Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Award bonus IP for "First game of the day"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaintHax

09-28-2014

There is no "Discuss LOL mechanics" thread, so here it goes

I've been trying to get some bot games in due to my network being unreliable, and it's a miserable experience now. It used to not be, but the community has changed in the last 2 months. People are going to get their "first win" in by doing the quick TT bot game, and there is no team work or courtesy. Your lane gets taxed, there is KS'ing, complaining, afk'ing, and even stealing last hits. The reason is b/c they don't WANT to play a TT Bot match, they are doing it for the bonus IP.

So I propose that the award be given for the "first game", not the "first win". Here's why from a game dev standpoint.

1. You are incentivizing frequent gameplay. One of the biggest bonuses to Riot is more competitors for shorter queue times. This still occurs, and will provide more opponents for the more popular PvP modes.
  2. A complaint maybe that you are "rewarding losing", but you are "rewarding playing". If someone has limited time for gameplay and loses their SR game today, they will just play a TT Bot game anyway-- and still get rewarded. Nothing changes here.
  3. Less caustic-- people will be playing what they want to play. No more will someone say "all push bot for quick FWOTD" when someone else wants to try out a new build.
  4. Less caustic-- deserves to be here twice, b/c this is probably the biggest reason people don't get into a mature MOBA, and leave their current MOBA.

bendystraw54

09-28-2014

I like this, but just saying most people (in higher levels) do bot matches to troll and be all "yolo." Although I do think the first game is more rewarding than first win, since in another stand point, if you have bad teams and keep losing all day well there goes your "first win" ip bonus.

Dojity

09-29-2014

As for one of the people only playing Twisted Treeline bots for the first win of the day, this wouldn't change a thing for me. I'd still play it to get my quick 150IP, because Twisted Treeline bots is the fastest to finish gamemode.

What needs to be done is have first win IP be different depending on what gamemode someone is playing. Ranked solo queue gives the highest first win IP, while 3v3 beginner bots gives the lowest.

SaintHax

09-29-2014

Dojity, do you only play one game each day? Else I'm not sure how the game finishing faster would help you.

jonniboye

10-04-2014

Finishing bot games faster for the first win of the day is because people who do that don't WANT to play against bots, but want to get their first win in as fast as possible so it can come up again the next day. Playing against people is always a toss up whether you will actually win or not, and can be very frustrating when you lose multiple games in a row when you're simply trying to get your first win of the day in.

Finishing that bot game faster allows players to get that 150 ip bonus with a high degree of certainty while still allowing people to go back to playing against people within a quarter of an hour.

That being said, in a bot game, unless a player purposefully picks a support champ then they have no real reason to allow others to get more CS and kills. Each player needs the gold equally, so it makes sense that everybody tries to secure those kills when possible. Your best bet is trying to work with whoever you lane with to split things as evenly as possible.

..On a final note, as far as straight up, blatant kill stealing goes, that's just a jerk move that could happen in any game type (maybe a bit less likely in ranked, if barely). You can either learn how to secure those kills carefully, ask your teammates not to do it, or get over it and realize that it's just a bot game.