Camera Zoom Out?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

palabor

01-19-2010

I am wondering if there is a way to zoom the camera even further out then its existing max? Ie- is there a code I can somehow add to do this like in World of Warcraft?

RyuuKitten

01-19-2010

Not any more.

warmonkey

01-19-2010

Yeah Riot hasn't said **** about us being able to do this for a long time. Back in beta you could by editing a few files, then they stopped us from doing that (and pretty much everyone who knew how to do it.. had), and there was a poll that pretty clearly showed the majority of people feel the current max view is too squished and tight.

And they've just pretty much not said word 1 about it since, which is really annoying because it's a no-brainer change. No coding, nothing, just change those same numbers the beta testers were changing. Bam.

bobthegood

01-19-2010

"Bam! Take it Bam Bam!"

"Bam Bam! Take it Emiril!"

"Bam!"

Khrane

The Council

01-19-2010

Back in beta, I knew someone who kept their view so far out that he could see about 1/5th of the map when he was all the way zoomed out... It was completely ridiculous-- it's nigh impossible to gank someone with that range of vision and a couple wards.

palabor

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrane View Post
Back in beta, I knew someone who kept their view so far out that he could see about 1/5th of the map when he was all the way zoomed out... It was completely ridiculous-- it's nigh impossible to gank someone with that range of vision and a couple wards.
I guess maybe that is one of the reasons why Riot has decided not to revisit this issue =(

ShadowedFate

01-20-2010

the minimap is still EXTREMELY full of information and takes little work to monitor.

Zeron

01-20-2010

I'd be happy if I could zoom out maybe another 2-3 steps. I don't need to see an entire lane on my screen, but I'd like to be able to zoom out enough that if, for instance, I'm on purple side I can see Blitzcrank if he's in range to grab me.

ShadowedFate

01-20-2010

hmm maybe I dont have the problem you all have by playing at 1920x1080, I can see plenty of area around me and I dont think any skill has a range outside of my viewing area.

warmonkey

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrane View Post

That's ridiculous and untrue. Map awareness is a skill. If you compare new/unskilled players, it WILL make a difference because it makes up for a skill they lack.. but when you talk about people who know what's up, there's very literally no difference. The minimap is full of information. You don't even need to notice what exactly is happening, if you see a red circle disappear to a certain area you know the enemy team is MIA and where they are.

Zooming out further would not change that one bit. The entirety of the map that is visible to your team is visible on the minimap at all times, and you're free to move your camera around to see all of it at any time.

Zooming out further wouldn't change game balance or play one bit. It'd simply make it more comfortable. And on certain champs with long-range abilities (Rupture for one), you could actually lock the camera while running someone down trying to cast on them rather than continually sliding your unlocked view around (it's not hard, it's just really ****ing annoying later-game when movement speeds are 4-500).

It would also make things much easier for the top team when approaching bottom's top towers. That's just an awkward viewing angle. "Unlock your camera!".. yeah, no **** Mr. Pr0, but with the camera unlocked in order to keep the enemy's feet visible.. your head is going to be cut off. You can't see behind you. There's still a minimap, so you're not blind, and so zooming out further would not introduce any new information that we DON'T ALREADY HAVE.. it would simply make actually playing the game more comfortable.

tldr; there's absolutely no reason we are not being allowed a larger max zoom distance (and/or wider camera view width). The ONLY reason Riot has given for this was "performance issues", but I believe after they put out that Winter Lagdown map that reason has become complete bull****. Er, especially since the majority who experimented with wider / further views reported *very little* performance loss at any reasonable size.

Oh, and playing with 1/5 of the map visible at once is not playable, Teemo is about the size of the letter O.. and no, a larger monitor won't fix that, mine's 22" 1680x1050, there's REALLY not many monitors larger than this and those that are aren't larger by a great amount. And if we're talking about just bumping max_cam_width from 56 to 64, and max_zoom_distance from 2200 to 2600.. that's such a small change it wouldn't introduce any advantages to a larger monitor, because it's not a significant change from our current view. It'd be enough to see the full targetable area for Rupture and other similarly-ranged abilities, and not a whole lot more tbh. It is pretty dumb that you can't even cast a max-range Rupture directly towards the bottom of your screen with your camera centered on Cho. YES, "OMG UNLOCK YOUR CAMERA" GUY, I KNOW, "UNLOCK YOUR CAMERA OMG". There's still no reason for the max viewable area to not be able to contain the full castable range for a non-global spell. There's really no way to explain that when the difference is *so small*. It's like a chintzy plastic keyless entry fob for a luxury car that breaks when you drop it. Sure, it's not a problem, just don't drop it, but you'd really think that such a small detail could have been handled better, considering how easily it could be remedied.