Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How do I carry ELO Hell?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xXxsharkbladexXx

10-03-2014

60 to 80% of the time in ranked games I get extremely bad players. They don't know the fundamentals, etc. Sure, I give up kills maybe a few times for not thinking and bad decision making, but these guys are plain out BAD. I try to tell them helpful tips like stay near tower and stuff, but they still die and refuse to listen to my advice. I'm calm and not mean to them, but UGH. Once someone on the enemy team has 10 to 16 kills, my whole team just falls apart and we can't do anything. Is there a way to carry ELO hell or avoid terrible players?

xXxsharkbladexXx

10-03-2014

By the way, I main jungle.

Yknot

10-03-2014

You can't and you won't.

As false as this may be, when I get subpar players on my team I tend to write that game off as "unwinnable". I mean if they swapped their roles around, would they play any better? I mean yeah maybe a bit, but their complete lack of game sense probably carries over to any role they play. So don't sweat it.

I also tell my self that "I'm on my way up and they are on their way down the ladder". Yeah you lost the match, but you're just passing them on the train really.

Those are just some mental things that can help me. I know it can seem hopeless at times, but you really can only change yourself and how you play.

How do you do that you may ask? Well you have to play your own game. Make sure that you are in fact doing well. You don't have to be owning, you don't have to have 5 kills 0 deaths by 3 mins, just be doing well. Once you get that part of YOUR game down, then you can focus on how to help your team.

So the next part is how you technically "carry games". You have to spread the love so they can carry themselves. So make sure you are at every skirmish. Now you don't have to be at EVERY SINGLE ONE, but just try to be there so that you don't lose farm or whatever and it's only a plus for you to be there. I like to say "be there or be square". You must be at all of the skirmishes and objectives and teamfights because you must correct your teammates mistakes before they happen. It will prevent them from slipping behind and keep morale up. You must be the deciding factor in the fight. You're team will always fight. No matter what. Even if they shouldn't. It's just how dumb they are. So you gotta be there. You're in a good spot because you're jungle. So you can be there and not lose much at all.

I'd suggest keeping your attention towards the bot and mid lane. The bottom half of the map. This is because dragon is there and 2/5s of your team. In the long run your helping more of your team. Sorry top lane :/

When it comes to fixing mistakes before they happen, an example is if someone is split pushing on your team and won't group, go join that ****tard. 5 people behind one bad plan is better than 3 behind the right plan and the other two behind the wrong plan. I'd advise against split pushing ever. Your team will always get caught and lose the 4v5. They won't know how to pressure or stall properly. It's honestly a lost cause.

I'm only gold. I may not be right, but this stuff works for me. It helps me and hopefully it can help you. I know your pain and can only wish you the best of luck. I'd also recommend dodging clearly toxic or bad games in champ select. It will save you time, elo, and LP. 30 mins and loss of ELO and 12 LP or 5 mins and loss of just 3 LP? you do the math lol

xXxsharkbladexXx

10-03-2014

Thank you for the great advice man. I'll use it

xXxsharkbladexXx

10-03-2014

Also, what if I'm unable to play jungle. What do I do then? I can play every role, but jungle is pretty much the only one I can carry with besides adc. and if someone takes adc well..... yah.

TMIT

10-06-2014

"ELO hell" only exists insofar as normal distributions exist. You have to be markedly above average to reach silver...in other words the upper territories of bronze are actually above average. From what I can tell reading on the forums/hearing people talk, there is a big dissonance between the perception of bronze-silver-gold-plat-diamond and reality. IMO, the closest thing to reality "ELO hell" has is the difference between a person's perception of the league distributions and the actual distribution...in other words that being exactly average is still bronze and that it's not necessarily a bad thing to be bronze unless you REALLY care about becoming a strong player (as opposed to just finding people you enjoy playing with and running games with them).

From a statistical probability standpoint, if you have just one AFK/troll/leaver in every game, unless you are one yourself your team has a ~56% chance to be the one that doesn't get that guy. Over time, this should equate to a 56% win ratio if you're average within your current league/tier (though in reality, either side can have multiple or none, on average, if you're never one then you will win more on probability alone.

Of course, you need a lot of games for that to pan out for certain, since 56% is not a coin flip but not too far. That is, of course, unless you're *far* beyond your current league, which is rare unless the player on the account changes or receives a sudden spike in ability.

In the theoretical case of a platinum-tier player in bronze IV or something, you'd want to play in a manner that is very disruptive to the opponents so that more of the enemy team focuses on you. Win lane hard + take turret and roam, shove + roam, camp their weak player as the jungler, nail the opposing lane with kill supports like Morgana, whatever. If you're MUCH better than them then you'll be able to win lane hard often, disrupt the enemy team to the point of influencing multiple lanes, and control objectives. Such players tend to get a ton of discretionary influence too, so if you are 8-0 or you just helped the ADC get 4 kills as a support and took the turret, or want to take dragon after ganking bottom lane, even bronze players will often listen. Somewhat ironically, I think the hardest role to carry with at very low would be ADC, because that role is supposed to farm early and thus would struggle to be as disruptive, but you can still win bottom lane pretty hard with a lot of ADC picks.

However, most people are much closer to their expected ELO and thus you're better off focusing on tamping down on mistakes that lead to death and objective control. Buy a ward or two each back and move carefully if you don't see the other team on the minimap because there's a good chance they're either setting up on you somewhere or coming to gank someone. Even bad teams are dangerous when you can't see them. It is for that reason that objectives in the river exist; so that vision, team movement, and initiates win the game. Do your best to discourage your team from blind pushing their tier 2 mid turret if possible. They can trivially ward their own jungle and the turret limits your team's movement. It's a bad place to be unless your sieging/poke come is just miles ahead.