Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Any questions about Jesus Christ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eyro Elloyn

10-03-2014

Quote:
Ask Luxanna:
There's also a wealth of information out there accounting for the illegitimacy of the gospels. The gospels themselves contradict each other so they are illegitimate on their face.

again, case for Christ addresses a lot of this subject. It's been 2k years since Jesus died, I'm not gonna write a book already written, y'know?

But anyone can say "God, why have you forsaken me?" right before they die. That isn't a special thing to say.

but a dehydrated, severely beaten to the point of being unrecognizable man is not gonna be in a coherent state to speak. Also if they were thinking God had abandoned them, why quote scripture?

But why should I accept someone's sacrifice for my sins if I'm going to be reborn again as a different person, and continually seek to attain salvation for my soul by mastering control over sin?

because you'll never master your sin. Not one person has, and if reincarnation existed people would've had over 5k years to try.

Responses bolded.

MarieTheKitten

10-03-2014

Did Mary Magdalene give him the clap?

Eyro Elloyn

10-03-2014

Quote:
MarieTheKitten:
Did Mary Magdalene give him the clap?

Because he's happy and he knows it.

Ask Luxanna

10-03-2014

Quote:
Eyro Elloyn:
again, case for Christ addresses a lot of this subject. It's been 2k years since Jesus died, I'm not gonna write a book already written, y'know?

Then what are you doing? Nothing. You've provided no value and are useless.

Quote:
but a dehydrated, severely beaten to the point of being unrecognizable man is not gonna be in a coherent state to speak. Also if they were thinking God had abandoned them, why quote scripture?

BS. The other people next to Jesus were coherent enough to make fun of, and ridicule, Jesus. And who said he was quoting scripture? That's like saying someone who said "Pray for me" quoted scripture. What a load of horse ****

Quote:
because you'll never master your sin. Not one person has, and if reincarnation existed people would've had over 5k years to try.

Yes people have. Buddha was the first. Get rekt, go home

Poeta Somnium

10-03-2014

In Gen. 22 God tells Abraham to sacrifice his only son Isaac. Abraham prepares to do this without question, and it is only through an angel's intervention telling Abraham "Woah just kidding dawg! You ain't gotta whack yo son, we cool G." that Isaac's life is spared; God was content with Abraham's willingness to carry out His divine will.

Knowing what we know about God's position on sacrifice ("And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD" Leviticus 18:21) why does God ask Abraham to do this? If God is omniscient, omnipotent, and all Creation follows his ineffable divine plan, then He knows beforehand that Abraham will carry out the sacrifice and that Abraham is just a devout dude in general, meaning there is no need to test his faith.

Now, if all our courses are preemptively plotted by the almighty, then our decisions have no bearing on our salvation. We are destined for heaven or hell from birth.

Conversely, if Abraham acts through free will and God does not know the outcome ahead of time, that says to me that almighty God is not omniscient / omnipotent and the decisions of everyday mortals supersede the carefully drafted universal blueprint of God's divine plan. Furthermore, it says to me that God would force his children into a catch-22 just to see what they do; either Abraham did God's will and commits an act which God expressly forbids (resulting in hell and damnation) or he refuses and disobeys a direct order from God (also resulting in hell and damnation).

If God spoke to you directly and commanded you to sacrifice your only child, would you?

Another question: if God is omnipotent and omniscient, how was Adam able to hide from Him in the Garden after he ate the forbidden fruit? That one always bugged me.

Ask Luxanna

10-03-2014

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

rekt -- the guy in the sky is a lie

Quote:
it says to me that God would force his children into a catch-22 just to see what they do

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Surakai

10-04-2014

dystheism is best theism

Surakai

10-04-2014

Quote:
Ask Luxanna:
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

rekt -- the guy in the sky is a lie

that's retard atheist logic

"my fairy tale version of God isn't true so I'm going to convert to the atheist religion"

Notalent

10-04-2014

Quote:
Poeta Somnium:
In Gen. 22 God tells Abraham to sacrifice his only son Isaac. Abraham prepares to do this without question, and it is only through an angel's intervention telling Abraham "Woah just kidding dawg! You ain't gotta whack yo son, we cool G." that Isaac's life is spared; God was content with Abraham's willingness to carry out His divine will.

Knowing what we know about God's position on sacrifice ("And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD" Leviticus 18:21) why does God ask Abraham to do this? If God is omniscient, omnipotent, and all Creation follows his ineffable divine plan, then He knows beforehand that Abraham will carry out the sacrifice and that Abraham is just a devout dude in general, meaning there is no need to test his faith.

Now, if all our courses are preemptively plotted by the almighty, then our decisions have no bearing on our salvation. We are destined for heaven or hell from birth.

Conversely, if Abraham acts through free will and God does not know the outcome ahead of time, that says to me that almighty God is not omniscient / omnipotent and the decisions of everyday mortals supersede the carefully drafted universal blueprint of God's divine plan. Furthermore, it says to me that God would force his children into a catch-22 just to see what they do; either Abraham did God's will and commits an act which God expressly forbids (resulting in hell and damnation) or he refuses and disobeys a direct order from God (also resulting in hell and damnation).

If God spoke to you directly and commanded you to sacrifice your only child, would you?

Another question: if God is omnipotent and omniscient, how was Adam able to hide from Him in the Garden after he ate the forbidden fruit? That one always bugged me.

Genesis is pretty widely agreed to be Allegorical and not meant to be taken literally by most biblical scholars.

As for the Actions of Abraham, its pretty consistent with old testament works, God gives man free will, but routinely tests that free will (see Job and to a lesser extent the story of Noah and Soddom and Gammorah). This aspect of Biblical stories also shows up in the Temptations of Christ, but is less...dickish. In general the Old Testament tales are harsher on modern values, but perhaps are better suited to the period from which they came then the New Testament was.

Eyro Elloyn

10-04-2014

I accept that if God is all knowing and all powerful, then it was his intention for sin to enter the world and his intention for people to go to hell. And he is still good.

Why is this? Because he created everything and we were made to glorify him. He is glorified as a judge when sinners are cast to hell and he is glorified as a saviour when he forgives them.

We can't surprise God, this was his plan, to create a people who knew what it was like to be apart from God so they know he is the best option. A lot of people can't handle this because they think they're far more important than they actually are.

God loves us, yes, but we were created to glorify him, not to be served by him. So no, Buddha is not sinless, because he believed that humans could become perfect in a way that didn't glorify God.