Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

4.17 Hotfix deployed for mac crashes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot3ous

Software Engineer

10-02-2014

See title.

Thanks for your patience all with this issue. Turns out, it was a problem for Windows clients as well. In addition, it turns out there two problems that existed simultaneously.

DocRedgrave

10-02-2014

Quote:
Riot3ous:
See title.

Thanks for your patience all with this issue. Turns out, it was a problem for Windows clients as well. In addition, it turns out there two problems that existed simultaneously.

Wait, a problem for Windows clients as well? How come I wasn't affected by the crashes since I use windows? And what was causing it?

Riot3ous

Software Engineer

10-02-2014

One was a metrics reporting system used to analyze network routes to our servers. Another one was a more fundamental change to how game objects are deleted.

Unfortunately, the code path was changed in such a way that an object could be deleted during it's update cycle. The actual occurrence rates were frame and timing dependent which made the bug difficult to reproduce.

As for why you observed it only on Mac and not on Windows, there are a number of differences between your machines and configurations beyond just the operating system. In addition, you are but a sample size of 1 (as important of a sample as that is). The statement I issued above pertained to a more holistic view of all players in all regions.

As a final note, for those of you still experiencing crashes, it most likely is not due to the two crash sources the hotfix addresses. Those two crashes were overwhelmingly the most prevalent but, of course, things aren't perfect yet. We're working to always make it better, and we appreciate all the help in figuring out these issues thus far.

Laydoo

10-02-2014

Didn't work. In fact, caused more problems for me.

Before 30 min ago, I was doing fine with both 4.16 and 4.17 patch on Macbook Air 2013 and OS X Maverick. Never had any loading or in-game crashes. Since the hotfix, I've been disconnected from the same game 4 times, without any warning or indication. All of a sudden everything would become frozen and unresponsive. Only thing that still goes is the timer and the music.

Token Log in

10-02-2014

Now I get firewall errors and haven't been able to play one match since the "Hot Fix" and I know it has nothing to do with my firewall.

Riot3ous

Software Engineer

10-02-2014

What you guys are seeing is sadly a separate bug that is not related to this hotfix. We've since added better debugging instrumentation so we will work on a fix for that issue next.

Riot3ous

Software Engineer

10-02-2014

In fact, I just analyzed those dumps coming in. The client crashes in a particular set of circumstances when textures are being freed for some reason. We're on it guys!

Dessembrae

10-02-2014

I'm sure you guys spent a lot of time tracking this annoying bug down. Let me at least say thanks to all of you who helped with the fix.

typhoonpoopstorm

10-02-2014

I'm about to play a match on my Imac for the first time in forever. Here goes nothing..

jetscanfly

10-02-2014

thanks for fixing this!