Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Need advice for Ahri and Rumble - CSing and Early Game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MacDougal Li

09-29-2014

One thing that I have just begun to realize is that my CS is just awful.

Skip to the last paragraph for a TL;DR

I started LoL with Rumble, a champion with extremely spamable spells and a passive that lets me CS with minimal worries about last hitting.Being completely manaless, my only concern was learning to manage my heat and overheating at the correct times. I personally feel comfortable enough with the champion now that I have made my own masteries and stopped following directly from guides online.

I picked up Ahri recently as a way to expand my horizons in the game. One of the things I have noticed throughout my few months with LoL is that I am a team player; Provided I haven't fed the enemy, my mid and late games tend to be much more consistent. If by the end of the laning phase I am 3 and 7 with Ahri, I tend to make comebacks during the team fights by timing Spirit Rush correctly. In my 8th Provisional game, I turned my lackluster Ahri with that exact score into a mid and late game carry, going 14 and 9.

But that is a best case scenario. Ahri is considered by many to be a top tier champion in S4, on par with other mid laners such as Talon, Annie, LeBlanc and Akali, and yet my early game consistently suffers with her. IF I am not feeding, I am trading kills, and if I am trading, it is usually on the losing end of things. More than I would like to admit, this even happens with Rumble in top lane. Even Rumble, a very unpopular champion, has actually gained recognition in LCS this season as a key component of late game team fights, thanks to his Equalizer. So I cannot blame the champion, or my runes, or my college internet connection (which is rlly bad); there is something wrong with my playstyle.

What I am noticing with Ahri in particular is that I am not even reaching 70 CS by the 10 minute mark. As of right now, I am following the mastery page provided here. And my rune page has nothing affecting basic attack speed; There is heavy significance Magic Pen Marks, with 2 hybrid marks thrown in.

http://www.solomid.net/guide/view/34307-ahri-build-guide-apc-by-varph

I have been doing solo custom games and intermediate bot games to practice CS, but I am still making crucial mistakes that I cannot pinpoint other than her auto attack being to early or too late. In one solo custom game, my CS with Ahri was around 50 by the 10 minute mark; 5 creeps per minute. Horrible. Now imagine that number, in my most recent provisional game, against Morgana mid, who by that same 10 minute mark, has well over 100 CS, and has 5 kills from me. We lost that game, and naturally I was given the "refund your skin" treatment for feeding.

What can I do as a player to get better at CS with Ahri? I have this margin of error with the last hit that is so small, yet so significant, it dooms my ability to succeed in the mid lane. As for Rumble, what advice can anyone give about fighting the current meta of AD top lane champions? Many of them have a lot of sustainor tankiness and their overall damage up close keeps me CSing from afar.

Flestiraef

09-29-2014

The first creep wave is critical to your success, let me explain. This game is all about snowballing, right? Well you need to go practice against bots until you can consistently have a 6 as your score after the first creep wave. Then 10 or 11 after the 2nd wave is still acceptable. But that first wave you need to get perfect as much as possible. I notice it all the time with a lot of different champions, if I screw up the first minion wave, maybe it's my mindset, or maybe it's nothing at all, but I have a hard time snowballing. And by snowballing I mean being able to consistently clear waves without missing CS. Eventually with Ahri your Q alone is going to clear an entire wave, so your goal is to make that happen as fast as possible without dying in the process.

MacDougal Li

10-01-2014

Thank you very much

Ninpire

10-02-2014

Wait 70 by 10 minutes is bad? What about time spent backing?

Flestiraef

10-02-2014

I remember a few months ago, I read somewhere that 100 cs @ 20 minutes was acceptable. So I made that my goal for every champion I play. Today, I don't feel good about a game unless I have 150 cs @ 20 minutes. I aim for 200 @ 20 minutes every game. Silver.