Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Seeking help for top lane please :)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kityypants

10-03-2014

Ok so i have been playing the support role for a long while now , and I am starting to notice I have become complacent . More going through the motions warding blah blah blah , now i want to play the carry spot on the team. I've played a few games as the ADC and its fun just because I have watched 100s of other players do it while playing support . I want to switch it up completely and I guess the top lane is the furthest thing from bot lane so if anyone has any pointers such as champions that are good up top or tactics I would be extremely grateful . Thank you so much for reading

F33dMeKills

10-04-2014

Gnar is great at top. Gnar has CC (poke) and his Passive giving him different stats. Just be aware of his passive gauge.

ZehPandah

10-04-2014

These are a few champs that are good in top lane and aren't too difficult to master.

-Ryze <-- My personal favorite in the top lane.
-Maoki <-- can also jungle if you ever want to do that
-Lulu <-- good utility
-Malphite <-- good tank
-Riven <-- great lane bully

Dakka Downpour

10-04-2014

Renekton is my go-to top laner. He has no resource costs on his abilities, his Q heals you based on targets hit, and he can do a respectable amount of damage even building very tanky. His main limits are that his damage is somewhat gated by ability cooldowns, and he is a melee champion so play safer when facing someone ranged.

Pantheon's good if you want early kills or poke, and Shyvana also deals lots of damage even if she builds less offensive gear than one would on Renekton.

Main thing about top is that in the current meta, top laners are generally fighters who can deal and take fair amounts of damage. You're alone and away from the higher-damage lanes or easier objectives in the mid and bot lanes, and the Dragon. The jungler can help you more easily because 2v1 instead of 3v2 in bot, but otherwise it is expected that you keep your lane opponent in check while building into either a high-damage carry or a tanky initiator of teamfights.

Other good top-laners: Maokai, Ryze, Rumble, Fiora, Yasuo, Teemo, Lee Sin, Wukong, Garen, Riven, Xin Zhao, Nidalee, Malphite. Generally fighters, assassins, and some tanks, mages, and marksmen - all of whom are either inherently resilient or have short attack/ability ranges.

Please post if you have any complaints/reBUTTals

Dakka Downpour

10-04-2014

Quote:
ZehPandah:
-Lulu <-- good utility

Forgot Lulu, she works as well. Though I like to play her as Machine Gun Lulu! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

... Look it up.

MiLdLYirriTaTed

10-04-2014

Thing is currently top laners usually isn't the carry anymore unless you wreck your lane with gnar riven wukong/fiora etc. Moreover, a lot of top laners aren't much about finesse, you may default to your passive support habits and not get punished for it (assuming you are playing a tanky bruiser, which allow for making a few mistakes without dying.

Example: When I play Shyvana (who is AWESOME btw) assuming I'm not massively behind, I can literally dragon form 1v3 into the enemy team and just sit there with my W and sunfire ticking as I E, auto and Q someone as they come off of cooldown and keep auto-ing, (ideally someone squishy), then walk away. Generally this is a horrible idea (because the chances of you dying is HIGH) but with someone like Shyvana, Mundo, etc, it's a great play (they can walk away from that 1v3 still alive).

Maybe mid lane assassin is more of what you're looking for if you want a full 180 from a passive support. Assasins in general are hard to play but give the highest rewards if you get ahead. The problem is they are fraaaaaagileeeeee and finicky. You need to calculate when you can engage and you need to land skill shots. I recommend Zed (he can also top)

GankplanKnukka

10-05-2014

AAtrox, Darius, Garen and Swain, as a counter, are some of the TOPS I find really fun to play.

DDasani

10-06-2014

Irelia is a fun top laner..takes little to no knowledge and you can last hit with her Q making her possibly the easiest champion to last hit with if you have problems last hitting. She is a combo of tank and AD.