Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Idea/Thought: League of Legends Lore-Focused Game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FrostiiBlue

09-27-2014

Just putting this out there, but I realized how little lore is focused in the Fields of Justice. You only have specific hidden interactions with champions, their description on their champion page, and the internet. What if Riot made a RPG game focused specifically on lore? I would think of it as a Legend of Zelda type of game.

-Huge open worlds depicting each of the places of Runeterra,for example exploring Freljord or Piltover with your champion.
-Story Mode(of course)
-Online Free-Roam Multiplayer (I would debate on this, honestly) and competitive PvP gametypes.
-A combat system where you have your champions abilities, spells, and some new additions.
-Update the Story Mode every time a new area/champion/lore is released, for example the recent release of Shurima and Azir.

Any other thoughts on this? I really do want Riot to start focusing a lot on lore, but the Fields of Justice really don't portray this well(This is my first post btw)

Angeluslight

09-27-2014

Aside from a whole new game taking so long to produce, it wouldn't feel like the League of Legends anymore.

Just as you said, not much lore is focused on the Fields of Justice, which is part of what sparked the retcon, but we can simply go about fixing that rather than changing the whole lore or creating a whole new game.

I'd say let LoL be the MOBA it currently is and just work on the lore without having to disconnect it entirely from the Institute and Fields of Justice. After all, the Fields themselves have a history and connection to important parts of the lore.

LordHippoman

Recruiter

09-27-2014

Welcome to the forums, first poster!

This idea gets tossed around a fair bit. I've seen several people talk about wanting an Elder Scrolls esque League spinoff, for example. The issue with it is that Riot really seems focused on their one product. If they wanted to make another game, especially one as big as you described, it would take a whole lot of time and resources, and it's a huge commitment. Riot isn't as big a studio as like Nintendo or EA, so it would definitely be a big move on their part. I'd play the hell out of that game, but it seems unlikely at the moment.

Cookiehime

09-27-2014

Yeah, that'd be neat. But turning LoL into another genre would take plenty of effort, time and money.

Although, I remember some people posting about a lore mode where you get to play canon matches like the Ionia-Noxus match. Players would compete against one another to determine the outcome of a lore match using a limited pool of champions representing opposing factions. In fact, there are the community-based matches called "Factions" organized by members of the LoL community. You may want to check it out. Not sure why Riot did not think about implementing such a game mode. Would have been sorta neat to allow players to shape the fate of Valoran and its different city-states or at least allow them to relive and replay the canon matches.

I was a bit disappointed when Dominion and Howling Abyss maps were released and there was no lore based matches to determine the victors from opposing factions. For e.g, they could have organized a lore-based match in Dominion between Demacia and Noxus to determine who gets to claim the precious resources in Kalamanda. Or a special lore match on the Howling Abyss between Lissandra, versus Ashe and Sej who might have decided to team up with Ashe to defeat the Ice Witch, reclaiming dominion on some Freljordian territories that Lissandra might have taken by force.

Idk, those are mere ideas. But I kinda wished they followed the same vein as the Ionia versus Noxus match. Perhaps it's too late now...

SecretLore

09-27-2014

Another problem would be more or less the characters.
I mean there are so many characters and nations and so on,who would you play as?Who would be the focus of the story/stories?
And it'd be also difficult to make a story where at the end all the champs are treated rather equally,I mean it'd be kinda jarring not to see your favourite champ at all or when he/she/it gets depicted in a weaker way(like if you are able to defeat a certain champ)