Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Remove or rework Amumu! HE PERPETUATES NEGATIVE STEREOTYPES!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mohrb

10-03-2014

Obvious answer:

Cry about it more?

Realistic answer:

Yes, amumu seems to suffer from depression. Because he's depressed about a few things. And that's OK. Depression is a normal human (and yordle) emotion. Denying it doesn't make it "not exist"... it makes it harmful. Accepting depression as a way the mind mind naturally copes and categorizes problems is how to be depressed and healthy. Amumu does this.

Annie has a clear pyromania. Cassiopeia has Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Cho gath and Kogmaw... Have you seen them? Fiddlesticks is a sociopath and a sadist. Tryndamere is a masochist. Fizz has Dependent Personality Disorder (obsessed with behaving in an exaggerated child-like way). Gragas is an alcoholic who deals with... seemingly every... personal problem through the ingestion of food. Miss Fortune seems to have some sexual trauma in her past... overly sexualizing situations where inappropriate. Shaco is a text book psychopath (Note his skin where he's proudly wearing the restraints from the mental correctional facility from which he escaped). Trundle has antisocial personality disorder. Veigar has a power complex. Viktor seems to be autistic in his single-minded pursuit of one particular obsession in a way that disrupts normal human connections. Ziggs... I assume his obsession with explosions has something to do with pyromania... not sure what explosion-mania would be called.

.... And then, there's jinx. Where would I start on Jinx? Schizophrenia, Dissociative personality disorder, antisocial disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, she seems to cope with her loneliness by pushing people away.... Jinx is beautifully insane. And, that's why people love her.

LoL is a celebration of emotional diversity. If you're going to hate on depressed people, you can kindly take your bigotry elsewhere. I'm celebrating diversity. You're a bully.

Sleeper Cell

10-03-2014

In a game that involves murdering around 200+ people and creatures each game per person I don't think a depressed character is a big concern.

Ten Inch Rooster

Recruiter

10-03-2014

I can not believe you guys fell for this....

Ninpire

10-03-2014

Quote:
Mohrb:
Obvious answer:

Cry about it more?

Realistic answer:

Yes, amumu seems to suffer from depression. Because he's depressed about a few things. And that's OK. Depression is a normal human (and yordle) emotion. Denying it doesn't make it "not exist"... it makes it harmful. Accepting depression as a way the mind mind naturally copes and categorizes problems is how to be depressed and healthy. Amumu does this.

Annie has a clear pyromania. Cassiopeia has Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Cho gath and Kogmaw... Have you seen them? Fiddlesticks is a sociopath and a sadist. Tryndamere is a masochist. Fizz has Dependent Personality Disorder (obsessed with behaving in an exaggerated child-like way). Gragas is an alcoholic who deals with... seemingly every... personal problem through the ingestion of food. Miss Fortune seems to have some sexual trauma in her past... overly sexualizing situations where inappropriate. Shaco is a text book psychopath (Note his skin where he's proudly wearing the restraints from the mental correctional facility from which he escaped). Trundle has antisocial personality disorder. Veigar has a power complex. Viktor seems to be autistic in his single-minded pursuit of one particular obsession in a way that disrupts normal human connections. Ziggs... I assume his obsession with explosions has something to do with pyromania... not sure what explosion-mania would be called.

.... And then, there's jinx. Where would I start on Jinx? Schizophrenia, Dissociative personality disorder, antisocial disorder, body dysmorphic disorder, she seems to cope with her loneliness by pushing people away.... Jinx is beautifully insane. And, that's why people love her.

LoL is a celebration of emotional diversity. If you're going to hate on depressed people, you can kindly take your bigotry elsewhere. I'm celebrating diversity. You're a bully.

