Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The problem with essence reaver

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Summerfest

09-26-2014

Essence Reaver 3200 gold (850 gold)
-B. F. Sword 1550 gold
-Vampiric Scepter 800 gold
+80 AD, 10% LS, 2-8% mana steal.

The #1 reason you would a mana sustain item is for laning. However, by time you can afford this item, the laning phase is usually over or close to over. The only change this item needs is to introduce the mana steal/ sustain earlier in the build path.

Imagine if Chalice was removed from Athene's and it was built out of needlessly large rod and fendix codex. It would destroy the item. Why? Chalice for lane is the #1 reason athene's is built.

TL;DR: Essence reaver needs mana sustain in it's build path.

The5lacker

09-26-2014

It also needs a source of CDR so we don't have a stat pulled out of someone's ass.

HRM. Mana sustain and CDR...Mana sustain and CDR...do we have any items that fill that particular niche? I mean, it'd be an idol solution, but I remember saying that items losing stats was forbidden.

Chromatic Eagle

09-27-2014

Who even uses it? I've seen a Jayce use it before. Who else?

FantasySniper

09-28-2014

Quote:
Chromatic Eagle:
Who even uses it? I've seen a Jayce use it before. Who else?

A lot of champions. Even Warwick, Kayle, or Twisted Fate can use it to some measure of success, granted they're building AD.

Chromatic Eagle

09-28-2014

So if other champions use it, is it that bad? May be intended as an adc item but it's good that others use it right?

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

09-28-2014

Quote:
Chromatic Eagle:
So if other champions use it, is it that bad? May be intended as an adc item but it's good that others use it right?

They built it to fill a niche--mana sustain and AD that wasn't Manamune--and the champions who can use it (I hesitate to say "needed it&quot are not all in one archetype.

Zoulzopan

09-28-2014

i use it on lucian, i do it not because of the mana sustain but so i can get the 10% to reach 40% cdr.

i wish it give crit chance too tho like maybe make it more expensive but add in a crit item on it, it will be so worth.

even 15% crit on it would be so much more rewarding

KMannnnn1

09-28-2014

If it had crit on it, it would be an appreciably different item. The tradeoffs you get are that you lose damaging stats to gain mana sustain and CDR. Worth, if you can take advantage of that.

Melvear

09-29-2014

Quote:
The5lacker:
It also needs a source of CDR so we don't have a stat pulled out of someone's ass.

HRM. Mana sustain and CDR...Mana sustain and CDR...do we have any items that fill that particular niche? I mean, it'd be an idol solution, but I remember saying that items losing stats was forbidden.

While I understand the connection you make, I rather like the idea of having to do something to get mana back and not just stand around. That, and items that lose stats when you upgrade them are not well received I believe.

Why not create the mini version as a component?

Longsword+gold = 10 ad + Reaver's passive (+cdr?)

Reaver then would build from that, a vamp scepter and a pick axe

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

09-29-2014

Quote:
Melvear:
While I understand the connection you make, I rather like the idea of having to do something to get mana back and not just stand around. That, and items that lose stats when you upgrade them are not well received I believe.

Why not create the mini version as a component?

Longsword+gold = 10 ad + Reaver's passive (+cdr?)

Reaver then would build from that, a vamp scepter and a pick axe

So, basically, Lifesteal Scepter, but with Reaver's effect instead of Lifesteal.

Or, we could just put MP5 on Essence Reaver like the OP is suggesting, by adding Forbidden Idol to the build like 5lacker said. Because that fixes the two main problem with the item; lack of natural mana sustain, and no explanation for the CDR.