Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot, If you are going to not allow people to play ranked, then remove ranked decay.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GlobDaBlob1

09-24-2014

Quote:
KirbyCake:
decay is in here for a reason, but there's really no point of it since this game is not competitive and people need to get over rankings.

the reason is because of the rigged random walking theorem.

let's say you have a true 1200 elo skilled player. If his probability of winning any game is greater than 0 ( which is the case in league, there is a non-zero chance that a team of all bronzes can beat all challengers ) and he's allowed to play an arbitrarily large number of games, he can eventually reach rank 1 which is like 2900 elo?

if his current elo is below 1200, then by weighted random walking since his probability of winning is greater than 50% he can hit 1200 elo after an arbitrarily large number of games. since his probability of winning is non-zero, with probability 1 after a arbitrarily large number of games he will reach 2900 elo.

What happens if he is forced to play when he hits 2900 elo? he will most likely drop.

This is very incorrect. IF a player that is bronze level has a 10% chance of winning a game (above 0) and a 90% chance of losing, he will not get to 2900 elo by spamming games. Actually the more games he plays the closer he will get to his actually rank, the same way the more coin flips you do the closer you will get to having a .5 frequency of each side landing up.

GlobDaBlob1

09-24-2014

Quote:
MMHSTerror:
Why should they focus on getting rid of ranked decay because of toxicity?

Ranked decay exists for a reason: to consistently evaluate the skill of a player on the ELO ladder.
If you haven't played for a reasonably amount of time, your skills are likely to be outdated and ELO decay reflects that.

E.G. if a S1 Gold player stopped playing League completely until S4, do you still think they belong in Gold ELO for S4? Of course not, you'll evaluate their skill again. That is essentially the purpose of decay, to create a consistent evaluation of skill.

Remember that ranked resets at the start of each season.

MMHSTerror

09-24-2014

Quote:
GlobDaBlob1:

It does, but that is not a consistent evaluation of skill. One complete season is not always consistent in META. Remember how Feral Flare? Spirit stone?

If you want to use your logic to remove ELO Decay, they would have to only apply patches relating to champion balance and implementation at the end of each season.

NedStark21

09-24-2014

Quote:
GlobDaBlob1:
I have over 100 ranked games played and im plat 4. Im in college and the season is almost over so there is no way I have to time to put in to get to diamond, and just reaching a higher division in plat wont mean anything, so im just playing normals until next season.

Why should I be forced into playing ranked games just to stay in play 4 when I just want to chill and play normals with my friends when i have the time to play league?

1 game a month isn't a big deal and I don't know how anyone could honestly complain about that... if your chat restricted... well that's your own damn fault.

DemonicSothe

09-24-2014

Quote:
GlobDaBlob1:

In order to give everyone a chance to start climbing again. Hidden mmr stays the same, evident in people being seeded in high gold/plat and others in low silver.

NedStark21

09-24-2014

Quote:
GlobDaBlob1:

ranked resets... not your MMR.

GlobDaBlob1

09-24-2014

Quote:
thefenceturtle:
Who cares if toxic players decay

Also getting ranked/chat restricted makes you unable to get end of season rewards so who cares if you decay anyway

If this is true why do you care if people who are ranked/chat restricted don't decay?

If Riot decides that a player who has been mildly toxic deserves a 20 game chat restriction and nothing more, they will give him that restriction. But its possible with the incoming system that this means he will decay in ranked, meaning he is getting punished more than he deserved.

Its like asking why not just put someone in prison for 20 years when he only deserved 10. Who cares weather a criminal is in jail for longer right?

Blunts4Brekfast

Recruiter

09-24-2014

Quote:
GlobDaBlob1:

Why should I be forced into playing ranked games just to stay in play 4 when I just want to chill and play normals with my friends when i have the time to play league?

1) its 1 game a month. thats like 20 mins. youve spent more time than that in this crappy thread so stop acting like you dont have time.

2) you arent being FORCED into playing anything. your actions have consequences. You can choose to play a ranked game and not decay, or not play one and decay. the choice is yours. youre not being forced into anything.

NedStark21

09-24-2014

Quote:
GlobDaBlob1:
If this is true why do you care if people who are ranked/chat restricted don't decay?

If Riot decides that a player who has been mildly toxic deserves a 20 game chat restriction and nothing more, they will give him that restriction. But its possible with the incoming system that this means he will decay in ranked, meaning he is getting punished more than he deserved.

Its like asking why not just put someone in prison for 20 years when he only deserved 10. Who cares weather a criminal is in jail for longer right?

Who says the player is getting punished more than they deserved? Maybe, just maybe this is NOT an oversight and is considered one of the negatives to being a toxic player that nobody really wants to stick around anyway

Sow

Recruiter

09-24-2014

Don't get chat restrictions.