Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

14 day ban, no information, no reason?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Impulse zabloN

09-30-2014

If it is automated, there is nothing to say it couldn't have errored. Happens all the time. I doubt that is what happened in this case, but regardless Riot should respond in some manner.

Onjo

09-30-2014

OMG yes please Riot get on this right away. I have been a fairly good player, not toxic at all, never get a chat restricton nor ban, since seasons 1 (banned because of leaving game). But since then I dont even receive a warning. This morning I played a game and my screen blacked out, then I got a 14 days ban tryna log back in.

Erdrik

09-30-2014

Quote:
Reitrahc:
... and it seems like a large number of people received 14 day bans all of a sudden today. ...

Remember Tribunal systems are down, so they do things manually.
This means building up a buffer of cases and sending out the results in 'waves' for the sake of efficiency.

The large number of people getting bans is not because of an automated process(an automated process would actually result in the opposite), rather because of a designed policy to make the work easier for the staff.

Quote:
Reitrahc:
... would find my behavior consistently toxic enough to warrant a ban without any form of warning in the first place, unless I've been toxic in ways I would never consider toxic, though I believe I have a rather strong sense of morality and what is right and wrong so I don't feel this is particularly likely either. ...

It is important to remember that it is not your morality that Riot is enforcing.
Riots purpose is to try to protect the game environment from toxicity.
Anything that causes or spreads toxicity as they have defined it is punishable, regardless of how it lines up to your morals.

Erdrik

09-30-2014

Quote:
Onjo:
OMG yes please Riot get on this right away. I have been a fairly good player, not toxic at all, never get a chat restricton nor ban, since seasons 1 (banned because of leaving game). But since then I dont even receive a warning. This morning I played a game and my screen blacked out, then I got a 14 days ban tryna log back in.

LeaveBuster does not ban beyond 1 week.
Your 14 day ban was not for leaves, or afk's, ect..

SnuggleLumpicus

09-30-2014

My first ban or chat restriction was 3 games I believe. I'm not sure if I was banned before, but I think it's possible. 2 days maybe?

And yes, I have uninstalled this game. Am I positive? Sometimes. Am I negative? Sometimes. Do I actively insult others. Never. Do I point out things they do wrong, yes. Do they always get butthurt and tell me to stfu. Yes.

Anyway, it was obviously an automated ban for people who received enough reports or received reports deemed bannable. No proof was given because it was a huge automated ban wave.

The only thing you can do is ticket riot and see.

An important thing to remember, is this COULD include cases from the very DAY THE TRIBUNAL WAS TAKEN DOWN. So it could be so far back you don't even remember saying it, or have told yourself that you need to change.

I believe people who report others are 100% butthurt and bad people. Any person willing to talk things out will see that you are both human beings. They don't care about talking, they care about anonymously punishing others and moving on, never thinking about it again, but hoping you think about it for a month.

Jubbinaut

Recruiter

09-30-2014

Quote:
SnuggleLumpicus:
My first ban or chat restriction was 3 games I believe. I'm not sure if I was banned before, but I think it's possible. 2 days maybe?

I'd guess 1. Or 3. Those are the typical lengths that are around 2 days.

Quote:
And yes, I have uninstalled this game. Am I positive? Sometimes. Am I negative? Sometimes. Do I actively insult others. Never. Do I point out things they do wrong, yes. Do they always get butthurt and tell me to stfu. Yes.

Attempting to place the onus on others for how your words affect them is useless. You never change, and neither does anyone else, leaving you stuck in the same loop until something gives, and in the meantime, everyone's miserable.

But then, leaving the community that you can't peaceably coexist with is one of the ways to break that loop, so good job finding a way out.

Quote:
Anyway, it was obviously an automated ban for people who received enough reports or received reports deemed bannable. No proof was given because it was a huge automated ban wave.

It wasn't automated. Riot's never automated bans. The reason no proof was given immediately is that the systems that automated building that proof (the Reform Cards) are part-and-parcel of the Tribunal. Which is currently down. So all of the chat logs that would be sent to players have to be manually compiled and cleaned to comply with the privacy policies.

It's significantly less work to send them out as-is, and then only make those logs for the people that ask.

Quote:
The only thing you can do is ticket riot and see.

Yep.

Quote:
An important thing to remember, is this COULD include cases from the very DAY THE TRIBUNAL WAS TAKEN DOWN. So it could be so far back you don't even remember saying it, or have told yourself that you need to change.

I suppose that's possible, but I doubt those would be significant factors. This is the 5th wave, after all. Players who'd been toxic back that far have likely already been hit at least once.

Quote:
I believe people who report others are 100% butthurt and bad people. Any person willing to talk things out will see that you are both human beings. They don't care about talking, they care about anonymously punishing others and moving on, never thinking about it again, but hoping you think about it for a month.

