Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Remove or rework Amumu! HE PERPETUATES NEGATIVE STEREOTYPES!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Peter Stroker

10-03-2014

Hello Riot and League of Legends players, my name is Peter Stroker. I've been an avid player of League of Legends for quite some time. But there is one character in this game that has always frustrated me: Amumu.

I have no problems with his kit or from a game balance perspective. My problem with Amumu is that he perpetuates a certain social stigma.

Amumu clearly suffers from clinical depression. Or perhaps bipolar disorder, as evidenced by tantrum (anger is often a symptom of manic phases) and the quote from his old lore, ""Things are bad when Amumu is crying, but they're much worse when he's angry."

In either case, Amumu's battle with mood disorders is portrayed as little more than a joke, such as dressing him up as a stereotypical emo kid in his Emumu skin.

I find this absolutely sick. I think you can tell a lot about a person or corporation by how they treat people with physical or mental issues. Depression, bipolar, and similar disorders are no joke. They are disorders that, if not properly treated, can lead to suicide.

Please, Riot. Stop perpetuating stereotypes about these types of disorders. You wouldn't make a character called Captain Wheelchair who is "comically" hard countered by stairs, would you?

wolfax

10-03-2014

Please tell me you're not serious about this, I mean really. His lore is justification for his sadness. He somehow died and came back to life with no memories. He is however sad, implying that something bad happened in his former life that has either been forcibly removed from his memory, or just repressed. He is now wandering trying to figure out what happened to him in his former life, and what events would have made him sad. I'd honestly like them to flesh out the story a little more (I really wanna know how he died), but they are not making fun of people with depression.

Jbels

10-03-2014

pfft...Peter Stroker...

BlueBunnies

10-03-2014

As someone who suffers with depression, I completely agree with OP and take offense to the replies. Lore is no justification to humiliate those with mental ailments. Please release a politically corrected amumu Riot!

Drunk Wukong

10-03-2014

boo hooo lel depression from what exactly

Ninpire

10-03-2014

I think wolfax is right. He's sad so he's on a journey to find out why.

Drunk Wukong

10-03-2014

getting upset over the dumbest things the people these day's.

Namnoms

10-03-2014

Quote:
Drunk Wukong:
getting upset over the dumbest things the people these day's.

They just need something to complain about, boredom is the biggest instigator in existence.

Jbels

10-03-2014

Quote:
BlueBunnies:
As someone who suffers with depression, I completely agree with OP and take offense to the replies. Lore is no justification to humiliate those with mental ailments. Please release a politically corrected amumu Riot!

Complaining about people who satirize and parody depression in an offensive way is ok. Drawing Parallels between Amumu and depression as a serious mental condition that are not only rediculous, but completely non-existent and then getting angry at the people who reply negatively to the original post that did that, is not.

Sleeper Cell

10-03-2014

Quote:
Peter Stroker:
Captain Wheelchair who is "comically" hard countered by stairs, would you?

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! xD

And wtf? Bro, he isn't sad cuz of depression shizz, he is sad for something that happened in his past life before he was rez'd that he can't remember but still affects him despite his inability to figure out why.