Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Any questions about Jesus Christ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eyro Elloyn

10-04-2014

Essentially, we call him God because he's God, not because he fits some intellectuals standard of divinity.

Ask Luxanna

10-04-2014

Quote:
Eyro Elloyn:
So no, Buddha is not sinless, because he believed that humans could become perfect in a way that didn't glorify God.

You are wrong, therefore your religion is sh~t

Ask Luxanna

10-04-2014

Quote:
Eyro Elloyn:
Essentially, we call him God because he's God, not because he fits some intellectuals standard of divinity.

You're missing the point -- Why does he deserve to be called a God? What has he done to deserve to be worshiped?

Ask Luxanna

10-04-2014

Quote:
Surakai:
that's retard atheist logic

"my fairy tale version of God isn't true so I'm going to convert to the atheist religion"

No, it's solid logic. One does not need to be atheist to not believe in God.

For example, the polytheistic religions worshiped personified embodiments of abstract concepts, these gods were NOT omnipotent, nor were they omniscient, some of them were even evil, or had bad traits.

Surakai

10-04-2014

Quote:
Ask Luxanna:
No, it's solid logic. One does not need to be atheist to not believe in God.
either you're stupid as fuk or speaking in a very nonspecific manner

Quote:
Ask Luxanna:
these gods were NOT omnipotent, nor were they omniscient, some of them were even evil, or had bad traits.

so what?

Surakai

10-04-2014

Quote:
Eyro Elloyn:
I accept that if God is all knowing and all powerful, then it was his intention for sin to enter the world and his intention for people to go to hell. And he is still good.

Why is this? Because he created everything and we were made to glorify him. He is glorified as a judge when sinners are cast to hell and he is glorified as a saviour when he forgives them.

We can't surprise God, this was his plan, to create a people who knew what it was like to be apart from God so they know he is the best option. A lot of people can't handle this because they think they're far more important than they actually are.

God loves us, yes, but we were created to glorify him, not to be served by him. So no, Buddha is not sinless, because he believed that humans could become perfect in a way that didn't glorify God.

this...

is incredibly annoying

Ask Luxanna

10-04-2014

Quote:
Surakai:
so what?

so you're an idiot

Poeta Somnium

10-04-2014

Quote:
Notalent:
Genesis is pretty widely agreed to be Allegorical and not meant to be taken literally by most biblical scholars.

You mean the one where God creates the universe? THAT book of Genesis is allegorical and not to be taken literally? That certainly puts creationists in a pickle!

I hate to break it to you honey, but the bible is allegorical cover to cover. GOD is just a metaphor. I've seen what can only be called "God" and it is at once a lot simpler and a lot more abstract than religion would have us believe. Religion has done a good job of presenting the ideas in ways our imperfect intellects can comprehend, but they fail to capture the actuality. I will explain it as best I can, but my memory has gotten really bad of late and there aren't really words in our language for a lot of these concepts.

God is neither a being nor an entity, God is not an individual sentience. "God" as you call it is the collective energy that laces the universe. The phenomena in which this collective energy interacts with itself is what drives the mechanics of life and death, the movements of celestial bodies, so on and so forth.

You have to consider it on a macroscopic cosmic scale; it has a lot to do with gravity, or at least something very similar to the concept of gravity as we understand it. We'll call it a "parallel" to gravity. Gravity's close cousin from out of state. All matter, aching, attracts all matter, right? Voila, gravity. We understand this in a fairly rudimentary way; mass is drawn towards mass, and this means that all forces between masses are equal interactions. There is no case in which one body is drawn to another without the second body inextricably being drawn to the first also.

I have seen this phenomena at work and it goes a lot deeper than simply being about mass. Imagine a tendril of light bridging every celestial body; this we can take as a visual representation of gravity at work; objects drawing on the mass of other objects. But these objects are not simply drawing on each other's mass, they are drawing on each other's energy. The energy, -- life, -- exists in a multitude of degrees from complex lifeforms down to the most basic particles of matter. Even between atoms there is this relationship. It's a massive web of light spanning between every celestial body and every being and every particle. Just as gravity has infinite range, so too does this cousin of gravity. Entire galaxies are connected by this phenomena, the tendrils of light reaching out far beyond our scope and creating still more connections. Orbits are a perfect example of this; everything orbits everything. I wish I could explain this bit better but it begins to break conventional physics, so I'm not sure how to put it into words you can understand. (That's my fault, not a slight toward your intelligence.)

What we have then is a filigree so microscopically complex it fills every cavity of the cosmos. It permeates more completely than air or water, because even the unfathomably small gaps between these atoms is filled by it. We are swimming in this energy constantly. Birth is a concentration of it, being sealed into a vessel that can contain it only briefly. Death is the breaking of the vessel, when we are diffused again into the great network, pushed and pulled by universal gravity, waiting again to be bottled in flesh. We are nothing more than collections of tachyons, each a fragment of "God."

