Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Widespread 14 day bans

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-03-2014

Quote:
powerbats:
While I agree the info's been lacking this really caught riot unawares so to speak since Tribunal was working fine and then all of a sudden it stopped creating cases as fast as it was supposed to so instead of say it doing (wag example here) building 10k cases a day it started doing less and less each day so it got down to where it might only be pumping out 100 case a a day to review.

When Riot tried to fix the problem they realized it was going to be a huge undertaking and wasn't really fixable instead they decided to bring Tribunal down while they worked to bring the newer Tribunal which was still in development out. The new afk/LeaverBuster bans as well as the intentional feeding bans and the newer ranked punishments along with the new bans were all supposed to be a part of how it incorporated things.

Currently they're testing things out on the pbe and then trying it live once they get bugs worked out. The newer Tribunal will be much faster so instead of it taking sometimes weeks to hand down a punishment it will happen within a day or days so warnings and time bans will go out quicker along with reform cards as well. Sadly reform cards were tied to the Tribunal algorithms and can't be auto emailed and pulled into chat logs so they only send out stuff if people ask for it.

Lyte did state that part of what's holding them back right now is that they're going to roll Tribunal out across all regions at the same time including those that didn't have it before. The issue they're having which surprised me being a tech nerd is that each different region is using different web tech to run on. So they can't use a 1 size fits all approach in getting it up.

To the latter part of your response, in terms of the "tech", you'd think they'd attempt to maintain the same hardware to ensure that everything runs smoothly, although I am not entirely sure if there can be much variation in web servers when it comes to hardware. Were they referring to the OS?

I also heard about the tribunal being down for updates as well, and that staff members were issuing bans manually and as fast as possible.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

10-03-2014

Quote:
Instead of banning players for "offensive language", and aggressive/negative mentality towards their own team-mates, riot should provide players in-game additional tools to prevent such damage from occuring; we already have the chat filters and the mute feature, that should be enough to satisfy those looking for substantial influence over whether another individual can affect them in a negative manor.

There are a couple of problems with this philosophy.

To begin with, no filter will be 100% effective. In fact, people will actively look for ways to bypass the filter.

Also, muting is a defense. If you punch me and I put on a suit of armor, that should not be license for you to continue to punch me.

Finally, by the time a player mutes someone, the damage has already been done. If people are jerks in league, a bunch of players are just going to go do something else. Riot knows this and sets their standards accordingly.

powerbats

10-03-2014

Quote:
shadowmark2013:
To the latter part of your response, in terms of the "tech", you'd think they'd attempt to maintain the same hardware to ensure that everything runs smoothly, although I am not entirely sure if there can be much variation in web servers when it comes to hardware. Were they referring to the OS?

I also heard about the tribunal being down for updates as well, and that staff members were issuing bans manually and as fast as possible.

Not sure what he was referring to but different web tech is prob os but I think they contracted out servers when they went to set things up. Some of the other regions might be using older servers and os that aren't compatible with the newer stuff. Tribunal got taken down about 5.5 months or so ago so when an account gets flagged with enough reports it triggers a Riot manual review.

Ulanopo's knowledge base has quite a bit explained with links to the Rioter quotes.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4086541

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-03-2014

Quote:
Ulanopo:
There are a couple of problems with this philosophy.

To begin with, no filter will be 100% effective. In fact, people will actively look for ways to bypass the filter.

Also, muting is a defense. If you punch me and I put on a suit of armor, that should not be license for you to continue to punch me.

Finally, by the time a player mutes someone, the damage has already been done. If people are jerks in league, a bunch of players are just going to go do something else. Riot knows this and sets their standards accordingly.

Ugh... Ok pal, whatever. Using mute to "mitigate negativity", as I had said; is basically another way of saying, it is a tool to be used in self-defense, common sense... No offense.

I came here to potentially propose new ideas and hope that Riot will assist those who are still confused as to what they were accused of doing, and what the legitimate reason/claim behind their ban actually was.

Not many people have access to your threads, thus this knowledge is inaccessible to most; I hope you don't mind if I share your posts/threads with a few others an post it around other threads as well to inform a few players as to what is going on.

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-03-2014

Quote:
powerbats:
Not sure what he was referring to but different web tech is prob os but I think they contracted out servers when they went to set things up. Some of the other regions might be using older servers and os that aren't compatible with the newer stuff. Tribunal got taken down about 5.5 months or so ago so when an account gets flagged with enough reports it triggers a Riot manual review.

Ulanopo's knowledge base has quite a bit explained with links to the Rioter quotes.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4086541

Yes, now that you mention it; I do recall a story of issues with the tribunal, at the time I wasn't really interested or involved in posting much to the forums, unless for the occasional announcemenet of champion reworks etc...

Quite a bit of info to review, did you get him to come to this thread? Haha, or was that mere coincidence?

Ulanopo

Recruiter

10-03-2014

Quote:
shadowmark2013:
Ugh... Ok pal, whatever. Using mute to "mitigate negativity", as I had said; is basically another way of saying, it is a tool to be used in self-defense, common sense... No offense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed that you were making the argument that the presence of mechanisms that allow the target to defend themselves removes the need for punishment. This is something I very much disagree with.

Ulanopo

Recruiter

10-03-2014

Quote:
shadowmark2013:
Quite a bit of info to review, did you get him to come to this thread? Haha, or was that mere coincidence?

I have something of a sinus headache from my allergies, so I'm not playing League right now. I was amusing myself with a flash game when I popped over into this forum and noticed the thread.

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-03-2014

Quote:
Ulanopo:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed that you were making the argument that the presence of mechanisms that allow the target to defend themselves removes the need for punishment. This is something I very much disagree with.

Somewhat correct, other topics in contrast or similar to death threats should be taken seriously; but simple verbal altercations involving gameplay should be disregarded, and any persistence in such an altercation would be the player's responsibility.

shadowmark2013

Recruiter

10-03-2014

It seems like no one is ever on my side in this sort of situation, I suppose my own perspective goes against public opinion...

Shelzin

10-03-2014

Quote:
shadowmark2013:
It seems like no one is ever on my side in this sort of situation, I suppose my own perspective goes against public opinion...

Don't ever let that stop you from having your own opinion, or sharing it.

And for the record... And frankly I think is good all around advice for anyone... I'm on the side I'm always on... Mine. But with that in place, you must also accept that disagreeing is not attacking. Disagreeing is not a negative thing. Otherwise it'll never work.