Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to control anger?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Derlicious Salad

09-27-2014

Well, I've always had an anger problem growing up, to the point where I've had to go to therapy. With the new Riot tribunal system, it's hard for me to not get angry with teammates in ranked who don't know what they're doing. Today I played about 13 games. I lost 9 of them. I don't understand how to keep your cool as a low elo person who is trying to prove themselves and rank up.

I wish I could stop my toxic ways, especially because I'm on my last legs. I was banned for 2 weeks twice in a row, and i'm sure the next violation will be a permanent ban. Other than my therapy, what is a good way to keep boiling anger under control? My passion for League of Legends is more than anything I've ever experienced in my life, and I really want to improve my behavior so I can set an example to others.

I just got finished played 5 games, 1 of which I won. In the other 4, i wasn't so friendly and garnered lots of warnings for "negative behavior"; i'm so dissapointed in myself. I just don't know what I can do. I'm sure its already over and that i'm going to be permanently banned... I don't know, I just need help with improving my behavior.

AJStarhiker

09-28-2014

I guessing you know what tends to lead to triggers for you? If you find you can't let an insult go unchallenged, mute them. If you find you comment on bad plays, I 've seen the suggestion of unbinding the Enter key so you can't use chat (extreme, but if you need it...)

Look for good plays. It takes a certain mental shift from picking out bad plays to noticing when allies do something right. If you choose not to use the unbind chat option, a quick ty or gj can go a long way towards encouraging teammates to help you out again later.

I also like to suggest changing out your gaming playlist. Intense or fast-paced can help get you pumped for the game. If the music is angry, you'll already be inclined towards that mindset before you ever reach champion select. I like soundtracks because there's plenty of good combat pieces.

Naelarstrasz

09-28-2014

Get mad at the computer screen. Yell at it a bit. It's a masochist. Trust me.

Veigar has a new quote "Don't get mad, get sadistic," which can be quite helpful!

When you're losing a game, you have nothing to lose with trying out an idea. You're already losing, so you only have one direction to go... Winning! Get creative. It may entertain you away from anger entirely.

While you'll have times you flip your ****, I just hope that your anger can get redirected away from the chatbox so you don't get banhammered.

Stress balls are nifty too.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

09-28-2014

Quote:
Derlicious Salad:
Well, I've always had an anger problem growing up, to the point where I've had to go to therapy. With the new Riot tribunal system, it's hard for me to not get angry with teammates in ranked who don't know what they're doing. Today I played about 13 games. I lost 9 of them. I don't understand how to keep your cool as a low elo person who is trying to prove themselves and rank up.

I know it isn't as easy as it sounds, but one approach that you can take is NOT trying to rank up. Sometimes you're going to do well and lose. Sometimes you're going to do poorly and win. If you're going to get mad about losses, you're basing your attitude on something you can't control. Instead, play to improve yourself. When you do poorly and win, be angry at yourself. And when you do well and lose, pat yourself on the back and say well done. This is a better alternative than focusing on the results of the game so much.

If it helps, take a look at the first game of my Promos into Gold (http://www.twitch.tv/onlyusemehiten/c/5199893). I felt that I did fine in lane, outfarming a Renekton as Irelia even though I died a few times. After laning phase, I continued to do fine and helped get a few kills, but the gold advantage they had over our team was significant due to both other lanes losing fairly hard. Not once did I get upset about it, even though this was obviously an important match. I was pretty pleased that I did as well as I did, and had no interest in engaging with the other players who were blaming each other (and me) for the loss. Their performance isn't something I can control. Their skill level isn't something I can control. Rather than reacting emotionally to things that are out of my control, it makes more sense to me to just concentrate on being happy or sad about my own performance.

Jubbinaut

Recruiter

09-28-2014

Quote:
OhBoyItsaMegaman:
I know it isn't as easy as it sounds, but one approach that you can take is NOT trying to rank up. Sometimes you're going to do well and lose. Sometimes you're going to do poorly and win. If you're going to get mad about losses, you're basing your attitude on something you can't control. Instead, play to improve yourself. When you do poorly and win, be angry at yourself. And when you do well and lose, pat yourself on the back and say well done. This is a better alternative than focusing on the results of the game so much.

If it helps, take a look at the first game of my Promos into Gold (http://www.twitch.tv/onlyusemehiten/c/5199893). I felt that I did fine in lane, outfarming a Renekton as Irelia even though I died a few times. After laning phase, I continued to do fine and helped get a few kills, but the gold advantage they had over our team was significant due to both other lanes losing fairly hard. Not once did I get upset about it, even though this was obviously an important match. I was pretty pleased that I did as well as I did, and had no interest in engaging with the other players who were blaming each other (and me) for the loss. Their performance isn't something I can control. Their skill level isn't something I can control. Rather than reacting emotionally to things that are out of my control, it makes more sense to me to just concentrate on being happy or sad about my own performance.

Not only is this fantastic advice for helping to keep you from raging at other players, it's also paradoxically good advice for gaining rank.

Nothing will help you gain rank faster than being better than the other players you're currently ranked with. Focusing your attention on improving your play (rather than on what other people in your game did) will do more to make you a better player, and thus lead you to win more, and thus lead you to gain rank.

I saw a couple of plat players in the SR forums do threads where they intentionally set an account up in low Bronze, and then chronicled each game on their way to wherever. Exactly one of them managed to make it out of Silver without losing a game, because some games are just unwinnable.

You're going to run into the same problem. Maybe more often. But losing one game doesn't matter to your rank, because as long as you're winning 50+% of your games, you will gain rank. So why worry about what those guys were doing? You're not likely to play with them again, so why let it matter? Much better to focus on where you could have done more that game, so that next time, you'll have a better idea of what to do in similar situations.

Cute Slave

09-28-2014

give yourself a temporary chat restrict by changing the keymap for chatting from the enter key to a random key, like scroll lock

Solunatic

10-05-2014

You can stop playing the game for a while preventing more game losses. League is here to Cheer you up, so don't get all serious about it ~

Co0kie

Recruiter

10-05-2014

Quote:
Cute Slave:
give yourself a temporary chat restrict by changing the keymap for chatting from the enter key to a random key, like scroll lock

This is actually a great suggestion. Bu doing so, you won't be able to flame at others and they wont have to live with you anger. Do this until you aren't tempted to curse at a teammate every time they do something stupid.

Trust me, I know the feeling.