, to "keep them in-check".

I guess Forbes doesn't know what they're talking about (http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/27/riots-league-of-legends-reveals-astonishing-27-million-daily-players-67-million-monthly/).

Ulanopo

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Quote:
shadowmark2013:
Studies show, that the majority of free-to-play games, with premium content purchasable with currency (i.e. Champions and skins) trun a much larger profit as opposed to games that require you to pay an initial fee in order to play them, so I consider that data to be... well, more or less insignificant.

Funny, I read that as "shadowmark2013 is going to dismiss facts that he doesn't understand."

Quote:
I'd have to say, that Riot utilized this information to their own advantage to maximize profits, as most corporations do, even so if only approximately 3.5% of League of Legends players paid for content, and there are about 27 million individuals or person who play LoL, estimating that those customers had invested 50-200$ total in the game, would still tur a profit of approximately $94,500,000 annually, most likely their profit at the end of every MONTH. Quite a bit of money now; isn't it? This is only the conservative estimate as well.

Yes, Riot makes a lot of money. Isn't that an argument in favor of their corporate philosophies? I mean, they must be doing something right.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Quote:
people would prefer to criticize an individual and make such generalizations in-terms of a ban or chat restriction, that an individual is socially inept, unable to functions; and has consistent behavioral issues (In some cases this may be true),

Yes, much as I would assume that someone who has a lot of speeding tickets likes to drive fast.

Where you're wrong is that we're not trying to be cruel. We're attempting to help them keep their account.

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-04-2014

Quote:
Ulanopo:
Yes, much as I would assume that someone who has a lot of speeding tickets likes to drive fast.

Where you're wrong is that we're not trying to be cruel. We're attempting to help them keep their account.

I am certain that crosses an individuals mind when they're chastising the accused.