Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Caitlyn ADC

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wind Skurai

10-03-2014

Hello everyone!
I'm a relatively new player – Level 10 / 1 months play – and I've just purchased my first champion based on the characters I've been trying through the free rotation cycle. The champion I purchased is Caitlyn due to I found I enjoyed the AD Carry play style the best so far based on how I understand it. I've done some reading through the forums on how to improve on my game play now as I'm starting to branch out more into the PVP gameplay, but I was wanting to ask directly for any advice in playing Caitlyn and some things experience players may have noticed as her best strengths and weaknesses to take note of as I pay attention to my transition of bots to players.

Thanks in advance!
Wind

PimperGnome

10-03-2014

She's a fairly decent ADC...be sure to maximize her range and her late game wave clear with the piltover. Use her traps to your advantage to mini-ward bushes etc, also learn how to use her net toss. Once you get fast at using it you can use it both as a gap closer and get away device to either propel yourself quickly toward champions or away from danger. Also practice using it to hop over small small walls to get away from danger...it's almost like having an extra "flash". For instance you can use it to escape out of the dragon pit etc.

Wind Skurai

10-03-2014

Quote:
PimperGnome:
Once you get fast at using it you can use it both as a gap closer and get away device to either propel yourself quickly toward champions or away from danger. Also practice using it to hop over small small walls to get away from danger...it's almost like having an extra "flash". For instance you can use it to escape out of the dragon pit etc.

That's good advice PimperGnome, thank you. I've definitely gotten the handle of using it as an escape device, however, I never considered using it to close that gap as well. Same goes for a wall hurdle. I'll have to give that a try tonight in some bot matches to get the hang of it.

Thank you

koalaknight

10-03-2014

Cait is simple to play, but difficult to master, where you can do a lot of cool things with her. Her only real weakness is that she will not scale as well into the mid and late game before full build, where she will just doesn't scale as well as some of the other AD carries (2 of her basic abilities are more for the utility, and she doesn't really have some sort of damage / attack speed buff to help with her damage output. Not a problem early or very late game). But, she is strong in the early game, sometimes enough to give you a strong enough advantage to bypass her weak mid game, and she is incredibly strong in the very late game with full item build at which point she just melts tanks and objectives from a safe distance.

She is very rewarding when you get better at her mechanics (very high skill cap, can always improve), where she has a very smooth auto-attack animation, where while it has an initial long wind up before the projectile leaves, you can cancel the animation and orb walk fairly efficiently with her (normally, you will stand still until auto-attack animation completes, but, you can cancel it right when you see projectile leave where you will be able to move and it will still deal damage) after getting just a little bit of attack speed.

As I briefly mentioned ealier, she has a strong early and very late game but will be weaker in the mid to late game. Her kit trades damage for range and utility, where you should focus on poking down your opponent and kiting them rather than going all in against them (unless you are ahead or they are low on health). She will probably lose 1 vs 1 auto-attack duels against a lot of other AD carries that just do a lot more damage.

Oh, and in terms of cool things you can do with her, there is this cool trick with her Q + E, where right when you use E, you can use Q where the starting point of her Q will be where you were before using E. What happens is that your E slows your opponent, then they get hit by Q, while you are already safely propelled away. It has surprisingly high burst damage, and auto-attack crit - > E -> Q does a ridiculous amount of damage.You will probably need to turn on smart cast in the options menu (if you haven't already) to pull this off.

Wind Skurai

10-03-2014

Really helpful information. Thank you KoalaKnight. I appreciate the feedback.

Steinustine

10-04-2014

Howdy-hi Wind Skurai,

I too just began playing with Caitlyn ( made a thread asking for good champions for new players, buying those champs is the only time I've bought a champ with R.P. ) and I've noticed several things that might be of use. I'm not sure these tips are anything special but just some stuff I've noticed through my own game-play and spectating others. I encouraged more experienced players to correct me if I'm wrong on any one point. Hopefully I can be of help to you.

1) Caitlyn's passive ability, named Headshot, does 50% of your base attack damage and triggers at X number of stacks which are accumulated from basic attacks; you normally gain 1 stack per attack but will gain 2 stacks if you attack from a bush.

1.2) Caitlyn's Headshot can combine with critical hits ( they do +200% damage ) for a more powerful strike. This stacks even further with an Infinity Edge allowing for your auto-attacks to potentially do 300% damage.

2) Your Piltover Peacemaker ( We'll call it P.P. ) has a "tell" that lets your foe know it is about to be launched. If you intend to use this on a foe champion try to do so while in a bush.

2.2) While I max P.P. early I've found it is a bad tool for harassing lane opponents because of mana costs and the "reduced damage" it does for each enemy unit it passes through.

2.3) I find saving P.P. for when minions are coming into lane lets me use it to waveclear more effectively than when minions are fighting against one another. When they are coming to lane they are all in a line, making every minion an easy target.

3) Using your Yordle Snap Traps ( we'll call them YST. ) is a decent way to harass and zone foe champions and work well hidden in bushes.

3.2) YST. reveal a small area upon being placed.

4) Assuming you have "smartcast" on you can plot a course by clicking a spot on the mini-map and fire your 90 Caliber Net ( we'll call it the 90CN.) behind you; shaving your travel time as Caitlyn will automatically continue running the plotted course.

4.2) Using the 90CN. this way is a quick way to get off of the summoning platform or get out of immediate danger.

4.3) Your 90CN. can help you pass through small walls; a good example being the rockmen camp in the Summoner's Rift jungle.

5) Caitlyn's Ace in the Hole ( We'll call it Ace ) isn't something I've had a lot of experience with. I can't really tell you much about Ace aside from two things: Avoid using Ace in large teamfights ( easy to lose your intended target causing a shot ) and against Yasuo.

Happy trails,
Steinustine.

xbladethemaster

10-06-2014

Steinustine, I would just call them Q, W, E, and R, but whatever.