Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A Hero from Valoran's Future! (Ask Ezreal)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PuIsefireEzreaI

09-28-2014

((The recent lore changes have put my potential ideas for this thread in a strange place. This is accentuated by the fact that a lot of the older ask threads are still set in the Institute of War. After reading Renekton's thread - an excellent one that I would recommend strongly - however, I realized that I could merely set up an office for Ezreal in Piltover.

Additionally, there is this to consider:

Quote:
RiotRunaan:
Skins typically don't have canon lore, but there's a small "alternate universe" storyline for Pulsefire Ezreal. I posted this on the EU forums, so I'll give the same short summary of the idea here:

In my mind, a couple years from "now" in Runeterra, Ezreal's wanderlust leads him down into the Southern Wastes, where he stumbles into a time warp (rampant, chaotic magic down there and all). He emerges in the distant, war-torn future, where Piltovian and Zaunite technology has advanced far beyond anything he'd ever imagined--but has wrought utter destruction across Valoran. He finds the Pulsefire armor at a crash site, and discovers that it evolves to fit his form (and, of course, meets the AI named PEARL). Ezreal takes the Pulsefire armor back through the warp in the hopes of preventing such a future from ever happening, and... well, of course, to show off his totally superior technology to the rest of the League's champions. 'Cause he's Ezreal.

Since I thoroughly enjoy the idea of Ezreal coming back to present day Valoran from a war torn future, I'll try my best to integrate these two ideas. However, due to the lore changes, Ezreal can't use his technology and newfound power for the good of the Institute of War - but he could use it to save Valoran.

I realize that since the lore as of now is not well defined, that I'm definitely 'winging it' here. Hopefully you all enjoy it. Without further ado...))

It was said that Piltover's Hextech star rods were there to provide a warm glow to the city. The alien blue light of the moon shining through a million scintillant rain drops changed that, making the city look alien and imposing.

The City of Progress. It was good to finally see it again as a whole and not a burned out husk, littered with the debris of fallen machines. He shook his head, trying to get the images out of his head. He was still amazed that he had escaped that time. He would come to jokingly refer to it as a 'grim, dark future' in the days to come. In fact, that's exactly what it was...

Before...

Ezreal emerged from a cave, believing he was still somewhere in the Southern Wastes. But the air seemed much colder. Something wasn't right. The mountains looked different. He shouldn't be able to see the coast from near Shurima. But this place...

The torn and blackened earth before him could only have resulted from the chaos of war. Massive war machines, their parts strewn hundreds of feet across the land, had torn furrows in the dirt, alongside corpses of foot soldiers.

He recognized the Coastline now. This wasn't the Southern Wastes. He was somewhere north of the Ironspike Mountains, between Piltover and Zaun. But not the Piltover he had left only a week earlier.

The very air seemed tainted, and the sky pregnant with dark clouds. The landscape had changed, and Ezreal could not tell whether it was snow that fell from the sky... or ashes. Perhaps both. Eventually, his curiosity overcame his fear and he decided to venture out onto the battlefield.

Dwarfed by the torn metal of the destroyed war machines, Ezreal slowly looked among the wreckage for any semblance of life. Although chaotic, the destruction seemed too perfect to be real. Nothing moved. Nothing remained whole. Then suddenly, the shifting of snow and ash from behind a large steel girder alerted Ezreal, who tensed up and crouched, nervously trying to avoid detection.

"Easy kid. What are... you doing out here? Why... are you dressed so strange?" The man's halting speech was a clear indicator of his condition. Ezreal walked closer to get a better view. The man wore ragged armor, and his leg seemed to be trapped under the girder. Ezreal was taken aback, and considered trying to lift it, but... it would've taken a dozen men to move the hulking mass of metal.

"I don't know what happened here. I was exploring the Southern Wastes. I got lost, and I walked out of a cave, but... I'm lost," Ezreal said. The man laughed.

"The Southern Wastes? Kid... you're a long way from there. You see that burned out shell of a town over there? That's Piltover. What's your name?" He asked. Although clearly in pain, it seemed he had accepted his fate and was just glad to have someone to talk to.

Ezreal frowned at the man's condition, sad that he couldn't help.

"Ezreal, from Piltover. I'm a mapmaker." Ezreal said. The man did a double take.

"The name's Matthias. Ezreal? Ezreal... I know that name. You have the same name as that one folk hero? The kid who found that one amulet of power in some tomb, right?" The soldier laughed gruffly. Ezreal held up his glove, showing that the amulet was stored within it. The man's eyes grew wide.