I know this because I was able to immerse myself in it for a short time. I dipped my hand in the universal current and felt my energy be drawn into all things. I was everywhere at the same time, in every time, at once but individually. I was split infinite times, rode every orbit, and touched everything, everyone, all at once. THAT is experiencing God.

So as nice as it is put a name to it, dream up a bunch of fables and parables and moral lessons, and believe that there is a single supreme being who created everything with a snap of its fingers, it's all just metaphor for something so much more basic and sensible. We are all God. Every blade of grass and every grain of sand is God. Every particle of light is God. Every being and every atom is a distinct but equal shard of the universe, a universe that has died and been reborn since forever.

Notalent

10-04-2014

Quote:
Poeta Somnium:
You mean the one where God creates the universe? THAT book of Genesis is allegorical and not to be taken literally? That certainly puts creationists in a pickle!

I hate to break it to you honey, but the bible is allegorical cover to cover. GOD is just a metaphor. I've seen what can only be called "God" and it is at once a lot simpler and a lot more abstract than religion would have us believe. Religion has done a good job of presenting the ideas in ways our imperfect intellects can comprehend, but they fail to capture the actuality. I will explain it as best I can, but my memory has gotten really bad of late and there aren't really words in our language for a lot of these concepts.

God is neither a being nor an entity, God is not an individual sentience. "God" as you call it is the collective energy that laces the universe. The phenomena in which this collective energy interacts with itself is what drives the mechanics of life and death, the movements of celestial bodies, so on and so forth.

You have to consider it on a macroscopic cosmic scale; it has a lot to do with gravity, or at least something very similar to the concept of gravity as we understand it. We'll call it a "parallel" to gravity. Gravity's close cousin from out of state. All matter, aching, attracts all matter, right? Voila, gravity. We understand this in a fairly rudimentary way; mass is drawn towards mass, and this means that all forces between masses are equal interactions. There is no case in which one body is drawn to another without the second body inextricably being drawn to the first also.

I have seen this phenomena at work and it goes a lot deeper than simply being about mass. Imagine a tendril of light bridging every celestial body; this we can take as a visual representation of gravity at work; objects drawing on the mass of other objects. But these objects are not simply drawing on each other's mass, they are drawing on each other's energy. The energy, -- life, -- exists in a multitude of degrees from complex lifeforms down to the most basic particles of matter. Even between atoms there is this relationship. It's a massive web of light spanning between every celestial body and every being and every particle. Just as gravity has infinite range, so too does this cousin of gravity. Entire galaxies are connected by this phenomena, the tendrils of light reaching out far beyond our scope and creating still more connections. Orbits are a perfect example of this; everything orbits everything. I wish I could explain this bit better but it begins to break conventional physics, so I'm not sure how to put it into words you can understand. (That's my fault, not a slight toward your intelligence.)

What we have then is a filigree so microscopically complex it fills every cavity of the cosmos. It permeates more completely than air or water, because even the unfathomably small gaps between these atoms is filled by it. We are swimming in this energy constantly. Birth is a concentration of it, being sealed into a vessel that can contain it only briefly. Death is the breaking of the vessel, when we are diffused again into the great network, pushed and pulled by universal gravity, waiting again to be bottled in flesh. We are nothing more than collections of tachyons, each a fragment of "God."

I know this because I was able to immerse myself in it for a short time. I dipped my hand in the universal current and felt my energy be drawn into all things. I was everywhere at the same time, in every time, at once but individually. I was split infinite times, rode every orbit, and touched everything, everyone, all at once. THAT is experiencing God.

So as nice as it is put a name to it, dream up a bunch of fables and parables and moral lessons, and believe that there is a single supreme being who created everything with a snap of its fingers, it's all just metaphor for something so much more basic and sensible. We are all God. Every blade of grass and every grain of sand is God. Every particle of light is God. Every being and every atom is a distinct but equal shard of the universe, a universe that has died and been reborn since forever.

Sorry dear, I don't buy your stoned out crack dream as an explanation for the creation of the Universe.

Poeta Somnium

10-04-2014

Quote:
Notalent:
Sorry dear, I don't buy your stoned out crack dream as an explanation for the creation of the Universe.

Really what I just explained is God's permeance just as Christians believe it, I've simply stripped away all the sensational mumbo-jumbo and boiled it down to what it really is. My "stoned out crack dream" is just a simplification of things.

But that's fine. Myself, I choose to put more stock into a personal experience than I do a 2,000+ year-old text of dubious authoring that has been translated and edited innumerable times.

I've also never done crack. I had this experience during a lengthy period of absolute sobriety. No drugs, no alcohol, not even cigarettes.