Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Observations on Bot Behavior and queue frequency

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Behold the Void

09-28-2014

I've been observing the presence of bots for a bit, I think I've generally worked out a bit of the particulars as to when and how they'll appear. I feel like even at the top ELO there's a bit of potential confusion since I see a lot of statements about the ELO that my friends and I are in that are frankly untrue. So here's what I've observed, I welcome further information/debate, if nothing else it'll be a good resource. Probably such a thread should be pinned buuuut that seems counter to Riot's purposes as it's acknowledging the severity of this problem.

Anyway.

Where they appear

-Bots appear in PVP Dominion games with high frequency at Summoner Levels below 30. I think this occurs independently of individual MMR, in my experience Riot's matchmaker hedges toward putting lower level players against other lower level player so even if you're posting a higher MMR if you're sub-30 you're in bot central.
-Once you reach level 30, bots become much less frequent. They still seem to infest 800 MMR, but when you're around 900 they'll become infrequent at worst. 1,000 or 1,100 seems to be around when you're pretty much in the clear, at least most of the time.
-Bots appear to be more prevalent during the late night hours than during peak times, while there are still plenty in the low level queues it's far more likely to encounter them, even at higher MMRs, around the hours of midnight PST and beyond. I'm not sure when it drops off, my schedule has not allowed me to test that with reliable frequency.
-The mid MMRs will occasionally run into what I think of as independent botters. These guys are clearly running more advanced programs, and tend to have scripts to utilize certain champions effectively (one botter I ran into frequently at about 1200 MMR was a Ryze botter who would be able to use the Ryze spam faster than human button mashing allows, he was easily identifiable because his animation was constantly wigging out due to the spam. I am fairly certain he would occasionally run it bot but at other times be playing with a script but controlling his character since I recognized wildly different levels of strategic play out of him). These guys are annoying to be sure but are probably not going to be hit by the regular bot fixes that Riot is working on, they'll probably need a separate fix to target scripters.

How they act

-Bots TYPICALLY run Ghost/Heal, they do appear to have some variance on the icons but will use basic icons available to all summoners upon account creation and they don't have an easily figured out naming scheme like they used to.
-Most of the bots I am seeing have very slow algorithms that take time to detect new input. Depending on the situation they might use skills on enemies and cap points, but if, for example, you hit them when they're capping a tower they'll just stand there and not do anything for several seconds before they register that they need to be doing something else (and are usually dead by that point). Many bots will take a few seconds before they even leave the base.
-Bots can typically be identified by their build, they all tend to have the exact same build no matter the champion. Current recorded build is: Berserker Greaves, Spirit Visage
-In Champion select, bots will always play free champions (unless they're independent bots see above). They typically will quickly random twice before locking the second champion.

I think that's the main points I've observed. As more observations come up I'll try to keep on top of editing this post.

molokodude

09-28-2014

Greaves/visage first item rushes always for alot of them

CollectiveFury

09-28-2014

Absolutely insane botting going on in Dominion. It is literally impossible to play a game without them now. The last 3 games I played there were 3 bots on my team! THREE!! In three games!!! It is impossible to win you know!

Behold the Void

09-28-2014

Quote:
molokodude:
Greaves/visage first item rushes always for alot of them

I have noticed this, I didn't quite remember the build. I have a smurf I'm leveling to play with some of my lower MMR friends, I'll try to get a set build in as much detail as I can and post it. I'll probably also segment up the post a bit later so this can go in a section for bot style and behavior.

Quote:
CollectiveFury:
Absolutely insane botting going on in Dominion. It is literally impossible to play a game without them now. The last 3 games I played there were 3 bots on my team! THREE!! In three games!!! It is impossible to win you know!

What level are you, if I may ask? Also what MMR and what time of day are you playing? Is this your main account or a smurf? If you don't know how to track MMR, you can use this tool: http://quickfind.kassad.in/

It will give you your team's MMR so it's not 100% accurate, but a range would be great! More testimonials and data points certainly help, I'm going off what I've observed from myself and a number of friends who play the mode but a larger sampling size definitely helps us get a clearer picture of how it is.

Mordecai7562

09-29-2014

Quote:
CollectiveFury:

I totally agree with you CollectiveFury.
This morning I was the only human... In the whole match.
Riot should check these "bot" accounts and terminate them so that we can have fun and fair Dominion matches, because while it's nice to go 20-0, it isn't when you aren't even trying.
Also, the "bots" usually pick the free-to-play champs, and have the icon that the bots on summoner's rift use.

Behold the Void

09-29-2014

Quote:
Mordecai7562:
I totally agree with you CollectiveFury.
This morning I was the only human... In the whole match.
Riot should check these "bot" accounts and terminate them so that we can have fun and fair Dominion matches, because while it's nice to go 20-0, it isn't when you aren't even trying.
Also, the "bots" usually pick the free-to-play champs, and have the icon that the bots on summoner's rift use.

Right, thanks for reminding me about the champion used, I've even noticed a pattern in their select of how they'll random twice and lock. May I ask your summoner level and posting MMR for data purposes?

wolferer

09-29-2014

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2hs9u8/we_need_an_option_to_report_for_botting/

Some Reddit traction about bots in other game modes, too. Probably one of the largest issues LOL is facing right now. New player acquisition is extremely important to the longevity of a game, and the bot infested leveling experience isn't acceptable.

CollectiveFury

09-29-2014

the problem is more than rampant. All of the games I've played on Crystal Scar include 3 bots. The most recent one even had the nerve to include FOUR and to make matters insanely worse there wasn't even enough time to hit the 7 minute mark before the EASY AI completely dominated as usual.