"But... how? You're in the wrong time, kid." He said. "There's nothing here but death. We did this to ourselves."

"The magic of the Southern Wastes was always unstable. A rift in reality, to the future of Valoran wouldn't be impossible, just highly unlikely..." Ezreal said, more to himself than to Matthias.

"That doesn't matter now, kid. Can you get back to your time? There's bound to be some technology here that can help you out. My suit is destroyed, but if you head north a few miles you'll reach our base. Look for the bunker on the far side, near the coast. Our Tactical unit was housed there. If there was still something intact, it would be there." He said, coughing afterward.

Ezreal nodded, and then said, "I'll come back for you. Maybe the suit can help me move this thing too." But Matthias was already shaking his head.

"I'm done here, kid... Even if you could move this thing, I've taken too many shots to the side. The only reason I haven't died yet is because I haven't been moving around. It'll be good for me to go... with all that I've seen so far. Damn Zaunites." He said, nodding to Ezreal and continuing, "Good luck. Be careful. Hopefully that amulet of yours can keep you safe."

Ezreal nodded, walking away from Matthias. His heart leapt into his throat as he looked closer at Piltover in the distance, smoke still rising from it's remains.

'What happened...?' He asked himself. The battlefield was quiet, a perfect but eerily tranquil place for Ezreal to be alone with his thoughts. The base was just before him, and without difficulty he was able to locate the northern bunker. Even in such a fortified place, the destruction was present. Corpses of Zaunite soldiers seemed to outnumber the ones from Piltover, but there was no more movement.

The bunker door was malfunctioning. Ezreal barely recognized the techmaturgical that operated the door - it was far more advanced than anything else he'd seen in his own time. It was a dark metal door, sliding up and down repeatedly. The control panel to the left was badly damaged, wires and circuits hanging from the box riddled with bullet holes. Ezreal decided not to chance getting stuck and arcane shifted through it, to the other side. Thin strips of light along either side of the floor shed their ghastly yellow glow, illuminating the otherwise dark bunker. It seemed like, except for the door, this place had largely escaped the harm of war. Matthias had been right.

Cautiously, Ezreal delved into the bunker. He realized his heart rate was elevated, and he took several deep breaths, thinking, ‘It’s just another cave, some new place to explore.’

He soon realized that there were only three rooms to the bunker. The first was some kind of a mess room, with tables arrayed neatly in rows. The bar for serving food had a stack of food trays that likely hadn’t seen use in weeks. The second seemed like a surveillance room of some kind, but the screens within only displayed darkness and static.

The last one was more promising - it was an armory. Guns of various makes lined on the racks. For every gun there, the space where three more could have fit was empty. Ezreal shook his head, knowing exactly where they were now. The other side of the room contained stasis tubes. Most of them were empty, but a few of them contained suits of armor.

Fascinated, Ezreal approached the closest one. The same ghastly yellow lights circled the base of the plastic stasis tube. Upon touching the surface of the display, it shifted aside fluidly. Ezreal gasped, stepping back at the suddenness. The suit glowed with a blue light from within, hanging from a stand inside the case. Unlike Matthias’, this suit was brand new; unscathed by the ravages of battle. It was constructed of overlapping blue and silver plates, clearly made to conform with the wearer’s body and to not impair movement. The left arm bore a large cannon fitted over the glove, likely capable of feats of serious destruction. Additionally, the back of the suit seemed to house some sort of self propulsion device, likely also containing the suit’s power source. Ezreal looked at his own glove, and then took it off, undressing himself rapidly.

The suit slid on like a second skin. The under layer of flexible material was softer than anything else he had ever worn, and the plates over it seemed to shrink a bit to fit his form - smaller than any soldier. As soon as he slid the visor and head guard over his ears and eyes, a voice was heard.

“Pulsefire Systems online,” A robotic female voice said through the headphones Ezreal had just slipped on. He jumped a bit.

“Hello…?” He asked.

“Hello. I am PEARL. Identify yourself, soldier.” The voice demanded.

“My name is Ezreal, but I’m no soldier. Someone named Matthias told me to come here and find a suit. He was a soldier,” Ezreal said, moving around a bit, getting used to the way his suit felt. He picked up the amulet, detaching it from his glove and carrying it in his right hand.

“Input valid. Matthias Arthur was a soldier of Piltover. Now Deceased. Your likeness and demeanor identify you as a citizen of Piltover. Is this true?” PEARL asked.

Ezreal nodded, unsure how the AI knew this.

“PEARL, I need to get back to my own time. I’m not from this time. What year is it?” Ezreal asked, afraid at the possible answers.

