How to Cheese your way out of elo hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

imhuge

02-02-2011

TLDR: BUY MALLET, KILL EVERYTHING

NOTE: I don't buy into elo hell; if I asked you if you thought your normal games were elo hell you'd probably say "No I'm really good." But I think people can't get past that mentality so this cheesing is meant to raise confidence.

What is cheesing? Cheesing is a simple tactic that is very effective for the low amount of effort needed. If you are in elo hell and are a good player, that is improving your own play level wouldn't help you increase elo, then cheesing should be the fastest way to escape elo hell.

THEORY
: Frozen Mallet owns low level players. First, they have bad judgment, so if they decide to fight a losing battle they can't run. Second, it's a big slow, so it counters Ghost and Flash and Cleanse alone but can be countered by a combination of any 2. Third, lower level teams tend to organize very late into the game so you can continue ganking for very long.

What does this mean? In theory, buying Frozen Mallet first will let you gank anyone 100%. This gets you fat, which means your pro gameplay will let you 1v5 and take nexus every game.

What skills do you need? Be able to right click mostly, also be able to walk into a brush. Being a much better player helps too.

Qualities needed to solo win solo queue in elo hell:
1. You need to play your role but also every other role. You have to initiate, you have to be able to take hits, you have to be able to kill the enemy. Assuming your teammates have bad positioning and bad item builds, they won't help much in any of those 3 roles.
2. You have to be able to end the game. This usually means solo pushing and being able to ace the enemy multiple times. Another possibility is surrender, which is probably rare in elo hell.

Frozen Mallet gives you good and easily reapplied cc, good health, and good damage thanks to the slow. People can say slow is the worst cc, but it is only the least disabling cc; in actuality, your team better have a lot of slows (along with better cc) if they want to win. People can say slow doesn't initiate, but Frozen Mallet is good enough to force Ghost/Flash use, which means it's good enough to initiate for you elo hell players.

Remember to get Lizard buff too. It adds damage and some more slow.

Why not just play a caster and get Rylais? Most casters have more room for error and most of them are weaker at pushes than a fed physical carry. The slow duration is also much lower and the slow% on area spells is much weaker. If a caster with fast Rylais worked, then the player probably wouldn't be in elo hell.

So who is a good candidate for this Frozen Mallet victory? Obviously a champion with high base range, high mobility, and high base damage. Range and mobility make it easier to get the first hit in and high base damage is probably needed to gank alone. That doesn't mean melee champions won't work; melee champions tend to have much more powerful skills than ranged champions but not having to close 500+ range for ganks/towers makes ranged champions easier.

What to buy after Mallet? Mercury Treads is required to gank against lots of cc. Bloodthirster is probably the best 1v5 item, I'd say it's required. Infinity Edge or Ghostblade give a big damage boost. Atma's and Hexdrinker give a nice defense along with damage. Aegis is a nice cover of all defenses. Quicksilver Sash makes it hard to chain disable you. If you have to fight an enemy that's fed, I really recommend some defense.

Tristana, Corki, and Ezreal all start at 550 range and have a flash skill. Corki has the highest damage early game, Tristana gets the most attack range later, Ezreal is sorta in between and his ult can help with kills. 1 of these 3 is probably the best, Corki is probably the easiest because Valkyrie is so fast and all he really needs to do here is press E and attack.

Ashe has 600 range, Frost Shot, and her stun, which makes her the hardest to escape from. If you don't play ranged carries very often, I'd pick her cause she's only 450 IP and annoying to fight.

Caitlyn is 650 range with a slow, low range flash. Her ult makes her very good for ganking. Once she's fed, Q and R are insanely good.

Twisted Fate has 500 range but has Pick-a-Card and Destiny. Ashe is easier but Destiny makes low level players go crazy.

Teemo has 500 range and mushrooms. Move Quick probably makes him into a god but I haven't played yet. Even if you mess up ganks, mushrooms help a lot.

Kog'Maw I almost forgot about but he's ok I guess. Twitch and Nidalee too. Miss Fortune here is basically inferior (less right-click) to Teemo besides some attack speed.

If you wanna be weird, you can pick Malzahar, Kayle, Kennen, Ryze, Swain, Sona, Veigar, Zilean...almost any ranged champ should work really.

Melee champs: Master Yi is number 1 easily. Number 2 has to be between Malphite and Nunu. Other good melee champs are Akali, Gangplank, Gragas, Irelia (Q too good), Jax, Nasus, Olaf, Rammus, Pantheon, Poppy, Rammus, Renekhton, Shaco, Shen, Singed, Sion, Trundle, Tryndamere, Udyr, Xin. ****, I listed basically everyone but you get my point.

I'll finish writing this later, but please post here if it works man

bze

02-02-2011

I actually agree with you. I wonder if this will work for some smarter bads.

Yugi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2011

D: thank you sir.

KAWAlI

02-02-2011

Hotshot gave a great piece of advice yesterday for dealing with horrible teams at low elo, play a pub stomper. You can't play a duo lane or hard carry and rely on your team you have to pub stomp at low elo, don't pick for your team period, because it just doesn't work when your carry is stacking Attack speed and goes 0/5 in lane.

Chaox, another 2k+ rated player was climbing out of Elo Hell on a smurf, and he streamed it, he would pick Sion almost every game with no regard to team comp and he would call a solo lane and carry. CS hardly matters at low elo, all that matters is pub stomping. Pick one champion that can pub stomp and play nothing but that champion until around 1600.

imhuge

02-02-2011

Champion picks aren't reliable. I say that because I've seen and heard so many cases where someone picks some Tier 1 pubstomper and goes 9999/1/9999 and loses. I believe ranged carry is the best way to go with this because they can end games from relative safety and would need no skills beyond right clicking. You're also invulnerable to draft because you don't have to have 1 specific champ.

When I started ranked, I played Ezreal, bought Sword of Occult and Bloodthirster and got 20 stacks almost every time. From my experiences and watching low level friends play, I learned that almost nobody realizes how Bloodthirster gives a huge 1v1 advantage. The way low level games often turn out, you can hunt the enemy down 1 at a time and they won't gather fast enough to kill you. Frozen Mallet is the perfect complement to Bloodthirster in that case. There is no AP version of this really, but the tactic is more about items and the utility in your skillset, which is why I listed so many non-carry champions.

SlyGoat

02-02-2011

tristana is the best champion to go with imo. she's just the best carry in the game and always has been except when kog'maw was bugged to deal double damage. one of the best steroids in the game, two peels, healing reduction and 750 range; you really dont need anything else.

Iceyou

02-02-2011

Other then caitlyn would have to agree

imhuge

02-03-2011

After playing AD Poppy, I have to say she'd be real good for this

Dzung

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGoat View Post
tristana is the best champion to go with imo. she's just the best carry in the game and always has been except when kog'maw was bugged to deal double damage. one of the best steroids in the game, two peels, healing reduction and 750 range; you really dont need anything else.
^

or you could play singed

imhuge

02-03-2011

Singed would be pretty amazing cause of his ult and slow

I won a 4v5 ARAM as TF by just letting him autoattack with a Bloodthirster+Trinity, practically soloing against Ryze/Irelia/Morg/Sivir/Gangplank, no gold cards required. I think buying a Vamp Scepter after Bloodthirster might be good just to cheese lifesteal some more.