Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to install League of Legends on a NEW computer?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ectb

02-03-2011

I have an old XP computer installed with League of Legends, I tried to copy&paste the entire game to my memory stick, then copy&paster the game to my new laptop.

Basically:
Old PC -> USB ->New PC

The problems are:
1. The Riot folder in my C drive appears empty (0bits), but takes 10 minutes to copy&paste the folder to my memory stick (~5GB), wierd eh?
2. When I searched "Riot" using the Search function, the game files are all over the place, i.e. some in C drive and some in D drive. Each of them has a different update date.

Can anyone help me out please?
And please don't tell me to download LOL from internet, I'm on a VERY limited bandwidth.
Thank you very much!

dDamage

02-03-2011

Quote:
ectb:
then copy&paster the game to my new laptop.

Basically... that won't work.

I'd say go to Starbucks and download it there (or wherever you can get free wifi).

Diøs

Recruiter

02-03-2011

Go on the home page, and click on DOWNLOAD GAME

or just click here

https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/en/signup/redownload

DON'T INSTALL THE GAME

Copy the folder you download and it will work.

(You can only copy the installation folder, not the game)

GodofMountainDew

02-03-2011

Good luck copying a program from an old computer to a new one. You didn't give an OS but I imagine the new comp is Windows 7? Have fun with that... let me know how long it takes for you to finish downloading the game.

Roymachine

02-03-2011

Or you can log into the game and click the Download Game link on the bottom right with the Kat icon. Yeah, download from the client's direct link. Works every time.

gallantgreg

02-03-2011

Straight copying doesn't work, me and my friends tried that.

But what does work if you still have the installer, is run the installer on the new computer. Then copy over the riot games folder so you don't have to repatch it.

Lurkr

02-03-2011

Because of the way your operating system works, a copy-paste will never work (with very rare, mostly broken exceptions) because it has to be installed properly into each OS. Re-installing/downloading's the only route I'm afraid

ectb

02-03-2011

Quote:
dDamage:
Basically... that won't work.

I'd say go to Starbucks and download it there (or wherever you can get free wifi).

But there's no starbucks in North Korea

Katana

Master Recruiter

02-03-2011

Copy pasting does work because i've done it many times (though, over network not usb). If all your files were in the right place it should be easy. Also, it probably will take ~10 min or so because usb can only transfer so fast.

I think i just coppied my entire riot games folder

ectb

02-03-2011

Quote:
Katana:
Copy pasting does work because i've done it many times (though, over network not usb). If all your files were in the right place it should be easy. Also, it probably will take ~10 min or so because usb can only transfer so fast.

I think i just coppied my entire riot games folder

But my Riot folder is EMPTY. It did take 10minutes for me to copy paste an EMPTY folder though. I was like WTF