Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

tips for gold top laning

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bigbacon6571

09-28-2014

im trying to get from gold 4 to gold 1 and I need tips with top lane

Hey Doood

09-28-2014

Well you need to be a bit more descriptive before people can help you. Just posting one sentence highlights a "do it for me" attitude that is likely more your problem than mechanics.

Are you willing to work at getting better? REALLY think about that question. Is Gold 1 worth the work that's required to get there? I'd like to know how to play Guitar but the work involved to learn it isn't worth it to me. Just me telling you things won't at all help you improve if you don't realize it takes work. There's absolutely nothing that you can just suddenly "understand" by me telling it to you and suddenly you're ten times better. I promise. Things might click, but then you'll have to make them part of how you actually play League, and that takes a lot of practice.

There's no secret formula for rising the ranks. You simply need to understand the game better. Know your matchups, know the unfavorable ones and how to deal with them. Make sure you're looking at the map. Make sure you know which objectives have priority, and know your role in teamfights. Getting fed early is a great way to win games but you can't RELY on that because unless you have Diamond mechanics (which you don't, because you're in gold 4) it won't happen every game, you need to understand how to make smart decisions and how to shy away from bad ones. Go through your wards when trying to get to a soon-to-breakout teamfight, for instance, instead of walking the shorter path through the fog. Stuff like this. It comes with experience, just me telling you that doesn't guarantee you'll think of it when it's important.

You might be tempted to say this advice isn't very helpful, but it's probably the most helpful advice you'll receive if you take it to heart. No one can get you to Gold 1 except you. Well, I guess we can, but no one can give you Gold 1 skills. You have to develop them yourself. Watch some streams. I found Nightblue3's bronze to challenger stream very instructive in how to deal with the different tiers as a jungler. Geranimo's was likely instructive for bot lane. Find a great top lane stream, see if he has a bronze- diamond or challenger series, and watch it. People in gold often make the same laning mistakes as those in silver - though the junglers are vastly better in gold, so you can get a lot of experience watching people climb from silver through to platinum for how people play and how you play.

Direfury

10-04-2014

Try Pawnce's stream. I've played with and against him during quite a few 'viewer customs', and every time, I've improved significantly. Listen to what Hey Doood said, and try out the streams that are being suggested.

It isn't that you need advice, it's that you need to learn.