My problem with this is pretty simple: If the players being reported were capable of "talking it out" in the first place, they likely wouldn't have driven the other people to report them in the first place, which obviates the issue.

The whole paragraph smacks of victim blaming.

SnuggleLumpicus

09-30-2014

Quote:
Jubbinaut:

The whole paragraph smacks of victim blaming.

Victim? Victim blaming? I never insult anyone first and rarely, 1/100 times insult someone who insults me. If they take offense to something I didn't mean offensively, that's my fault? Sure, fine.

Have you taken the time to talk to people? I have. I was on the verge of reporting some people after they were obviously toxic, guess what, they are people.

You have some preconceived notion that people here don't read one thing and make a judgement on to report or not. I have never seen anyone wait until everything is said and done to report. That is a bad person, any way you swing it. Wanting anonymous punishment for someone they've read one line of they didn't agree with.

Victim blaming, pfft. He said poopoo nipple fisting, I'm such a victim. I better report him and never look back because I am a good person.

He said I got us all killed by afking in a bush and then asked why. I told him to stfu and then reported him after the game, because I am a good person.

I mean, I don't know what game you play, but obviously we have very different opinions. I play dom and aram only.

powerbats

09-30-2014

The problem is that you're using the victim blaming mentality of I was only defending myself. Wrong you responded to toxicity with more of the same and so your team had not 1 but 2 jerks to deal with. If you were defending yourself you'd have simply asked them to stop and if they kept on you'd have muted then reported them after game and they'd be banned and not you. Instead you chose to be like them so you both get banned.

SnuggleLumpicus

09-30-2014

Quote:
powerbats:
The problem is that you're using the victim blaming mentality of I was only defending myself. Wrong you responded to toxicity with more of the same and so your team had not 1 but 2 jerks to deal with. If you were defending yourself you'd have simply asked them to stop and if they kept on you'd have muted then reported them after game and they'd be banned and not you. Instead you chose to be like them so you both get banned.

Sorry, that depends on what you deem toxicity. If asking questions is toxic, then oh well. If trying to get to the bottom of the issue is toxic, then toxic needs to be redefined. Ignoring something never makes it go away.

You're happy with reporting and running, hoping for a punishment. I'm not as happy with that being the only choice.

Choosing to be like them. I don't insult them over how they play or who they are. I don't insult with words, yet am lumped in as toxic merely by replying. It's absurd and lazy. But if it makes you feel better, then so be it.

I've played over 2,500 I bet. It's been a long time since I've flat out called someone a name.

Jubbinaut

Recruiter

09-30-2014

Quote:
SnuggleLumpicus:
Victim? Victim blaming? I never insult anyone first and rarely, 1/100 times insult someone who insults me. If they take offense to something I didn't mean offensively, that's my fault? Sure, fine.

If they take offense to something that you didn't mean offensively, then yeah. It's a failure to effectively communicate on your part. Which isn't, by itself, problematic. Unless it becomes systematic - as in, you continue to try the same type of communication which is continually misinterpreted. If that's the case, you should take a look at how you choose to communicate with people.

Quote:
Have you taken the time to talk to people? I have. I was on the verge of reporting some people after they were obviously toxic, guess what, they are people.

I don't know what you're expecting of me, here. I talk to people all the time. Whether or not a player who behaves in a toxic manner is a person or not is irrelevant, by the same logic that that states it's irrelevant whether a person who spits in your face is a person. They're still deserving of the consequences of those actions.

Quote:
You have some preconceived notion that people here don't read one thing and make a judgement on to report or not. I have never seen anyone wait until everything is said and done to report. That is a bad person, any way you swing it. Wanting anonymous punishment for someone they've read one line of they didn't agree with.

I generally don't report players until almost everyone else has left the post-game lobby. I've spent quite a lot of time trying to talk to players who treated myself and my friends in an extremely toxic way, and gotten nowhere. And not a single lick of that matters. It doesn't matter whether or not "everything is said and done" when another player reports. If toxic behavior is present, it's worthy of a report. Consequences are a thing.

Quote:
Victim blaming, pfft. He said poopoo nipple fisting, I'm such a victim. I better report him and never look back because I am a good person.

He said I got us all killed by afking in a bush and then asked why. I told him to stfu and then reported him after the game, because I am a good person.

I mean, I don't know what game you play, but obviously we have very different opinions. I play dom and aram only.

I primarily play ARAM. I don't think it's so much about what we play. I think it's more about our very different approaches to the game, to the behavior systems, and to toxicity in general. Maybe even towards life. I'm a strong proponent of personal responsibility, and part of that is recognizing that actions have consequences. As such, I strongly believe that people should accept the consequences of their actions. If you spend 20 minutes berating me, there's a consequence for that, and I'm going to do my part to ensure that you experience it.

Because I shouldn't have to deal with that **** just to play a video game.