Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

My new raka build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iluvalar

09-29-2014

Quote:
":

Targon>tome>tome>armguard>cowl/shroud²>banshee veil¹>mejai>frozen heart

spellthief>3x tome>armguard>cowl/twinshadow/shroud²>banshee veil or spirit visage¹>twinshadow>frozen heart

¹This is your power spike
²you want to rush the cowl/veil, but you don't want to buy that ruby. If you have not enough money for the negatron you might start and even end the shroud before you build the cowl

Synopsis
Soraka have a very strange build now because she pay 10% hp for her heal so she want to build the less hp possible. However, is kit rely on her running around the entire battle field with half health left. If you don't want to be an easy pick every time, you need survivability. So it have to be an awesome armor and mr. Also, since you have a low max health and you pay hp for the heal, the flat hp5 regeneration items are incredibly good on soraka.

Item explanation
Targon brace : It might seem odd, but the targon brace gives 50hp per stack to both laners. The 50HP on soraka is magnified about 3x as usual. So the end result is about 1 red pot per stack of targon brace. On top of that, soraka have no problem getting that CS with starcall even if she don't get the execution effect.

Frostfang : (new)
After closer inspection, eclipse (e) appears to be ridiculously easy to land sometime hit twice and sometime even on 2 champions. I was affraid the difficulty to hit starcall would prevent me to use it. At max range, use eclipse. If they come closer starcall become easy and keep your eclipse for disengages. I'm still convinced that if you use the stacks correctly, the targon brace is much better. But I play solo queue and you can't always be matched with people who know or care about your stacks.

2x tome
This is crucial to make sure the HP you spend on your heal really worth it. As a support, you might not have enough gold for a full wand in one back. So it's 2 tomes instead.

Arguard
I don't like the hourglass effect late game. But the arguard (armor+ap) is exactly what we need. And it make a quick use of one of those tomes.

Banshee veil and cowl
This is the secret weapon of that build. Since you have very low health, the passive which regen 90HP (30 for cowl) each time you get hit is extremely good. Soraka is able to 3x that health and easily produce 1k extra HP for a hit SHE received. It's also the MR we were looking for.

Spirit visage (new)
upon close inspection, the spirit visage give less HP/5 then veil but doesn't require you to stay in the fight. And yes the cdr and healing improvement makes it quite good. I'd build both if there is any threatening apc around and the one I'll prioritize is situational.

Mejai
This also might look odd on a healer support. But you need to try that build to realize how easily you can survive multiple teamfight with very few effort to stay alive. Between wish which gives assists globaly, the eclipse, the starcalls and all those heals you gives to everyone, you'll get about 2/3 of the kills of the whole team as assists. So it build up slowly. On top of that, we need to do something with that second tome... so there it is...

Twin shadows (new)
lots of easy to build AP, a slow and some vision. It those hard games where you could make the difference, Your mejai might not be so great. I'd say there are 50/50 until you consider you have no sightstone and the slight vision it provide can save the day.

summoners
Clarity : It's important in my eyes. You can ressurect a champion and heal him from 0 to 100% in a few seconds. But if he is stucked without mana he gonna have to back anyway.

Teleport : Might be odd again. But once you get the beat, you will quickly understand that you can refill you ADC to full health no matter what each time you teleport. And there your back again with full health and 140% of you maximum mana to spam on your poor opponent laners who by now exhausted all their own ressource to try to damage the full health adc you have as a teamate. Very potent.

Thank you
Try it and tell me what you think about that.

vortical42

09-30-2014

I think you are on the right basic track. Some of those item choices really need work though. Targons especially is a poor choice. Lets look at what it gives you:
Health - Not totally worthless but close.
A weak heal on minion kills - You are the best healer in the game already.
A minion execute - you are ranged so totally wasted.
Bonus Gold on minion kills - The last thing Raka wants to do is push the lane.
HP/5 - yeas this is nice but not enough to justify taking this item over the other two.

BV is another trap item. Yes it looks appealing but you are wasting 1200 gold (450 health = 1220 gold) on stats you can't use fully.

Mejais CAN be good in ceratin situations. If you have a team that needs a bit of extra magic AND you have a really strong front line to protect you then mabey. Otherwise this is a really selfish pick that just puts a target on your back.

Here is my suggested build:
Ancient Coin
Boots - I prefer ninja tabi but Merc Treads are also good vs a magic heavy team.
Armguard or Chalice* depnding on the enemy lane.
Finish Taliman.
If they have a fed AP carry Finish athenes grail. Otherwise go for Ardent Censer.
Finish Grail.
Finish Hourglass.