“Displaying related information now,” PEARL said, displaying the year, date, and time on the display in his visor. Ezreal was shocked.

“Seven hundred and thirty years after my time… I’m surprised that Matthias knew my name at all. I guess I must have been in the history books,” He said, smiling just slightly despite the situation.

“Seven hundred and thirty years. Does this mean you are Ezreal, the Prodigal Explorer?” PEARL asked.

“That’s me.”

“There are only a few ways you could have ended up in this time, Ezreal. The Southern Wastes of Runeterra are host to very unstable magic, and that is the most likely cause. However, the ruins of Icathia also are likely to contain rifts to the Void, where many Techmaturgical experts theorize time travel would technically be possible,” PEARL said. Ezreal shook his head.

“No, I was in the Southern Wastes. But if possible, I would just like to go back to my own Piltover,” He said, sitting down.

Ezreal glanced around at the room. The cold steel of the floor and the dry concrete walls stared back at him, unyielding. This room had held technology that many had used only for death.

“Maybe when I get back there I can prevent this future from happening, PEARL,” Ezreal said.

“That could result in a paradox, but my database does not include enough information for a thoroughly researched answer,” PEARL said. Ezreal nodded and walked out of the bunker, again arcane shifting through the malfunctioning door.

“Ezreal, I lack the energy to travel through a reality rift. But that amulet you possess could possibly allow us to do so. You’ll need to combine it with the power source,” PEARL said, his display now showing him how to detach the power source housing on the back of his suit. It clipped off simply in a few places. To make things easier, he was also able to deactivate the cannon on his left arm.

After a few minutes of failed experimentation, Ezreal finally was able to use the connector rods from inside the housing to attach the amulet to the power source. Closing the housing and slipping it back in it’s place, he felt something change immediately, the display in front of him went dark for a few seconds, and the suit seemed unpowered. Then, the jet propulsion system levitated him slightly off of the ground, and it hummed with energy. PEARL’s display came back online.

“Pulsefire systems at maximum power. Coordinates set to just outside Piltover, seven hundred and thirty years before today. Relax, Ezreal. This could be an unusual experience for you,” PEARL said, and Ezreal felt himself rising higher. He accelerated upward, and then the suit seemed to be flying back toward the cave he originally emerged from. Streaking across the sky above the battlefield, he was glad that he’d be leaving it behind.

His relief was shortlived, however, as he realized that the suit had him hurtling toward the mountainside at blinding speeds.

“PEARL!” He shouted as they hurtled into the cave. Ezreal raised his hands over his head, but strangely, felt nothing. Everything seemed to go dark, until eventuality he noticed rings of blue light surrounding him, which dissipated shortly after his appearance. He was standing still now, looking down Piltover’s streets. It was raining lightly, and even at night, he recognized the same city of Piltover that he called home. The blue light of the star rods was unmistakeable.

Ezreal rifled through the day’s mail, smiling when he looked over the address; ‘Ezreal’s Academy for Arcane and Techmaturgical Studies’.

After the shock of visiting Valoran’s future, Ezreal realized that he had to teach people how to use technology properly. Working with the brilliant minds of Piltover, he had been able to establish a place to do just that. His friends from around Valoran could stop by to visit him in his office, and mail was always welcome.

It was good to be back.

pulsefire-ezreal-219930.jpg

BloatedBile

09-28-2014

dear ezreal,

are you still an explorer when you have that clunky suit on?

-bb

PuIsefireEzreaI

09-28-2014

Quote:
BloatedBile:
dear ezreal,

are you still an explorer when you have that clunky suit on?

-bb

Ezreal looked over the letter he had just received and laughed. He wrote back.

Bloated Bile,

I certainly like to think so. If anything, the suit only enhances my exploration capabilities. See, the suit allowed me to not only explore Valoran now, but also Valoran in times yet to come. It helped me get out of of many sticky situations.

Sincerely,
Ezreal

Ezreal sent the letter off, happy to answer any other letters from fans or visitors who happened by his shop.

Unexisted

09-28-2014

Dear Ezreal,

How is Lux treating you? I heard you would take her out to explore once in a while, is she a tough cookie?

- Agenor Coliar

Aidox Omega

09-28-2014

A letter would arrive. It would have the P.E.A.R.L. symbol on it, suggested someone with a P.E.A.R.L. suit had stamped it. If PEARL scanned it, she would have found that it was a generation older then Ezreal's.

Dear Ezreal,

May we talk?