Dude how did you not mention mundo

THCTyrant

10-03-2014

This thread shows a shocking lack of empathy from the general LoL public. That you would so casually dismiss the concerns of Mr. Peter Stroker and people like him due to his name is unforgivable and clearly shows a failure on the part of your parents to teach you not to judge people by outside appearances. As mentioned before, the creation of lore is no excuse to display callousness towards the emotional states of others, particularly when the subject is one as serious as depression. Mental illness is no joke, and as an upstanding member of **** sapiens, I implore the bigots in this community to set down their torches and engage in an honest and serious discussion of the complaint that has been raised. Just because Amumu has been the parody of depression for years does not make the cruelty towards those who are afflicted by the illness any less graphic. While you may not consciously realize you hold such prejudices, the first step is admit your faults and attempt to mature yourselves, rather then dismissing the complaints of others. You disappoint me.

From the desk of The Weed King.

P.S. If you wish to discuss this personally you can contact me at my company number, 1-800-938-5477

wolfax

10-03-2014

Quote:
THCTyrant:
This thread shows a shocking lack of empathy from the general LoL public. That you would so casually dismiss the concerns of Mr. Peter Stroker and people like him due to his name is unforgivable and clearly shows a failure on the part of your parents to teach you not to judge people by outside appearances. As mentioned before, the creation of lore is no excuse to display callousness towards the emotional states of others, particularly when the subject is one as serious as depression. Mental illness is no joke, and as an upstanding member of **** sapiens, I implore the bigots in this community to set down their torches and engage in an honest and serious discussion of the complaint that has been raised. Just because Amumu has been the parody of depression for years does not make the cruelty towards those who are afflicted by the illness any less graphic. While you may not consciously realize you hold such prejudices, the first step is admit your faults and attempt to mature yourselves, rather then dismissing the complaints of others. You disappoint me.

From the desk of The Weed King.

I love it when someone like you pretends they're so enlightened as to be "above" anyone else with an opinion that differs from your own. You talk about maturity and having a discussion while blatantly telling everyone they're wrong because they're not you.

Genova Fearbane

10-03-2014

The big thing is: it's a game.

League of Legends is no doubt a fantastic game, and I've seen a lot of fantastic things ruined by self-centered things like this from people who beg for attention. I have two friends with bi-polar disorder and I am autistic myself and we have absolutely no problem with amumu and they have never even brought him up.

The thing is that it wasn't a problem before you brought it up. YOU turned it into a problem. Get your false social justice out of here.

TyHub18

10-03-2014

Dude, Peter, ITS A GAME, get over it and man up. For gods sake, HE HAS NO MEMORY OF HIS PAST LIFE, if course hes gonna be sad. Plus I restate, ITS A GAME.

Jbels

10-03-2014

I want you all to read his name very carefully and think very hrd about that name. Then read his OP again.

Splougy

10-03-2014

Quote:
Peter Stroker:
Amumu clearly suffers from clinical depression. Or perhaps bipolar disorder, as evidenced by tantrum (anger is often a symptom of manic phases) and the quote from his old lore, ""Things are bad when Amumu is crying, but they're much worse when he's angry."

You have it all wrong, allow me to explain. First a quick review of his lore.

Quote:
Amumu's current Lore... no, really...:

Amumu is a diminutive, animated cadaver who wanders the world, trying to discover his true identity. He rose from an ancient shuriman tomb bound in corpse wrappings with no knowledge of his past, consumed with an uncontrollable sadness.

Amumu as you know is a Yordle, and as such requires social interaction with other's to stay sane. But how do they react when everything they ever known or loved is no longer with us?

Well, we can use Amumu as a perfect example of what happened. He awoke from his death, subconsciously he was aware everyone he new or loved had died. Knowing Yordle Psychology the kind of emutional trauma one suffers from one loved one passing away could be great... But everything and everyone you ever know or loved obviously caused Amumu's brain to click off so to speak.

Now he knows he's sad but his subconcious is preventing him from actually understanding and knowing why.

We can not use our knewledge of human Psychology and apply it to Yordles(especially undead) because they're brain doesn't work like that