Final build would look like: Talisman, T2 boots, Athenes Grail, Ardent Censer, Hourglass, Sightstone (or an open spot for wards)

* If they are really AD heavy you can always substitute Frozen Heart for Athene's. Just remember, that lost AP is going to reduce the effectiveness of your heals.

iluvalar

09-30-2014

Quote:
vortical42:

A weak heal on minion kills - You are the best healer in the game already.

This is where you are wrong. She is not an healer anymore, she is an HP amplifier. That "weak" heal bounce on her and become 3 time bigger. Generating the equivalent value of a red potion each wave.

Quote:
vortical42:

BV is another trap item. Yes it looks appealing but you are wasting 1200 gold (450 health = 1220 gold) on stats you can't use fully.

again, the passive of the banshee veil gets amplified about 3 time. According to http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Banshee%27s_Veil the gold value for this passive is 1620 so on soraka it is worth around 4860 gold when she is poked. As long as you keep seing her as an healer instead of an amplifier, you will get suboptimal results with this soraka.

Lyle Rachir

09-30-2014

that page is dead.

also visage over veil. increase your self heal.

can you find another place that says you have 3x healing. becuase i dont see it. and dont understand where thats coming from.

iluvalar

09-30-2014

Soraka pay 10% of her HP to heal 110 / 140 / 170 / 200 / 230 (+ 60% AP) HP. You can do the math behind but if the build is good, it can easily reach 2-3x more HP then the initial cost. And the cooldown is very low.

vortical42

10-01-2014

Ok, here is some math for you. For the price of a targons brace you could get 40 AP. With just a signle point in each skill (starcall and infusion) 40 AP provides an additional 8 health per target hit with starcall (40AP * 20%). Each use of brace heals you for 50 health. To actually compare them though we need to factor in cooldowns. Assuming no extra CDR, the cooldown on starcall is 7 seconds at rank 1. So divide the additonal 8 health by that and we end up with 1.14 hp/sec.
If a charge is used every time it becomes available, the effective CD on brace is 30s. 50hp/30s gives us 1.67 hp/sec. So for self healing brace wins... just barely.

Where AP wins big is on ALLIED healing. 40AP provides 24 additional hp per cast of infusion (40 * 60%). With a single rank in infusion it has a 4s CD which gives us 6hp/sec compared to 1.67 from brace. That's not even taking into account the benfits gained by ranking up those skills. Brace will always give you 1.67hp/sec while every rank of starcall and infusion make that 40AP more efficient (as does CDR from items).

TLDR; Brace is slightly better for self healing, much worse for allied healing. CDR and skill ranks quickly negate even the small advantage from brace.

iluvalar

10-01-2014

Well it heal you 50hp AND the nearest ally. So it compensate for any lost. And you are arguing that this single effect actualy make the whole item cost efficient ?

You didn't count the extra hp5, hp and obviously the gold generation yet..

vortical42

10-02-2014

Actually, if you read carefully I accounted for the 50hp you heal your ally (thats where the 1.67hps vs 6 hps comes from). The extra hp5 is nice; the problem is that you don't actually get any benefit until you finish the brace. The health is a wasted stat on Soraka. Finally, the gold gen is actually less on brace than on the other gold gen items. The whole idea is that you are giving up some of your income to funnel more gold to your lane mate. There are supports who can function well on that reduced income but raka is not one of them. You need a LOT of stats on her to keep up with the demands of healing and protecting your team (CDR, mana, armor, MR, and AP). That translates into higher gold requirements.

Lyle Rachir

10-02-2014

your also forgetting about mana regen. even her heal costs her health. and MANA. if you arent able to replenish the mana your arent going to be healing with her period. which is a big point for either of the 2 other items. because they both give mana regen

iluvalar

10-06-2014

Quote:
Lyle Rachir:
your also forgetting about mana regen. even her heal costs her health. and MANA. if you arent able to replenish the mana your arent going to be healing with her period. which is a big point for either of the 2 other items. because they both give mana regen

The mana cost is minimal, and her base mana regen allows for 1 heal each 10-15 seconds. You need to be very bad at mana management to hit a bottle neck there.

Today, I'm here to correct some things in my post...
1- I've been surprised how easy it is to trigger the spellthief stacks. I was affraid the starcall would be subpar to trigger it but once I tried eclipse save the day...

2- Replace mejai by Twin shadow. The twin shadow is conveniently built from very cheap AP items you can afford piece by piece during your backs. And I found the ghosts useful to scout and with a bit of practice it can save a ward or two. Since I refuse to build sightstone, it can help to give more vision. Mejai is still good but it tend to makes you stronger when you are already winning and it slightly cut on your potential comebacks.

3- Spirit visage vs banshee veil. After closer inspection, they are more on par with each other then I tought, both could be built first depending of situation.