Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

ATTN: Toxic Player Segregation

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A F

10-03-2014

Welcome to Toxicity Rating System!

Tired of your teammates fighting you more than they are fighting the enemy?!?

Rating goes from 1 - 10. ONE: Charming as Ahri. TEN: Toxic as Kog'man!

Now when you go to queue, you will be paired with players close to you on the toxicity scale! If you're an outstanding and friendly ONE, you can be sure you won't be paired with a Cruel Raging TEN!

If you like to verbally abuse and harass your teammates, you can feel right at home being paired with others with a taste for being distasteful!

Those peaceful souls who love getting to fight along side their teammates no matter how tough the odds,
Welcome to your new homeland!
The only time you will experience verbal abuse now is if there are not enough players close to your toxicity level. Your efforts encouraging your teammates to do their best will be rewarded by being matched with other players also committed to uplifting their League of Legends Community!

Thank you for reading! If you have any other ideas on how a Toxicity Rating System might work please share! I'd love to hear your ideas!

P.S. We are responsible for the way this community conducts itself. Our interactions are important because the quality of our behavior in each individual experience is all part of the whole collective experience. The more positive exchanges we have with one another the higher we raise the standard. <3

EonFluffyButt

10-03-2014

Thanks this is brilliant. i cant wait to see it in place and working ^^

themaddscientist

10-03-2014

The idea you have here is a variant on the idea of Prisoner's Island. This idea has come up before, and this is our primary response from our player-created knowledge base.

Quote:
Ulanopo:
"Why can't we put toxic players in a separate queue so that I don't have to deal with them?" (Prisoner's Island)

... because "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Or if you prefer a less flippant answer:

[1] It has been considered and rejected by Riot: (link (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=24229104#post24229104))

[2] It bifurcates ranked play.
This would definitely not be usable in Ranked because it would split the ladder into two demographics and no longer be about the best players.
[3] It creates a cesspit.
In Normal Modes... there's a lot of potential discussion points that are just difficult to predict. For example, we know that toxic players tend to experience more toxicity because their teammates or opponents reciprocate their toxicity--that means on Prisoner's Island, the average game is going to be horrendously toxic to the point that the players might just quit (or create smurfs and wreck havoc on low level players).
[4] It creates potentially horrible experiences for new players (and non-toxic players, as well).

Supposedly, as part of an improved Leaverbuster, they will be able to pair people who frequently disconnect more than they should with each other, but the problem is that leaving, unlike toxicity, is a lot more binary. You either leave, you spend too much time idle performing "useless actions" (moving around the fountain to try and dodge leaverbuster doesn't work), but what is considered toxic, and how severe something is varies on a player-by-player basis. Should the guy who is moderately toxic, throwing out a few choice words here and there, be paired with someone who uses racist language? Where would the line be drawn separating horrendously toxic with those who are "less" toxic? Even if you could draw a line, would seeing all of these other people raging halt any possible desire to reform because "everyone else is doing it?" This is all assuming that we obfuscate what your "rank" is, and if that were available, then trolls could use it to try and skirt the potential edges for punishment. This is also the reason why we are never going to know how many times we were reported or by who, simply so that you can't game the system.

Landrein

10-05-2014

Quote:
Welcome to Toxicity Rating System!

I like your way of thinking and despite the flippant answer about it (i really don't care if trolls quit the game), I also believe it would work. Though what if you could have the option to not be qued with someone for the next couple months or so, some ban list. The more toxic players would see longer ques as the match maker would have a harder time matching them with people that haven't banned them. but it would be permanent if they changed their behavior as the banlists wore off. Honestly, I think there are problems with that as well.

However, the problem, as I see it, is that there is very little sense of community or place in it. Ad on to that, in games, the community feels like a single monolithic troll. In other words, there seems no reason to play nice because the other players are "bad people" who are against you. And you have no positive reason to be good. There is no reputation you can build or place in the community you can create by being good in the games. So the solution is to create a system where you can know and invest in the community through the game. Though I have no earthly idea how you would do that.

A F

10-06-2014

Quote:
Landrein:
However, the problem, as I see it, is that there is very little sense of community or place in it. Ad on to that, in games, the community feels like a single monolithic troll. In other words, there seems no reason to play nice because the other players are "bad people" who are against you. And you have no positive reason to be good. There is no reputation you can build or place in the community you can create by being good in the games. So the solution is to create a system where you can know and invest in the community through the game.

This is indeed what seems to be a major factor in the mentality of toxic players and trolls. Isn't the honor system a form of reputation? You show up with a little green ribbon on your name plate, and people sometimes comment on how rarely they see it.

@themaddscientist Thank you for your incites and references! What possible solutions are there for encouraging better behavior from players? It's a human behavior issue, so we are in the realm of motivating people to be more empathetic and understanding.

Community building is a great idea! Finding a way for players to bond in ways that will strengthen our support for one another may be beneficial.

IDEA: What if there was a mentor mode where experienced players could take a moment to play with less experienced players and the game would be about teaching the fresh players about the different elements and priorities of a game in real time. I wouldn't play it all the time, maybe one a day or every couple of days, but it would give players the option of taking on the mentality of being there for the sake of someone else.

Other Idea:
-Better incentives for ribbon baring honor players: Maybe a percentage discount in the store.