From,
Karon

PuIsefireEzreaI

09-29-2014

Ezreal sat down on his leather couch, leaning back. He loved running his academy, and his first class of young ones from Piltover and Demacia were taking to the study enthusiastically. Even so, it was hard work, and he'd likely need to hire more teachers if it kept progressing like it did. Although he loved teaching, his heart belonged out there...

He looked out of the window, toward the horizon. Maybe there was some island yet unexplored out there. It wouldn't take him long to just fly out there. Adjusting the Pulsefire system to divert power to the propulsion unit, he may even reach the speed of sound. The suit hung in a tube in his living room - a tube that he had attempted to fashion after the one he had originally found it in.

Interrupting him from his daydreams, there was a swift knock at the door, and a few envelopes slipped through the mail slot onto the ground. The Prodigal Explorer looked away from the suit and hurriedly picked them up. Tearing the first one open with ease, he read it.

Quote:
Unexisted:
Dear Ezreal,

How is Lux treating you? I heard you would take her out to explore once in a while, is she a tough cookie?

- Agenor Coliar

'Lux...?' Ezreal thought. He hadn't spoken to her since he disappeared. He remembered seeing her on this diplomatic visits to Demacia, where they had first met, and then only a few meetings later when they had...

Ezreal blushed. He needed to speak to her again. But he was so busy with the academy. Hopefully Lux and his schedules could magically align and they could go on a date sometime. That would be wonderful. Focusing back on the letter, he wrote in blocky script.

Dear Agenor Coliar,

I haven't spoken to Lux in a few weeks... I think she still believes me to be missing. However, I've decided that I should speak to her soon. Perhaps I'll even ask her if she'd like to go exploring with me. Additionally, I'm not sure if 'a tough cookie' would be a phrase I'd use to describe Lux.

Curiously,
Ezreal

Ezreal folded his letter, put it in an envelope, and slipped it into the 'out' section of his mailbox. Looking through the usual bills and Academy letters, another one stood out. Strangely, it had a symbol stamped on it that matched the one from his Pulsefire suit identically. He opened it quickly.

Quote:
pandasword101:

Dear Ezreal,

May we talk?

From,
Karon

Ezreal huffed.

"How cryptic," he said aloud. He wrote back.

Karon,

Yes, we may indeed talk. Assuming you aren't hostile. Or a Noxian of some sort. I hate those guys. Stop by on the weekends after ten, or weekdays after four, and I'd be happy to have a discussion.

Sincerely,
Ezreal

Sealing this letter up, he sent it off as well, hoping that whatever would come of it would be good news.

Aidox Omega

09-29-2014

Karon walked to Ezreal's door, and knocked. His pulsefire suit was pulsating, and he was sure Ezreal's was to, as two different ones both not in their time had located each other.

MagmaDragon12

09-30-2014

((I am thinking of introducing an OC I made and found Ezreal the most likely champion to stumble upon him but I'm not exactly sure HOW to introduce him.
Link to OC (http://summoners.shurelia.com/profiles/4740) ))

PuIsefireEzreaI

10-02-2014

Quote:
pandasword101:
Karon walked to Ezreal's door, and knocked. His pulsefire suit was pulsating, and he was sure Ezreal's was to, as two different ones both not in their time had located each other.

Ezreal was engrossed in a fascinating book about the story of an Ionian sorceress when suddenly there was a knock on his door. He put the book down and looked over at the door, but was interrupted on that short journey by the fact that his Pulsefire Suit was flashing blue around the power source. He shook his head and then opened the door.

"Hello? How can I help you?" He asked.

Quote:
MagmaDragon12:
((I am thinking of introducing an OC I made and found Ezreal the most likely champion to stumble upon him but I'm not exactly sure HOW to introduce him.
Link to OC (http://summoners.shurelia.com/profiles/4740) ))

((If you feel he would be welcome in the city of Piltover, you can have him just show up outside of Ezreal's office. There's a large yard outside of it. Show up there and I can have Ezreal go outside to investigate - I'm sure he'd hear a statue walking through the place. Or he could see him. I welcome your patronage to my thread, friend!))

MagmaDragon12

10-02-2014

Quote:
PuIsefireEzreaI:
((If you feel he would be welcome in the city of Piltover, you can have him just show up outside of Ezreal's office. There's a large yard outside of it. Show up there and I can have Ezreal go outside to investigate - I'm sure he'd hear a statue walking through the place. Or he could see him. I welcome your patronage to my thread, friend!))

((Well why I thought Ez would be the most likely person to stumble upon him is because Ezreal is an EXPLORER and Kalas is a animated statue from a LOST CIVILIZATION, you can probably piece the emphasis together))